C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

700R4 front pump seal

Old 04-09-2002, 11:05 PM
jvesalga
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 700R4 front pump seal

Well this weekend I will be installing my new crate motor. Picking the motor up tomorrow. The front trans seal is leaking a bit so I thought I would change it as well. Is this one a simple matter of pulling the converter and popping in a new seal? Or is it complicated in which the front pump has to be removed, etc.

thanks

joe
Old 04-09-2002, 11:33 PM
Rolla Dunkin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: 700R4 front pump seal (jvesalga)

Half of the time it's the front pump oring that is leaking not the seal.When we do a front seal at the shop we also replace the oring,pump bushing, and pump gasket at the same time, but this is a lot more work.The pump must be removed and taken apart,to do that you have to remove the pan,and lock up sol.,filter so look careful to see what is truely leaking. :cheers:
Old 04-10-2002, 12:03 AM
BBA
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: 700R4 front pump seal (jvesalga)

The biggest problem with leakage is the converter neck bearing in the front pump will work it's way out of position and push past the seal...causing front pump leaking.

The bearing can be easily put back into place by pushing it back in with a bearing installer tool, or even a big socket. Once it is in place, take chisel or flat blade screwdriver and stake the bearing in place ( you will not damage the bearing if you stake just a few different spots ). This will prevent the bearing from walking out again.

Get notified of new replies

To 700R4 front pump seal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 700R4 front pump seal