C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Timing Case water pump drive shaft seal leaking oil Bad!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 04:55 AM
A. Richards
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Case water pump drive shaft seal leaking oil Bad!!!

92 LT1 timing case water pump drive shaft seal keeps leaking oil. I replaced it with a new one but it leaks even worse than the old one. I drilled a hole in the old seal and threaded a screw into it and pulled it out so I wouldn't have to take the whole timing cover off. It came out very easy no damage to the timing cover. The new seal was very hard to install, I got it on and then tapped it into place with a large socket and a dead blow hammer. The rubber center piece wanted to fold forward when I tried pushing it onto the water pump drive shaft, So I took a little time and opened the rubber center with my finger until it slid over the water pump shaft. I used some grease to keep it from catching on the edges. I am pretty sure it went on correctly but it still leaked. Does anyone know if the black rubber piece in the seal is suppose to curl back or forward when installed? If you try to just push the seal onto the water pump drive shaft the seal wants to curl forward, but that didn't look right so I opened it up enough to fit on curling back towards the timing cover. Has anyone had any experience with this? Is there an install tool that I need?
Old 02-15-2011, 09:18 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I vote pull that one out and get a new one , by that time these folks will have woke up and will chime in.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:06 AM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

http://www.impalasuperstore.com/nais...TOPIC_ID=30984
Old 02-16-2011, 05:06 AM
A. Richards
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the link, that answered all of my questions. The pictures really helped. I probably didn't get the seal on correctly. I will let you know how everything goes.

Get notified of new replies

To Timing Case water pump drive shaft seal leaking oil Bad!!!

Quick Reply: Timing Case water pump drive shaft seal leaking oil Bad!!!