C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

AC Delco fuel filter vs Fram

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 04:26 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

Default AC Delco fuel filter vs Fram

I had read on the Forum in a post some time back that the AC Delco fuel filter had a larger inlet than the Fram filter. Today I changed the Fram for a new AC Delco. The opening on the AC Delco measured .389". The Fram measured .399". Applying some shade tree logic to this, I don't think it matters at all. The fuel line fits inside this opening and dumps the fuel into the inside of the filter. The inside diameter of the fuel line restricts the flow, not the inlet or outlet size of the filters.

I don't know what the inside of these two filters are like. I will save the Fram and when I next replace the filter I will take the two of them apart to see what is inside.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:33 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting... All I know is I wont run Fram anything after the bad stuff I have heard and read... I try and use AC Delco for everything I can

I wish I took pics of the inside of my original fuel filter. I took it apart out of curiosity, and it looked like a paper element and not much more...
Old 01-09-2011, 04:41 PM
PreynMantis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be curious to hear on this one. However, with the relatively minor differenc ebetween the two in cost from Rock Auto, I know I'll avoid Fram.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a Fram oil filter come apart on me years ago. Maybe I am overly cautious but I will not touch anything that has Fram printed on it.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:58 PM
Alan777
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Fram's Oil filters seemed to be the big problems in the lineup. That being said, the only thing Fram I'd use is an air filter.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:02 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Alan777
Fram's Oil filters seemed to be the big problems in the lineup. That being said, the only thing Fram I'd use is an air filter.
, & thats only if I can`t find a better one at the time I need it.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Muffin
I had a Fram oil filter come apart on me years ago. Maybe I am overly cautious but I will not touch anything that has Fram printed on it.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:47 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

About a year ago I reported on here about a Fram Gas filter that the inside came loose and was blocking fuel flow so that the car was bucking going down the road. I was lucky that it happened within a week after putting it on so the first thing I checked was the filter, or I could of had a real hard time figuring out what was wrong.. I will never ever again put anything with the name Fram on any car I own,,Period...WW

Last edited by WW7; 01-09-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:26 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Been running Fram fuel filters on the bracket car for years with no problems. Also the HP4 oil filter and haven't lost a motor yet. The HP4 is popular with a lot of racers.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:45 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

I have been using Fram oil filters on my other cars for 40+ years without a problem. The information on the fuel filter from the old search indicated that the larger opening on the AC Delco would flow more fuel. That is why I measured it, only to find that the Delco filter was smaller. But as I indicated, the lines pass thru the opening and dump the fuel directly into the filter. I will take both of them apart sometime to see what differences there are....will take pictures.

Warning, this will take time. I usually change the FF every 10,000 miles.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:51 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by John A. Marker
I have been using Fram oil filters on my other cars for 40+ years without a problem. The information on the fuel filter from the old search indicated that the larger opening on the AC Delco would flow more fuel. That is why I measured it, only to find that the Delco filter was smaller. But as I indicated, the lines pass thru the opening and dump the fuel directly into the filter. I will take both of them apart sometime to see what differences there are....will take pictures.

Take one for the team, John. Cut a new one apart for comparison. Willie
Old 01-09-2011, 11:42 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by John A. Marker
Dear God why?!?!
Old 01-10-2011, 01:52 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by WW7
About a year ago I reported on here about a Fram Gas filter that the inside came loose and was blocking fuel flow so that the car was bucking going down the road. I was lucky that it happened within a week after putting it on so the first thing I checked was the filter, or I could of had a real hard time figuring out what was wrong.. I will never ever again put anything with the name Fram on any car I own,,Period...WW
I had the very same thing happen to me with a Fram, I won't use ANYTHING Fram from now on. AC Delco or NAPA (WIX).
Old 01-10-2011, 07:17 AM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quality of AC Delco filters and other products have gotten bad too.

All made in China.

K & N Filters Or MOROSO are only choices I make in Filters anymore.

Made in the USA and Tested under severe real world racing conditions.

Not made and tested in China with China's government smiling and laughing knowing their junk will help blow up all American Cars and Racecars.

You get what you pay for anymore.

Low cost ='s China parts.

High Cost ='s American Made parts. Steel and raw materials sourced and produced in the USA.

I choose to pay more for USA.

Most dont anymore. You get China crap instead.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:17 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by 87 vette 81 big girl
Quality of AC Delco filters and other products have gotten bad too.

All made in China.

K & N Filters Or MOROSO are only choices I make in Filters anymore.

Made in the USA and Tested under severe real world racing conditions.

Not made and tested in China with China's government smiling and laughing knowing their junk will help blow up all American Cars and Racecars.

You get what you pay for anymore.

Low cost ='s China parts.

High Cost ='s American Made parts. Steel and raw materials sourced and produced in the USA.

I choose to pay more for USA.

Most dont anymore. You get China crap instead.

AC Delco filters use to have a very good reputation, now almost all the tests done show them near the bottom of the pile..WW
Old 01-10-2011, 08:23 AM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't use any of those anymore. I've been using an aftermarket type that allows for disassembly and changing or cleaning stainless screens.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:26 PM
pitchadude
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

K&N oil filters for me...love the removal nut on the bottom !

Get notified of new replies

To AC Delco fuel filter vs Fram

Old 01-16-2011, 03:09 AM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Much of the recent AC/Delco stuff is now made in Mexico.

Fuel filters every 10k is a bit extreme. I used to do every year, and I never lost a fuel pump. Now I do every 2 years, and I still never lost a fuel pump.

I have used every brand of FF, and never noticed a difference in my 5 vehicles I service.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:16 AM
RED-85-Z51
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Good friend of mine had a 355 built for his Elcamino SS, good running engine, he broke it in easy, put a few thousand miles on it, put on an ACdelco...3-4K later he changed the oil again and put on a fram.

Week later his wife drives up and the car is barely running, lifters are collapsed, shuts it off...and it seized.

Towed it to the builder and they pulled the engine, total loss, mains were spun badly, they assumed the pump had failed, until they cut open the filterI saw it in person and it looked like the filter media had come apart and it was all f'ed up inside the canister....espensive lesson.

50K miles on engine #2 and only uses K&N filters...runnin good.

This is enough reason for me to run from FRAM products, because its not the first time Ive heard of their products failing.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:22 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Quick Reply: AC Delco fuel filter vs Fram