C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Exhaust clamp Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 10:48 PM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Be sure to open the garage door.

As that sealer "Acoustic Seal" cures from exhaust heat, the smell of it may overcome the wife or girlfriend.

Women don't like any unusual car related smells. LOL

Ask me how I know this.

Brian
Old 02-15-2011, 10:54 PM
Charleston2012
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 87 vette 81 big girl
Be sure to open the garage door.

As that sealer "Acoustic Seal" cures from exhaust heat, the smell of it may overcome the wife or girlfriend.

Women don't like any unusual car related smells. LOL

Ask me how I know this.

Brian
Its ventilating in an open air garage. And I am about a mile away.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:59 PM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL.

Best that way. Complaints are taken by phone calls only.

BR
Old 02-12-2015, 02:41 PM
chimivee
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bump

This is an old thread, and I'm a new user. But after a google search, this thread seems to have the most amount of useful info in one spot about sealing up exhaust joints. I don't even own a Corvette, but hope it's okay if I ask here since y'all seem pretty knowledgable...

I'm trying to seal up some lap (slip) joints in the two joints upstream of my cat (custom exhaust on vw van). Unfortunately the tubing is out-of-round, so it's a poor fit, but it's what I have, so I gotta make it work. I've tried some generic exhaust putty (worthless), Ultra Copper RTV (didn't last long), and AcoustiSeal 35959...

Didn't really get a good seal with AcoustiSeal, but worse, I found pieces of it lodged in my cat. Can anyone advise on why that would happen and how to prevent? User error is certainly a possibility. But, it was suggested to me that the 900ºF rating of AcoustiSeal may not be high enough for my application, and that Walker/Dynomax 35958 cement (1200ºF) would be a better option.

Any experience with the 35958? How about the Permatex Muffler & Tailpipe Sealer (80335)? It is supposedly rated for 2000ºF. I'm concerned that some of the "muffler cements" could be too brittle and not hold up well within a vibrating joint.

Also, I am ditching the TorcTite clamps that I've been using and have bought some of the Dynomax clamps, which appear to be a better design.

Any general advice on product and/or application would be huge help. Thanks.

James
Old 02-13-2015, 03:30 PM
chimivee
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, a little quiet in here, so I'll update with what I learned:

I spoke with a Walker tech rep by phone and was told that none of their sealants (AcoustiSeal 35959, Muffler Cement 35958) are intended for use upstream of the cat. Also, the small tab of "adhesive" that comes on the Walker clamps is just that - adhesive to hold the clamp in place while securing it. It does not aid in sealing.

So I called Permatex and the tech rep advised that both their Muffler & Tailpipe Sealer 80335 and Putty 80333 would be suitable to use in this application and are safe for catalytic converters/o2 sensors. For the slip joints, he suggested the Sealer, allowing it to set for 30 min before installing the clamp and then starting it up.

We'll see.

James

Quick Reply: Exhaust clamp Help