C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How I Fixed My Tilt Steering - A Pictorial

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Cavi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a mechanic who will get the job done right, plus he is willing to listen and read any scrap of info I bring him, and I will be supplying all of the needed housing parts and such before he even starts the job. I was just curious as to how long this whole process of removal of the column repair and reinstall took.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:46 PM
Stu 91 drop top
Advanced

taking out the column is not too bad. carpet panel, wiring connectors, under hood shaft removal, 2 bolts on the firewall, accelerator pedal, alluminum support and 4 bolts holding the shaft. I'd set aside 2-3 hrs for the first time. I took the drivers seat out for more room.

The shaft is not too bad either if you take your time. 6 hrs? less if you have done a few.

Last edited by Stu 91 drop top; 12-21-2011 at 03:47 PM. Reason: left out the support
Old 12-21-2011, 03:57 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I was able to get my column on my 91 properly repaired this time with only a new base assy. the housing on mine wasn't too bad, I was able to hand select the fattest pins and swaged some 3mm copper sheet on the looser side.

This was my second column attempt. My first one was attempted in-car and without a new base, was not able to significantly reduce the wobble. You have to take the column out to repair/repalce the base assy.

http://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/c...ng-wobble.html
Old 12-21-2011, 04:13 PM
93VettePilot
Pro

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
He was willing to provide customer service -after the sale (in terms of quick response to email questions/phone calls) and that's worth a lot.
He seems like a nice man and very knowlegable about the problem. He told me this is the only way to fix it. He had tried all the other ways and don't waste your time. Glad to hear he provided some good assistance for you too.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:01 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

I have a column to rebuild there's just one thing: one of the silver nuts in column housing is missing. It's one of two that fastens the entire column to the cross member. I checked the manual and it says if either of these two nuts are missing that the column is damaged. Column looks good though, any thoughts? I figured one of the nuts got knocked out when it was removed and shipped to me.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:14 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
I have a column to rebuild there's just one thing: one of the silver nuts in column housing is missing. It's one of two that fastens the entire column to the cross member. I checked the manual and it says if either of these two nuts are missing that the column is damaged. Column looks good though, any thoughts? I figured one of the nuts got knocked out when it was removed and shipped to me.
I think that's part of the collapsible part of the shaft. If the fore-aft length specification is still ok, I'd probably try to install another one in its place. Like you said, the FSM shows the go/no go dimensions.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:06 AM
HAWAIIZR-1
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Gear Jammer,

This has to be one of the best and most valuable technical posts around. I don't know if my problem is this bad to go through this rebuild or not.

My wheel just goes straight up and down, not down and to the left. It moves about 1/2 up and down so it does not sound a serious as what I hear about, but I will want to fix it.

Does anyone have experience with other repairs or knowledge about staight up and down slop?

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2011, 03:42 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

hands down, one of teh best writeups i have ever read! job well done!
Old 12-22-2011, 04:36 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by mgroshong
Holy crap you got ***** man. Serious that is pretty involved looking. Good job.
Originally Posted by eguyett1985
Great write-up!
Originally Posted by Ray Quayle
Nicely done, John. Excellent write up and nice clear pictures.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:39 AM
Althaz
5th Gear

Hi, this thread is going to be quite useful to me as I'm beginning to have some slop as well (2mm of slack moovement, and a avrage push causes the wheel to tip down a bit, has happend when driving, very perturbing).

Just one thing I cant figure out : Why does the steering actually tilt ? (ok, stupid question, after owning the car for 3 years I've only just spotted the lever and tilt adjustment, damn, I'm tempted to weld it in one position !)

Last edited by Althaz; 07-30-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:44 AM
dchildress
Pro

Dumb question. I have a 94 with a 6 speed. After my column completely fell apart and left me on the side of the road, the guy that towed it for me installed an automatic column that is nice and tight. Problem is he left the ignition switch from the automatic in it. Is there any chance you might know if the manual ignition switch will fit in the automatic housing? The cable to release the key has slipped and the key won't come out. Since the key won't come out I had to pull my power lock fuse since the computer won't let the door lock with key in ignition. Since I have no power lock, I have no keyless entry. I have the old column and the switch is hot wired into the system under the dash. I'd like to shoot the hack that did it.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:03 PM
TSHANNON
Heel & Toe

Default Missing Parts for dimmer.

I'm currently rebuilding my steering column. The problem I'm having is where the dimmer push rod is connected to the multifunction switch (turn signal,wiper,etc) arm. The past owner said he fixed some things on the column (what a joke) when he put a push button start. I have looked at the shop manual and i have a gm parts list but can't make heads or trails of it. I know I'm missing the cap that goes around the mutifuntion switch. Does anyone have pictures of that area so I can look to see if i'm missing any parts and how the rod conects to the arm. Thanks Tim
Old 05-03-2013, 05:02 PM
Gear Jammer
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Based on your description, sounds like you might be missing the plastic link for the actutor rod. Do you have this plastic piece?:

Looking at the picture above, the right side of the link is actually a curved groove, the groove fits over the dimmer actuator/rod. The left end of the link is where the multi-function switch contacts the link.

