C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

SES (Service Engine Soon) Light Questions (1991 ECM)>>

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 10:30 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Default SES (Service Engine Soon) Light Questions (1991 ECM)>>

Please corrct me if I am wrong..

When you turn the key to on (engine not running) the SES Light should be lit correct? If it is not, but the car starts, will car be running in Limp Home mode?

My car will not show a SES light.. 1991 ECM and Dash harness, 1991 Gauges etc. I am wondering if the MEMCAL could also cause this condition. I have 2 ECMs and they do the same thing, but I swapped the memcal from one to the other. I have not checked the SES light wiring from the ECM to the SES Bulb (I plan to tonight), but I have tested the SES bulb and it is good.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

[Modified by -=Jeff=-, 8:31 AM 4/9/2002]
Old 04-09-2002, 02:29 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Default Re: SES (Service Engine Soon) Light Questions (1991 ECM)>> (-=Jeff=-)

TTT

anyone?
Old 04-09-2002, 07:39 PM
David-F
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff;
Why do you ask? I is the car running? Does it start? How did you check the bulb? Did you ground the terminal(terminal 1 of the red connector brown with white tracer) to check the bulb? Could a MEMCAL cause this? Well seeing how the ECM controls this light anything is possible, but if the car will not run then you need to go to the ECM and check for ign. power that turns the ECM on there is a 3amp fuse if the fuse box labled ECM make sure that get's power with the key on and that it's good. But check the fuses and try turning the SES light on by grounding the terminal at the ECM if that doesn't work then you need to check wiring, but let us know what you find.

David Fulcher
Old 04-09-2002, 07:48 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Default Re: SES (David-F)

Jeff;
Why do you ask? I is the car running? Does it start? How did you check the bulb? Did you ground the terminal(terminal 1 of the red connector brown with white tracer) to check the bulb? Could a MEMCAL cause this? Well seeing how the ECM controls this light anything is possible, but if the car will not run then you need to go to the ECM and check for ign. power that turns the ECM on there is a 3amp fuse if the fuse box labled ECM make sure that get's power with the key on and that it's good. But check the fuses and try turning the SES light on by grounding the terminal at the ECM if that doesn't work then you need to check wiring, but let us know what you find.

David Fulcher
Well I just realized there is more to it.. Does it Start, Yes, and runs.. poorly but it runs. I used a DMM across the bulb with the DIC out of the car. I am going to check a few things tonight but the other thing that happens is the Main fan also runs with key on.. I think it is the memcal (I modified mine for burning PROMs by adding a socket) I will try another MEMCAL, which I have.. I did check all the fuses and they are good (tested with a test light)

Thanks for the info David.. I will keep everyone posted.
Jeff
Old 04-10-2002, 01:13 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

UPDATE...

I did not get the SES Light to work yet, but I did fix the Fan turning on when the key is on. the MEMCAL has either a bad solder joint or is bad. My other MEMCAL worked fine.

Get notified of new replies

To SES (Service Engine Soon) Light Questions (1991 ECM)>>

Quick Reply: SES (Service Engine Soon) Light Questions (1991 ECM)>>