Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C4 Tech/Performance
L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine Sponsored by
J&D Corvette

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-25-2011, 07:50 AM   #1
Lemme
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '10
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Lemme's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2009
Location: Perth Western Australia
Default 84 - Wild Ride

Went for a spirited drive around the neighbourhood and ahead was a dip in the road. As I passed through it the car bounced me off the seat and my head hit the roof. Is this normal for an 84? Talk about a wild ride! Seems to be sprung like a jeep!
Lemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:05 AM   #2
hamrhed42
CF Member
 
hamrhed42's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2010
Location: Kaneohe Hi
Default

are you 6'3? happens all the time to me?
hamrhed42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
383vett
CF Senior Member
 
383vett's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2003
Location: moraga ca
Default

Does your 84 have the Z51 suspension? Hardest riding Corvette ever. Some cars achieve 1g cornering with bigger swaybars. The 84 Z51 used stiff springs. Changed mine out a couple of years after I bought it.
383vett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:04 PM   #4
Lemme
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '10
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Lemme's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2009
Location: Perth Western Australia
Default

I am 6'2" so I guess my head doesn't have too far to go.

Maybe I do have the z51 suspension. I know I have the performance 3.31 rear gears. My 87 rides like a cadillac compared to my 84. Any way of checking for the z51 suspension?
Lemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:28 PM   #5
hamrhed42
CF Member
 
hamrhed42's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2010
Location: Kaneohe Hi
Default

if its a 84 the base vs z51 is moot in regaurds to springs iirc
hamrhed42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
larry93lt1
CF Senior Member
 
larry93lt1's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2010
Location: Gaithersburg MD A member since 2007 but then the computer crashed and then the car crash loss of memory X 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemme View Post
Went for a spirited drive around the neighbourhood and ahead was a dip in the road. As I passed through it the car bounced me off the seat and my head hit the roof. Is this normal for an 84? Talk about a wild ride! Seems to be sprung like a jeep!
Spirited drive, car bounced me off the seat and my head hit the roof. Is this normal for an '84 ?

Hmmmmmm let me think about that one. . . . . . .

Yeah it's normal,

Ab-normal would be to remove the targa top or top entirely and no seat belt.

Hee- Haw
larry93lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:56 PM   #7
383vett
CF Senior Member
 
383vett's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2003
Location: moraga ca
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemme View Post
I am 6'2" so I guess my head doesn't have too far to go.

Maybe I do have the z51 suspension. I know I have the performance 3.31 rear gears. My 87 rides like a cadillac compared to my 84. Any way of checking for the z51 suspension?
The 84 Z51 has wheels 1" wider in the back vs the front.

Last edited by 383vett; 01-25-2011 at 07:28 PM.
383vett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
87 vette 81 big girl
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2008
Default

On the rear storage compartment lid, there should be a White label intact with all the option codes on your 84.

If its Z51 equipped, it will read Z51.

I believe the base suspension is coded FE1 in 1984 and all years up to 1996.

My 87 Vert has the option label on console door underside.

Mine reads Z52 suspension.

Detuned (softer front and rear springs) handling option for 1987 and 1988 coupes and convertibles.

1984 Corvettes are really supposed to Handle the best of all C4's on a smooth road or racetrack I have been told.
But bumpy roads are no fun in them I hear also.

BR
87 vette 81 big girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:14 PM   #9
RICEKILA
CF Senior Member
 
RICEKILA's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2005
Location: Beautiful Down Town "SWINDLEHURST" Long Island NY
Default

Yep - You want a mush-ie ride buy a newer vette

There's a Betty Davis quote you should look up
__________________
PERSONAL MOTTO
Everyday that goes by where I DON'T hear myself say
"You want fries with that" ---is a good day!
RICEKILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:22 PM   #10
Lemme
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '10
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Lemme's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2009
Location: Perth Western Australia
Default

Can't find any options label in the vehicle unfortunately.

Did a quick measurement on the rims. Look like 9.5 - 10 inch rims all around with 255/50 R16 tyres. They look like truck tyres when compared to my 87s 17x8.5" with low profile 255s.

I noticed the 84 tends to follow the ruts in the road a lot more. Probably the big tyres.

Last edited by Lemme; 01-25-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Lemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #11
Lemme
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '10
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Lemme's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2009
Location: Perth Western Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICEKILA View Post
Yep - You want a mush-ie ride buy a newer vette

There's a Betty Davis quote you should look up
Please explain!

The classic 1950 film "All About Eve" contained this famous quote. The film's star was Bette Davis, and there is a cameo appearance by a very young Marilyn Monroe in the movie. The line was spoken by Bette Davis in the film, and the full line is: "fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy ride".

