C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Optima Gel Cell Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 09:04 AM
LT4POWR
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Optima Gel Cell Batteries

Anyone running one? If so, what part/model number did you get? Any fitment issues, etc. Thanks
Old 02-15-2011, 09:22 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Shifter , whos selling parts over in that section had one for sale , said it worked fine. sorry I couldnt be more help.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:42 AM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Oh, another Optima thread.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...p-battery.html
Old 02-15-2011, 12:05 PM
LT4POWR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4
Wow, that's interesting

My reason for wanting one is because I have a friend that can get them really cheap Reason for needing one is because my car has been in storage for over a year, and I'm pretty sure that my brand new (at the time) Diehard won't be able to return from the dead
Old 02-15-2011, 12:32 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I bet you can bring it back, a good quick charge and then trickle
Old 02-15-2011, 01:02 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Originally Posted by LT4POWR
Wow, that's interesting

My reason for wanting one is because I have a friend that can get them really cheap
Reason for needing one is because my car has been in storage for over a year, and I'm pretty sure that my brand new (at the time) Diehard won't be able to return from the dead
With your car stored under the exact same conditions, the Optima battery wouldn't be any different.

Also note in the other thread where modifications need to be done to one, in order to make it fit your '96.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:46 PM
LT4POWR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4
With your car stored under the exact same conditions, the Optima battery wouldn't be any different.
It's not going to be locked up in storage for that long ever again.

Gottcha, I thought that they probably weren't a direct fit Sucks that the quality of the batteries apparently isn't there anymore.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:12 PM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Gottcha, I thought that they probably weren't a direct fit Sucks that the quality of the batteries apparently isn't there anymore.
Yes and No.

There is not made much in the USA anymore. Any car or truck replacement parts.

The original OPTIMA batteries were made in the USA.

They are now made in Mexico.

Better than China i figured at the time of purchase.

I needed a battery for my 87 Vert last fall.

Another AC delco failed. had enough of them.

Installed a Red Top Optima. Group 75 sidepost and top post.

Car starts right now every time. The old Delco 10MT spins the engine over effortlessy upon startup.

You cant let an Optima discharge slowly over time from non-use, extended periods of time. They dont like that at all.

The ECM draws slightly always with the battery connected and car - ignition off. Around 15- 50 Milli amps.

Will draw any battery down over a month or 2. Dead battery.

Disconnect the negative battery cable if the car will sit more than 2 weeks unused.

Or purchase a trickle battery charger of some sort.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:10 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Quality is not the issue, ABUSE is! Lead acid batteries self discharge even disconnected and as they discharge lead sulfate collects on the plates. When you charge the battery, lead sulfate converts to lead and sulfuric acid (along with a bunch of other reactions). Batteries sitting for longer than 4+ wks, the lead sulphate becomes hard and it will not convert upon charging because lead sulfate is a good insulator. In fact batteries sitting for a long time will not even draw current from a battery charger.
ALWAYS use a battery tender if your car is going to sit for long periods. Batteries kept charged will have a normal life, batteries not charged will be a door stop.
Go and sin no more!
Old 02-16-2011, 12:06 AM
stevie1dr
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through 2 Optima batteries until I had enough and got my money back. Mine would discharge enough not to start my car within 5 to 7 days of sitting. There were no shorts or other issues with the car, and now that I have gone back to a regular battery, no more dead battery after a week of sitting. My local Vette garage has discontinued selling them for replacement in the Vette's they work on for the same reason. I couldn't believe that a battery (especially at the price of the Optima's!) would turn out to be such crap!
Old 02-16-2011, 05:17 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

There is no real advantage to to an Optima in your Vette. They are mostly for remote or other odd positioning and high vibration applications. Unless your buddy can get one for less than a regular battery, save your money for something else.

Optimas also take special care for recharging. http://www.optimabatteries.com/produ...agmbattery.php
Old 02-16-2011, 05:58 AM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by HlhnEast
There is no real advantage to to an Optima in your Vette. They are mostly for remote or other odd positioning and high vibration applications. Unless your buddy can get one for less than a regular battery, save your money for something else.

Optimas also take special care for recharging. http://www.optimabatteries.com/produ...agmbattery.php
Optimas dont leak Eletrolyite Sulpheric Acid like most batteries can.

That is there main advantage.

You can put a .357 Magnum bullet through it.

Wont leak acid.

Thought about a BRAILLE Battery but they dont have much reserve capacity compared to an OPTIMA Red or Yellow top when checking specs against each.

The Carbon Fiber cased LITHIUM BRAILLE Battery is pretty cool.

Was used in the C5R and still used C6 Racing and Indy Car Racing series.

But at Just over $2,000.00 LOL

Braille makes the ultimate batteries. Little much for the average driver on the street.

I have known people to use the same Red Top Or Yellow Top Optima battery for 10 - 15 years. Still working.

But they took care of them too. Never let them discharge slowly and go flat dead.

Have to keep an Optima Charged to at least 12.4 - 12.6vdc at all times.

12.6vdc being ideal.

Or they wont last you too long in years of ownership.

Or just Buy an ordinary lead acid battery.
Have it leak acid all over one day in your Vettes engine compartment catching you buy suprise.

Optimas are not for any car owners that do not maintain their car and have no mechanical or electrical troubleshooting and repair skills of their own.

Got my Optima Red Top Battery at my local NAPA store for under $90.00 my cost(Veteran Mechanic's Cost) out the door with tax.

Free 2 year replacement warranty.
No questions asked.
No Prorated BS like most batteries.

So I said why not and bought one.

Works great. And I know better than let it go dead that Red Top Optima.

BR
Old 02-16-2011, 07:39 AM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Originally Posted by 87 vette 81 big girl
Or just Buy an ordinary lead acid battery.
Have it leak acid all over one day in your Vettes engine compartment catching you buy suprise.
I've been driving for 40 years, and have had quite a few cars/trucks/motorcycles during that time.
I've NEVER experienced a leaking battery.

Not saying it doesn't happen. But that condition is blown way out of proportion.
Look how many millions of cars/trucks get normal batteries.
The percentage of those that leak during the batteries normal life span is so small, you would have a hard time measuring it.

Get notified of new replies

To Optima Gel Cell Batteries

Quick Reply: Optima Gel Cell Batteries