C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Camaro Flywheel and Sprung Clutch Disk Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 01:45 PM
93VettePilot
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Camaro Flywheel and Sprung Clutch Disk Review

Guys I thought I would post up my review of the camaro clutch disk and flywheel.

The whole reason for switching to a single mass flywheel came about when I noticed that my dual mass flywheel had leaked a grease like fluid all over the inside of my bellhousing. It could be seen through the inspection cover. At first I thought it was rear main seal leak but after transmission removal it became clear that it was coming from the flywheel.

I had 96 camaro flywheel from a previous car of mine so I didn't have to find one at a junkyard. I took it to a driveline shop and had it resurfaced .090. This is alot of meat so it was not cheap to do this $80. I then took the camaro flywheel and corvette pressure plate (with bolts) to an engine shop to zero balance it for my Golen 383. This costed $75.

I then bought a valeo 93-97 camaro stock sprung hub clutch disk. This can be purchased on ebay for $100.

You will also need some different flywheel bolts. These are the same flywheel bolts that go on a 93-97 camaro. I bought ARP but you can get these from the local auto parts store.

I reused my corvette pressure plate because it had not been on the car for very long and it still had the original valeo grooves on the clutch surface.

I had read alot of stories on corvette forum about a noise called "box of rocks" coming from the ZF6. Well I'm here to tell you that my black tag Zf6 is extremely quiet in all gears. There is a very faint "box of rocks" sound only when I have the clutch pedal out and transmission in neutral(almost never happens). If the heater or ac is running you cannot hear it at all. If the radio is on you can not hear it at all. I am completely satisfied with the clutch.

It engages very smoothly and holds the power of my 400hp 383 without a problem. I think that the fact that it is a sprung hub disk is the key here. A solid clutch disk likely would cause the noise problem to be a real problem.

For guys looking for an inexpensive driveable quiet clutch with a single mass flywheel this is the ticket.

Oh by the way, the single mass flywheel and corvette pressure plate were so well zero balanced that I can now rev up 6500 rpms without the car vibrating at all. Its like driving a lexus its so smooth.

Last edited by 93VettePilot; 02-13-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:10 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Is turning the flywheel that much required? I woul be interested in trying this.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:45 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 93VettePilot
I had read alot of stories on corvette forum about a noise called "box of rocks" coming from the ZF6. Well I'm here to tell you that my black tag Zf6 is extremely quiet in all gears. There is a very faint "box of rocks" sound only when I have the clutch pedal out and transmission in neutral(almost never happens). If the heater or ac is running you cannot hear it at all. If the radio is on you can not hear it at all. I am completely satisfied with the clutch.

It engages very smoothly and holds the power of my 400hp 383 without a problem. I think that the fact that it is a sprung hub disk is the key here. A solid clutch disk likely would cause the noise problem to be a real problem.

For guys looking for an inexpensive driveable quiet clutch with a single mass flywheel this is the ticket.
Good feedback. With so much material removed, I'm kindof surprised that add'l surface/thickness wasn't needed to compensate. (But I can't remember if resurfacing is required to convert to a SMF anyway).

It's nice to hear you don't have any major issue with noise. I know ZFDoc's website says there can be variance from one ZF to another -- which results in more/less idle noise. I also think the newer blue tag (like you have) is quieter than the older black tag models.

At any rate, it's great you're happy! Many happy miles to you!

Old 02-11-2011, 11:37 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I've always wondered about this solution...and why not? More so, I've wondered why this hasn't been tried sooner, or more?

The DMF moves the "sprung hub" into the FW. I don't know why that was necessary in the first place. It seams like an expensive, heavy, complex solution. Why NOT use a sprung HUB clutch to absorb the power pulses like most every other car uses? I think that it's a great solution and an economical one to boot...especially after the first install.

Props to the OP for pursuing this and posting the results. Thank you.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:14 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

good post......I would have to imagine however the FW from the 96 Camaro was steel.....making the "rocks" sound even more muffled from the ZF.....the problem is mainly with aluminum single mass FW's like many guys are running.....like myself......I am running a spring hub disc as well, but even with that and the blue tag, I get the rocks noise and it is prevelent under 900 rpms at idle w/o the clutch engaged....

I do have a new, steel, single mass FW in my basement for a reserve unit though that will be quieter (like the 96 Camaro unit you referenced).....
Old 02-12-2011, 09:21 AM
Baldfart
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=93VettePilot;1576765502]Guys I though I would post up my review of the camaro clutch disk and flywheel.

I had 96 camaro flywheel from a previous car of mine so I didn't have to find one at a junkyard. I took it to a driveline shop and had it resurfaced .090. This is alot of meat so it was not cheap to do this $80. I then took the camaro flywheel and corvette pressure plate (with bolts) to an engine shop to zero balance it for my Golen 383. This costed $75.

Was the resurfacing required to make it the same thickness as the dual mass?
Old 02-12-2011, 09:39 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,051 Posts

I have a SPEC steel flywheel and a sprung hub. Rattles like a box of rocks. FWIW, this is in my 383 that is ~500hp at the crank

The key is idle speed. If I set my idle speed to ~950pm to get rid of the cam lope, it's not too bad. At 800rpm it rattles. My cam is .622/.624 lift with 230/236 duration.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:18 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by 856SPEED
I would have to imagine however the FW from the 96 Camaro was steel
The Camaro FW IS steel, but still, quite light. IIRC, when I put on in my '83 Trans Am w/a T56, the stock LT1 F-body FW weighed about 12 lbs.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:22 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I bought ARP but you can get these from the local auto parts store.
Are the Vette PP bolts different from the LT1?

LT1 Pressure plate bolts discontinued from GM last yr. Lots of places have a listing but wont have them in stock.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Red Rocket
Drifting

Have used this same set up for twelve years. Better than stock. No problems with the Spec 3+ clutch the past two years of drag racing.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:01 PM
93VettePilot
Pro

Originally Posted by Kubs
Is turning the flywheel that much required? I woul be interested in trying this.
Yes turning the flywheel is required in order to get the geometry right for the clutch fork.

Originally Posted by Baldfart
Was the resurfacing required to make it the same thickness as the dual mass?
Yes resurfacing is required to make the camaro flywheel the same offset as the dual mass.

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
I know ZFDoc's website says there can be variance from one ZF to another -- which results in more/less idle noise. I also think the newer blue tag (like you have) is quieter than the older black tag models.
Mine is actually a black tag that was transplanted in place of a 700r4

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
I have a SPEC steel flywheel and a sprung hub. Rattles like a box of rocks. FWIW, this is in my 383 that is ~500hp at the crank

The key is idle speed. If I set my idle speed to ~950pm to get rid of the cam lope, it's not too bad. At 800rpm it rattles. My cam is .622/.624 lift with 230/236 duration.
You have a lot more cam than me. Also my idle is extremely smooth due to using an accel gen 7 to tune with. I have the feeling that your idle is pretty lopey.

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Are the Vette PP bolts different from the LT1?

LT1 Pressure plate bolts discontinued from GM last yr. Lots of places have a listing but wont have them in stock.
You can reuse your vette pressure plate bolts. They are only torqued to 22ft pounds so its not necessary to buy new bolts.

Thanks for all the replies. Hope this helps someone out.

Last edited by 93VettePilot; 02-13-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I am giving serious thought to doing this now, why did you need different flywheel bolts? How are they different than the Vette bolts?

Get notified of new replies

To Camaro Flywheel and Sprung Clutch Disk Review

Quick Reply: Camaro Flywheel and Sprung Clutch Disk Review