C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Just got Bosch Design III Injectors from FIC

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 09:40 PM
87RedVet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got Bosch Design III Injectors from FIC

Can't wait until it warms up so I can these installed in my 87... I got the Bosch design III flow matched, 22lb set. I have a couple of leaky injectors so I am confident these will fix the problem.

Any tips or tricks when changing injectors would be appreciated. Been working on cars for over 20 years but have yet to change any injectors.

Thanks for any help
Old 01-21-2011, 10:12 PM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 216 Posts

Hi 87redvet, I am in the middle of this job right now after getting some bosch 3's from Jon, mine is taking a little while as i am doing a port and outside polish on the plenum and runners and fitting an adjustable fuel pressure regulator,
the best advise would be to read the fuel injection sticky at the top of tech-performance by FIC, there is a video by calderone showing the job being done, I used this info to do mine.
Second big tip, dont let the O ring on the back of the fuel runner fall out if you have a cold start injector, its a bit scary when fuel sprays into the side of the distributor at 39psi !
Old 01-21-2011, 10:12 PM
Jimbo 89
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 87RedVet
Can't wait until it warms up so I can these installed in my 87... I got the Bosch design III flow matched, 22lb set. I have a couple of leaky injectors so I am confident these will fix the problem.

Any tips or tricks when changing injectors would be appreciated. Been working on cars for over 20 years but have yet to change any injectors.

Thanks for any help

Been there, done that. Easy job but time consuming. Plenty of tech tips on this. I did the one where you don't have to remove the runners. They can be a real pain, so why cause yourself more time and trouble. Others may differ, but I've gone almost 2 and a half years with no issues. Jon at FIC will help if u have questions.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:02 PM
87RedVet
Intermediate

Thanks blackozvet and Jimbo 89. Can't wait to get my vette running smooth again. I don't post alot, but I read here a great deal.

Thanks again.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Rich Silvestris
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Did this job last year on my 87. I found it best to remove the passenger side runner and mess with the driver's side as little as possible. The cold start connection to the fuel rail is a real PITA to get aligned, and some of the wrench sizes needed came from way in the back of the drawer. Be careful working around the EGR temp switch; if you break that wire it's another PITA, and you cannot buy a new one. Don't believe Calderone's 2 hour claim unless you have removed the AIR setup already (but this is a good time to do it). ....and keep Jon's number; he is always ready to help as much as he can. Good Luck.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:20 PM
62panshovel
Intermediate

I pulled the plenum and left the runners attached also. I just unbolted the TB and let it float too. Unbolt and split the fuel rails (little torx heads keep them from sliding apart) and your ready to remove the clips from the old injectors and put the new ones on. Why wait? Easier job than I thought it would be and it went pretty quick too. Fixed my issues.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:48 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The nice thing about not using clips on the injectors when you install say Bosch III. Is if you need to pull them later, then I think it is supposed to be easier. As I believe you can just lift the rail up some and pop the injectors out vs. having to remove the rail to undo the clips to get the injectors out of the rail.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:13 PM
loaded vet
Advanced

I have a set of the Bocsh Design III injectors sitting on the shelf after I installed them I found they ran very nice with more power. I was very happy with Jon and his help with questions I had. When I took it in for smog testing, it failed. The report indicated a rich condition. So, I hooked my laptop up to the ALDL to find the BLM was pegged at 160. It could not lean the engine down any more. I had to remove them and replace with my original injectors after having them cleaned and tested. After this the Corvette passed easily. When the BLM is showing a value of 160 the ECM can't make any more adjustments, so, you wind up with a very fancy carb. In my experience 22 lb injectors are too much for a stock L98.

Gary
Old 01-23-2011, 05:04 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by loaded vet
I have a set of the Bocsh Design III injectors sitting on the shelf after I installed them I found they ran very nice with more power. I was very happy with Jon and his help with questions I had. When I took it in for smog testing, it failed. The report indicated a rich condition. So, I hooked my laptop up to the ALDL to find the BLM was pegged at 160. It could not lean the engine down any more. I had to remove them and replace with my original injectors after having them cleaned and tested. After this the Corvette passed easily. When the BLM is showing a value of 160 the ECM can't make any more adjustments, so, you wind up with a very fancy carb. In my experience 22 lb injectors are too much for a stock L98.

Gary
I'm pretty sure a BLM of 160 is lean. Meaning the computer is trying to add fuel because of a lean condition. Rich would be a BLM below 128. I believe you want your BLM at 128 within a range of plus or minus 8. Outside of that range I believe the computer can't make any more adjustments.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:39 PM
Kool88vette
Drifting

I installed 24 lb Trickflow injectors in my 88 and it has passed 2 California smog tests. I have to get it smogged every 2 years. It's my DD. It runs smooth as glass and gets good mileage. I couldn't be happier with the way it runs. Everyone on this forum told me I was making a mistake by not installing Bosch 3s.

Last edited by H P Bushrod; 01-24-2011 at 11:21 AM. Reason: nsv link removed
Old 01-23-2011, 06:57 PM
eaglevision993
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

22lb injectors should be the stock replacement.
I installed a new Bosch 3 set from FIC, and I added an adjustable FPR.
With the engine running and a look on the integrator I adjusted the fuel pressure for a 128 value on idle.

Then I rechecked the other cells for BLM after a couple days driving. You need to let the computer learn the new injectors behavior....the values were 128 +/- 4, 5,6 so this is ok I think.

Don´t forget to unhook the battery while doing the injectors to clear memory. Otherwise it won´t run right.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:03 PM
Kool88vette
Drifting

Some have had good luck with the newer Accels. The old style Accels were complete crap but the newer ones appear to be much better. Here is a comparison. They are cheaper than the Trickflows.

Last edited by H P Bushrod; 01-24-2011 at 11:22 AM. Reason: nsv link removed
Old 01-24-2011, 07:25 PM
87RedVet
Intermediate

Originally Posted by eaglevision993
22lb injectors should be the stock replacement.
I installed a new Bosch 3 set from FIC, and I added an adjustable FPR.
With the engine running and a look on the integrator I adjusted the fuel pressure for a 128 value on idle.

Then I rechecked the other cells for BLM after a couple days driving. You need to let the computer learn the new injectors behavior....the values were 128 +/- 4, 5,6 so this is ok I think.

Don´t forget to unhook the battery while doing the injectors to clear memory. Otherwise it won´t run right.
Thanks for everyones feedback. I will make sure to disconnect the battery. It was only 11 degrees this morning in South Jersey, so I guess I gotta wait for some warmth and sunshine...wish I had a garage,,,
Old 01-24-2011, 08:20 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Of significant note is the actual installation of the injectors.

Make sure the intake manifold bores are clean!
Wipe 'em with a rag using alcohol.
Then lube the bore & o-rings lightly with silicone grease before inserting.

Get notified of new replies

To Just got Bosch Design III Injectors from FIC

Quick Reply: Just got Bosch Design III Injectors from FIC