Here is how it fits into the column

Hard to explain, but this plastic link slides into the column as shown above, the right side first. There is a channel in the plastic column housing that this piece rides in, 7:00 - 8:00 oclock position on the column as if you were looking at it from the drivers position. The housing (if I remember correctly) has a little tab, the hollowed out portion of the link slides over this tab.

Last edited by Gear Jammer; 03-15-2015 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:31 PM
TSHANNON
Heel & Toe

No I'm also missing the cover. Thanks I thought Iwas missing something other than the cover. Ordered cover from Corvette center this week. Now I will look for like. Thanks Tim
Old 04-01-2014, 04:46 PM
LouisvilleLT4
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry to resurrect this old post again, but it seems that ImageShack.com has shat the bed during the time span since these extremely helpful photos were originally posted. Does anyone have them saved? Gear Jammer?

Edit: Also thanks for that photo two posts ago of the brights actuator, it helped me get the orientation of it correct after it fell out

Last edited by LouisvilleLT4; 04-01-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:47 PM
Gear Jammer
Racer

3 year update: Updated broken imageshack links - thanks Garrett!! why some links still active and others arent, I'll never know. I re-linked to a different site (imgur.com) for the broken links, lets see how they do in the long run. At least imageshack links are loosely based on the original filename, so that it made it easy for me to figure out what pictures needed to be re-linked. (the new site imagur has random names.)

I am meticulous about not using the steering wheel to prop myself getting in or out of the car, so the tilt steering is still going strong!!

I have since found out that you can get over-sized pivot pins - a cheaper fix, until you want to tackle replacing the housings.

I also want to tighten up my high-beam switch, theres too large of a gap between the actuator rod and switch at the bottom of the column. I can turn the high beams on and off no problem, but I have to pull the turn signal stalk all the way to its limit.

John
Old 04-06-2014, 05:47 PM
neelas
Instructor

Great write up I'm going to do mine also so thank you

Get notified of new replies

To How I Fixed My Tilt Steering - A Pictorial

Old 04-06-2014, 05:57 PM
Gear Jammer
Racer

Oh, I forgot to mention, about a year nad half ago, the replacement AC Delco ignition cylinder quit reading the ignition key VATS resistance. Havent really tried to troubleshoot this problem, I simply put back in the VATS bypass resistor I had. At least it only stranded me at Starbucks!
Old 04-06-2014, 06:02 PM
LouisvilleLT4
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Gear Jammer
I have since found out that you can get over-sized pivot pins - a cheaper fix, until you want to tackle replacing the housings.
John
When I do mine I was thinking about holding off on buying the part, and just shimming the worn pins by wrapping them in sheet metal, and jamming them back in. As someone who's actually handled this machine, do you think would it work?

Originally Posted by Gear Jammer
I also want to tighten up my high-beam switch, theres too large of a gap between the actuator rod and switch at the bottom of the column. I can turn the high beams on and off no problem, but I have to pull the turn signal stalk all the way to its limit.
I have to pull my stalk hard to get the switch to click too. The rod fell out of the switch and the actuator hit the floor when I took the little plastic cover off that holds it. I guess I have to tighten it up. Is it supposed to be "pullable" both directions - that is, pushable too for a quick flash of temporary bright engagement - or am I getting the brights functionality mixed up with a different car? Because mine only does the pull direction, and only with difficulty.

--

Lastly, my car is intermittently not starting. I wonder if it's a wire ripping out behind the ignition switch. I do know that the key pellet reader's wire has already ripped out, forcing me to bypass it. Is it a likely scenario for one of the main wires to rip out off the back on its own as well?

Last edited by LouisvilleLT4; 04-06-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:11 PM
Gear Jammer
Racer

Originally Posted by LouisvilleLT4
When I do mine I was thinking about holding off on buying the part, and just shimming the worn pins by wrapping them in sheet metal, and jamming them back in. As someone who's actually handled this machine, do you think would it work?
Hmm, not sure. I think you might have a tough time getting the pins back in without tearing the sheet metal? It would have to be pretty thin, and you would have to get wrapped around the pins pretty tight.

I have to pull my stalk hard to get the switch to click too. The rod fell out of the switch and the actuator hit the floor when I took the little plastic cover off that holds it. I guess I have to tighten it up. Is it supposed to be "pullable" both directions - that is, pushable too for a quick flash of temporary bright engagement - or am I getting the brights functionality mixed up with a different car? Because mine only does the pull direction, and only with difficulty.
My 91 doesnt have the flash to pass, guess you're thinking of some other car. Regarrdless, there shouldnt be much resistance on the stalk to engage the high beams.
--

Lastly, my car is intermittently not starting. I wonder if it's a wire ripping out behind the ignition switch. I do know that the key pellet reader's wire has already ripped out, forcing me to bypass it. Is it a likely scenario for one of the main wires to rip out off the back on its own as well?
Need more clarification no crank? cranks, but no fire? I think the only wires running through the column that could cause intermittent no-starts is the VATS and you already bypassed that. The starter circuit is energized mechanically when you twist the ignition key forward. Me thinks your problem is elsewhere....

Quick Reply: How I Fixed My Tilt Steering - A Pictorial