C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

SuperRam vs. MiniRam?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 10:08 PM
GusBustamanteJr
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default SuperRam vs. MiniRam?

Thinking about doing one of these...
Whats the better choice?

I saw the Superram can be bought in parts..base, plenum and runners whereas the MR can only be bought in one shot.

Which one yields the most HP?
Also, how much can be gained from only the SR Plenum Runner combo w\o the base?

Thanks
Old 04-09-2002, 10:49 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: SuperRam vs. MiniRam? (GusBustamanteJr)

MR yields the better hp numbers, SR the torque and SLIGHTLY less hp numbers (but it all depends on the cam anyway)

You should buy the Accel base before getting the plenum and runner combo because the stock base is the more restrictive piece. I dont even know if the SR goes on the stock manifold at all.

SR might be better for a driver, MR for racing because with the ZZ-9 cam that youre supposed to use with it has some rough spots driving around town.
Old 04-09-2002, 11:39 PM
Ezgoin721
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know much about the Miniram, but I can tell you the Superram is a real pain to install! However, I can't imagine an induction system that breaths much better! I think the Miniram is easier to put on and take off, and as was mentioned above, I've heard it will make a little more hp.

The Superram will fit on the stock base, but I would not recommend it. That would be like running 3" dual exhaust into a 1" tail pipe. If your gonna do it do it all the way! Of course with stock cam and heads, your gains will be minimalized.
Old 04-09-2002, 11:51 PM
Bob86ZZ4
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: SuperRam vs. MiniRam? (Ezgoin721)

The mini ram is a cake walk to install compared to the Super ram. And don't listen to people that tell you a mini ram has no torque. I would also look into the conversion of an LT1 intake to work on your engine. I've heard they are very comperable to the mini ram and less expensive. Somebody around here has a link to the company that does that.
Old 04-09-2002, 11:58 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Is your car a stick or auto? The miniram is almost impossible for an automatic car to make full use of. The thing is designed to run and be held in the high RPM range. An auto obviously isn't going to give you control of this.
Old 04-10-2002, 12:04 AM
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '14

Default Re: (scorp508)

Scorp made a very good point. I've been a Mini Ram person for quite a while, but if your going to put it on a 350 the Super Ram would also be the better choice, if your going to stroke the engine say 383 or 377 the Mini ram would be the better choice because of the extra torque thats inherent to the bigger cubes.
Old 04-10-2002, 12:31 AM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: (8388)

I have had both combos on my Z28. SR with LPE 219/219 cam and MR with ZZ409 cam. Both were run on the same motor with no other changes.

I will never throw money away on another Super Ram. If I could do it over again, i would have gone with the Mini Ram the first time.

A Mini Ram will make torque. I don't know about the ZZ9 cam, but the ZZ409 is bigger and I have no driveability problems at all. No surging, no stalling. I am running a custom program obviously.
Old 04-10-2002, 12:45 AM
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '14

Default Re: (ZBRA)

I have had both combos on my Z28. SR with LPE 219/219 cam and MR with ZZ409 cam. Both were run on the same motor with no other changes.

I will never throw money away on another Super Ram. If I could do it over again, i would have gone with the Mini Ram the first time.

A Mini Ram will make torque. I don't know about the ZZ9 cam, but the ZZ409 is bigger and I have no driveability problems at all. No surging, no stalling. I am running a custom program obviously.
Well, like I said I've been a Mini Ram person for quite a while, built a couple of engines with the MR, and have experimented a bit a with a few other systems, the MR will make plenty of torque although it won't peak, it will be broader, just like the HP its also broader, for all out racing you just can't beat it. But if your into stop light racing the more torque down low the better. So its very dependent on the combination and the use its intented for. I will say the MR is by far the easiest to work on, a change of injectors is a breeze.
I'm so happy with the MR, that I will build a combination around it.

:D

[Modified by 8388, 10:47 PM 4/9/2002]
Old 04-10-2002, 12:51 AM
Bill Reid
Le Mans Master

Default Re: (8388)

Anybody know flow numbers comparing the LT1 intake versus the MiniRam? I have committed to the LT1 conversion. Intake goes out this week to http://lt1intake.com/services.htm. Since I have the earlier style LT1 intake I'll have to modify the fuel rails too... but it looks to be straight forward... I'll just have to remote mount a pressure regulator.
Old 04-10-2002, 01:07 AM
Oh My
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (billreid1@***.net)

Keep me updated Bill, please, as i'm heavily interested in doing this conversion as well.
Old 04-10-2002, 01:15 AM
VAHROOM
Burning Brakes

Default SR vs MR vs Stock TPI

But compared to stock aren't either a better choice? Even for a basically stock engine?
Old 04-10-2002, 01:18 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Default Re: SR vs MR vs Stock TPI (90_roadster)

But compared to stock aren't either a better choice? Even for a basically stock engine?
anything is better than stock
Old 04-10-2002, 01:20 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

anything is better than stock
Crossfire might be the only other thing you wouldn't want. ;)
Old 04-10-2002, 02:13 AM
zelement
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: SuperRam vs. MiniRam? (vader86)

MR yields the better hp numbers, SR the torque and SLIGHTLY less hp numbers (but it all depends on the cam anyway)

You should buy the Accel base before getting the plenum and runner combo because the stock base is the more restrictive piece. I dont even know if the SR goes on the stock manifold at all.