Last edited by Lemme; 01-25-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Lemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:31 PM   #12
RICEKILA
CF Senior Member
 
RICEKILA's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2005
Location: Beautiful Down Town "SWINDLEHURST" Long Island NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemme View Post
"fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy ride".
Bingo

Time Index 00:16

__________________
PERSONAL MOTTO
Everyday that goes by where I DON'T hear myself say
"You want fries with that" ---is a good day!

Last edited by RICEKILA; 01-25-2011 at 07:34 PM.
RICEKILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:36 PM   #13
87 vette 81 big girl
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemme View Post
Can't find any options label in the vehicle unfortunately.

Did a quick measurement on the rims. Look like 9.5 - 10 inch rims all around with 255/50 R16 tyres. They look like truck tyres when compared to my 87s 17x8.5" with low profile 255s.

I noticed the 84 tends to follow the ruts in the road a lot more. Probably the big tyres.

Probably not a whole lot you can do about the rough ride in your 84 Steve unless you change out the front and rear fiberglass springs with softer ride springs from a later Vette.

The 1984 - 1987 Corvette springs interchange.

Are the shocks worn out on your 84?

Leaking oil ?

If worn out, be a good time to replace them.

They changed the Caster settings after the 1984 year. From 4 degrees positive to 7 degrees.

Was changed around 1986 or 1987.

My 87 calls for 7 degrees caster. Helped with straight line tracking and handling I recall reading from old C4 articles in the past.

Don't know if adding more caster to you 84 would help with straight line tracking over irregular road surfaces or not.

Brian
87 vette 81 big girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:47 PM   #14
Lemme
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '10
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Lemme's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2009
Location: Perth Western Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 vette 81 big girl View Post
Probably not a whole lot you can do about the rough ride in your 84 Steve unless you change out the front and rear fiberglass springs with softer ride springs from a later Vette.

The 1984 - 1987 Corvette springs interchange.

Are the shocks worn out on your 84?

Leaking oil ?

If worn out, be a good time to replace them.

They changed the Caster settings after the 1984 year. From 4 degrees positive to 7 degrees.

Was changed around 1986 or 1987.

My 87 calls for 7 degrees caster. Helped with straight line tracking and handling I recall reading from old C4 articles in the past.

Don't know if adding more caster to you 84 would help with straight line tracking over irregular road surfaces or not.

Brian
The 84 is going to become my dragcar / trackcar so the stiff suspension / taller diff gears / big rubber are probably a good thing.

The shocks aren't leaking but do look ancient. Probably worth changing. The rear suspension bushings have allegedly been done by the previous owner. I have just bought all the parts to do all the front ball joints / bushings. Front spring creeks like an old 4 poster on honeymoon night!
Lemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:15 PM   #15
87 vette 81 big girl
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2008
Default

Lol.

Its a Good Move turning your 84 Corvette into race car.

Few appreciate an 84. Make fun of it. Call it obscene things, ect.

But transplant an engine with 600 + horsepower and matching torque numbers.......

Things change for the better. Its suddenly a Vette to beat and
admire again .LOL

Like to have an 84 Vette myself. In Red or Black.

BR
87 vette 81 big girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:21 PM   #16
Lemme
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '10
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Lemme's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2009
Location: Perth Western Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 vette 81 big girl View Post
Lol.

Its a Good Move turning your 84 Corvette into race car.

Few appreciate an 84. Make fun of it. Call it obscene things, ect.

But transplant an engine with 600 + horsepower and matching torque numbers.......

Things change for the better. Its suddenly a Vette to beat and
admire again .LOL

Like to have an 84 Vette myself. In Red or Black.

BR
Lemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:40 PM   #17
383vett
CF Senior Member
 
383vett's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2003
Location: moraga ca
Default

Let's hear it for 84 race cars.

Click the image to open in full size.
383vett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #18
mrmmoore
CF Senior Member
 
mrmmoore's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2007
Location: Grass Lake Michigan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383vett View Post
Let's hear it for 84 race cars.

Click the image to open in full size.
I bet your not running the stock crossfire!
mrmmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:44 PM   #19
Lemme
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '10
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Lemme's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2009
Location: Perth Western Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmmoore View Post
I bet your not running the stock crossfire!
Must have the bigger throttle bodies!
Lemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:12 PM   #20
383vett
CF Senior Member
 
383vett's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2003
Location: moraga ca
Default

That would be a 406 with a SuperRam.

Click the image to open in full size.
383vett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:12 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page 84 - Wild Ride
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
84, 87, acg050, corvette, fit, head, part, racecars, vette, wildrides


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:29 PM.


Emails & Password Backup