C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

New to Corvette, Chevy, L98... Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 08:50 AM
C4Betts
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Corvette, Chevy, L98... Need Help!

I pickup up an '89 in really good shape except there was no motor in it for a price I couldn't pass up.

I also had a line on a '92 Trans Am L98 so between the two I jumped into the Corvette project.

History on the car is sketchy - it came with a TPIS Big Mouth TPI setup (which looks like if I sell it could get all my money back for the car) so there were mods done to the car in its prior life. It has a fuel pump sitting right in front of the rear license plate area as well.

I'm researching wiring and have some of questions:

Prior owner deleted the cold start injector including the wiring (OK to do?)

I see references to a oil temperature sender- where is the sender located?

I see references to oil pressure senders- there is a switch down at the oil filter area that I assume is for the fuel pump circuit and there is another sender at the rear top which is typically the gauge sender - is this correct?

lastly, I see references to "H D" cooling that would have a sender/switch on the driver side head. I can't find a wire for this so I'm assuming this was an option not on the car...

Any help would be great! I've done some searching but not finding answers so far...
Old 01-28-2011, 09:13 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

First off if your going to work on this car you will need a Factory Service Manual along with the extra wiring book, without it you won't get this car fixed up , Trust Me..Secondly the 89 did not have a cold start injector, it used fuel inhancement by the computer to give it extra fuel at start up..the oil temp sender is right above the oil filter.The oil pressure sender is right next to the distributor. Right now what you have to do is go on ebay and see if they have an 89 vette FSM and the wiring book, without these anything we tell you won't make sense.If they don't have them on ebay try on different Corvette sites including on here, then do a web search, but you have to have those books to do this kind of major repairs. The books are always the first thing we tell new people to get, and for good reason...WW

Below is the set of books that you need, only they can be had for alot less used...Good Luck.

http://www.corvettetraderonline.com/...cat=147&page=1

Last edited by WW7; 01-28-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:29 AM
C4Betts
Advanced

I've been using a 'Chilton's' manual along with online service shop information so far.

I'm thinking there may be some subtle differences with the '92 Trans Am engine related sensors compared to the '89 chassis expected items. Once question already answered is the cold start injector for example...
Old 01-28-2011, 10:22 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
First off if your going to work on this car you will need a Factory Service Manual along with the extra wiring book, without it you won't get this car fixed up , Trust Me..Secondly the 89 did not have a cold start injector, it used fuel inhancement by the computer to give it extra fuel at start up..the oil temp sender is right above the oil filter.The oil pressure sender is right next to the distributor. Right now what you have to do is go on ebay and see if they have an 89 vette FSM and the wiring book, without these anything we tell you won't make sense.If they don't have them on ebay try on different Corvette sites including on here, then do a web search, but you have to have those books to do this kind of major repairs. The books are always the first thing we tell new people to get, and for good reason...WW

Below is the set of books that you need, only they can be had for alot less used...Good Luck.

For what you are doing, you definitely need a FSM. A Chilton manual is too generic and too brief.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Kool88vette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess the 89 didn't have a cold start injector. But It's ok to delete the cold start injector and the wiring. I did that a few years ago on my 88.

Last edited by Kool88vette; 01-28-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:57 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
First off if your going to work on this car you will need a Factory Service Manual along with the extra wiring book, without it you won't get this car fixed up , Trust Me..Below is the set of books that you need, only they can be had for alot less used...Good Luck.

Take this advice!!! The Chilton and Hayes manuals suck in comparison to the FSM. The diagrams in the FSM are full page, versus the 1"x1" scrawny views in the Chilton. There is a full Factory diagnostic for all the codes this car will thow and will throw them, believe me. I Thank God for the FSM. It has bailed me out of many mechanical and electronic situations and with an early C4, you will run into these.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:43 AM
RLDaily
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd get a Chilton, Haynes and factory service and factory electrical (I use them all)

Also pay attention here and on other sites as well.

Use eBay to the max.

In '90 the cold start injector was eliminated.

Just jump into the car neck deep like I did my '90
Old 01-28-2011, 01:56 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Here you go, I even went onto ebay and found you a full 89 Corvette FSM book set...But you have to bid..It probably won't go for more then the starting price,not to many buyers out there..Looks like its in nice shape, almost new....WW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Corve...item19c29bcc29

Last edited by WW7; 01-28-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:20 PM
yedister
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You can get a wiring harness from painless performance http://www.painlessperformance.com/w...rchField=60102 The manual has plenty of info

Last edited by yedister; 01-28-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:43 PM
TheCorvetteKid
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you're new to Corvettes, a good place to start will be to take a look under the center arm rest cover for a large white sticker. This will list all the RPO (Regular Production Option) codes associated with your car. The codes will be a three digit alpha-numeric format, for example: KC4 AR9 QA1 Z51 FE7 ML9 MN6 etc... Each of these codes corresponds to standard and optional equipment and will help you to decipher what your car came equipped with (ie. heavy duty brakes, leather seats, sport suspension, manual transmission, etc...); these will also help determine the original color of the interior and exterior of the car.

Once you've located these codes, write them down on a piece of paper then perform an online search for "1989 RPO codes". You'll find a lot of information online telling you what each code corresponds to. If there are any RPO codes you can't find online, send me a PM here on the forum - being an '89 Corvette owner myself, I have an extremely comprehensive list of RPO codes for 1989 Corvettes so I should be able to help you decipher any you can't find.

This will help clear up some of the "sketchy" history of the car.

Last edited by TheCorvetteKid; 01-28-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:09 PM
C4Betts
Advanced

Thanks for all the help.

I wound up taking the fuel filler assembly off today to find real bad gas. Fortunately I was able to pump it all out, get my arm down in there and wipe it well, clean and vacuum it all up. I installed a new pump and strainer and have good fuel pressure. On to spark now (which is not there at the moment). Picked up a new ign mod to see if that will do the trick.

So far so good. Making forward progress in the resurrection of this Vette.

Any ideas why there is a pulley dampner on the water pump?

Gonna run OBD I diagnostics to check everything PCM wise tomorrow too.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:12 PM
C4Betts
Advanced

I also found the owner's manual and the cassette tape from Chevy going over the car. The owner manual has the original window sticker in it too.

Pretty cool

Get notified of new replies

To New to Corvette, Chevy, L98... Need Help!

Quick Reply: New to Corvette, Chevy, L98... Need Help!