C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

For Those Who Have Replaced Their F45 Suspension...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 08:02 AM
techvette
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default For Those Who Have Replaced Their F45 Suspension...

How many of you have bought Caspers Electronics plug-in simulators?

http://www.casperselectronics.com/st...oducts_id=1210

As we know, the C4 F45 system is a one-off setup. The three-prong connectors plugged in fine. These are for the actuators.

The two prong connectors are for the shock itself. The plugs that were included in the kit are too small. The plug running off the shock is pictured on the right:

The "Service Ride Control" light is coming on intermittently due to the two-prong plugs not being connected to anything.

I know, I know, I could just pull the bulb. But that kind of defeats the purpose of purchasing a $200 item to keep the suspension swap clean and easy to put back to OEM, don't ya think?
Old 01-27-2011, 10:15 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I'm not sure what you are doing, but it sounds like you need to simply swap connectors. Cut, solder, heat shrink.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:34 PM
techvette
Burning Brakes

The plug on the left takes the place of he plug on the right. They do not plug into eachother. The male end of this connection is on the car and not pictured here. I hope this clears things up onwhat I am trying to do...
Old 01-27-2011, 03:55 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Looks like they're for the C5. Although conceptually the same, the C4 and C5 components are not interchangeable.

Regardless, simulators are not needed on the C4. Replacing the F45 shocks with standard shocks has zero affect on engine performance (this is not the case on the C5). If the "Service Ride Control" light is bothersome, either plug some resistors into the chassis pigtails, or pull the bulb.

And before anyone asks....I know for a fact that on a C4 there is no speed limiter or engine performance issues when using the approach I described above. My GS is an F45 car. I replaced the F45 shocks with Koni adjustables many years ago and regularly see the far side of 150mph on the race track.

Last edited by 96GS#007; 01-27-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:03 PM
techvette
Burning Brakes

I realized there is no consequence to not having the plugs other than the light on the dash, but I wanted to do this job as cleanly as possible. I want the car setup so the F45 can be swapped back over if it was ever desired. This means no pulled bulbs, and no cut or corroded harnesses.

It is a moot point since I already bought the simulators. Caspers has not responded to my email, so I will need to get on their case tomorrow!

Last edited by techvette; 02-02-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:45 PM
techvette
Burning Brakes

Talked to Caspers tech support today. They insisted that there is a plug that is the proper size farther up the line from the initial two-prong plug. I looked into this and since the wire that the plug is connected to goes into a wiring loom, I don't see this being very likely. I couldn't get on their case too much though, since the guy on the other end was talking to me from his cell phone, and the Chicago area (where they are based) is snowed in right now so they aren't at the office and can't pull up any information for me.

The car drives fine and the MIL light only comes on when the car goes over a steep angle (EG a driveway, etc.) and once you turn the car off and restart it the light disappears. If I didn't have the three-prong connectors installed the light would be on all the time. But like I said before, I paid too much money for a product that I can only use half of. I WILL get this issue resolved...

So has no one else used these on their C4?

Last edited by techvette; 02-02-2011 at 01:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To For Those Who Have Replaced Their F45 Suspension...

Quick Reply: For Those Who Have Replaced Their F45 Suspension...