SR might be better for a driver, MR for racing because with the ZZ-9 cam that youre supposed to use with it has some rough spots driving around town.
I don't know who told you the ZZ-9 is the cam that is SUPPOSED to go with the miniram but that is simply not true at all. The ZZ-9 cam works best with the TPI setup, it is way too small of a cam to be used on a Miniram.

The original question was which one will make more power? The answer is simple: MINIRAM. For the fact that it can pull way beyond 7000rpm with the right cam. The SR is still a TPI and will only rev to 6000rpm or so. The more rpm, the more power.
Old 04-10-2002, 02:24 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

This will be a debate for as long as there is one of each of these intakes are left on the planet. :)

It's really up to the person I guess. If you want fat torque, go for the SR. If you wanna spin the hell outta the engine to 7k, go for the MR.

Personally I think the SR is more engine friendly since you do not have to spin so high. I would want some higher quality components in my bottom end if I were going with a MR.
Old 04-10-2002, 09:24 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Default Re: SuperRam vs. MiniRam? (zelement)

I don't know who told you the ZZ-9 is the cam that is SUPPOSED to go with the miniram but that is simply not true at all. The ZZ-9 cam works best with the TPI setup, it is way too small of a cam to be used on a Miniram.
Well then why did they tell me it was better to use the ZZ9 with the MR when i called and asked them? Why is it that all the dyno results on their pages use the ZZ9 or ZZ9X with the MR?
Old 04-10-2002, 09:44 AM
dgoodhue
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: (billreid1@***.net)

Anybody know flow numbers comparing the LT1 intake versus the MiniRam? I have committed to the LT1 conversion.
I din't know about the flow numbers, but i have heard the Miniram has air distriution problems, that comes into play in higher HP engines. Personally I would rather have a LT1 conversion. The Miniram (atleast everything I have read about it) is an GM design that they scraped and sold TPIS. The LT1 is further refinement/evolution of that design that also incorporated optispark.

Get notified of new replies

To SuperRam vs. MiniRam?

Old 04-10-2002, 10:21 AM
ralph
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Which will make more HP....as mentioned above, the minram will....because it can rev higher.

which is right for you; depends on what you are building. what are your goals, the intended use for the car? neither of these intakes are cheap, so if you're not prepared to make additional mods to compliment them, i would spend the money elsewhere. If you are, the SR/219 w/ good heads makes a nice street/strip package with lots of low end torque and you don't (can't) have to rev the engine above 6000rpm, which might be a consideration depending on the shape of your bottom end and valve train. The MR has a lot more potential cause as mentioned above, it can rev much higher without choking. The SR package doesn't need a lot of stall or gearing, while the MR will like almost anything that will help it rev quicker (looser converter, gears etc). So it depends on what you perfer and what you are building the car for. That's my 2 cents.

we ought to put a number on this subject and just reuse the responses when the question is asked, as it is so often....then just refer to number xxx...LOL
Old 04-10-2002, 10:23 AM
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '14

Default Re: (dgoodhue)

Anybody know flow numbers comparing the LT1 intake versus the MiniRam? I have committed to the LT1 conversion.

I din't know about the flow numbers, but i have heard the Miniram has air distriution problems, that comes into play in higher HP engines. Personally I would rather have a LT1 conversion. The Miniram (atleast everything I have read about it) is an GM design that they scraped and sold TPIS. The LT1 is further refinement/evolution of that design that also incorporated optispark.
I don't know about what you've heard, but I run a MR and I have on many, many occations, run my car at the mid to high 6,000 rpm's for miles at a time without any problems. Same goes for other cars that I've built using the MR. The MR is nothing more than the Victor Jr. of fuel injection. And although not identical, the basic design has been around for a very long time.
Old 04-10-2002, 11:59 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

Default Re: SuperRam vs. MiniRam? (tntcorvette)

Dont taket thsi the wrong way but 2 of you guys have stock tpi vettes so your expierence with these intakes in real life is 0.
Yep, I'm one of them. I'm basing my words on everybody's experiences I have read, and the ones I've seen in real life on other cars.

Quick Reply: SuperRam vs. MiniRam?