C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How I Fixed My Tilt Steering - A Pictorial

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 09:50 AM
McNuts1
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixing the Pawl

Originally Posted by br-549
Hello,

I rebuilt a steering column for my friend's '92 automatic. The pivot pins had worked loose and to add insult - a "mechanic" had blacksmithed the thing together. (multiple sins were committed on this thing - not enough electrons available to explain on this thread! If you really want to see the pictures, I will post them) I ended up taking a '94 sedan column tilt to get the donor parts needed to fix it. I was able to retain the lower housing and only had to replace the upper housing. The only thing different was a .500 hole through one area. Fortunately, the casting had a nice pilot and I drilled it through. The casting part number was the same otherwise. All appeared to go together well. All the electrical stuff works fine etc.

However, the column will not hold its tilt position if any force is applied to the column. I did not change the pawls, as I kept those from the sedan. Are the pawls and engaging tilt pins different diameters? If anything, it seems like the pins in the lower housing are a larger diameter than the slots in the pawls. The reason I say this is because the tilt lever does not go all the way forward.

Before I extract the column or tear it down again, I would like to make sure I do not have a simple problem I am looking to make complex. Now that I have my friend's car disabled, the weight of the earth is on my shoulders. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Any advice?

Regards,

B-
I had the same issue with my tilt mechanism. I purchased a new replacement casting from Paul's Corvettes and found that the pawl pins in the casting did not line up with my old pawls. You must do one of two things. Purchase pawls that match your casting. (which is not easy) or take a Dremel tool with a carbide burr and grind the back side of the pawls. Do not grind the face of the pawls that come in contact with the pins. Just grind clearance on the back of the pawls so they clear the pins. I think I had to grind about .020-.025 from the back side. Try not to grind any material from the root of the pawl. I did some grinding and made a fit and then some additional grinding and checked thee fit several times before I was done. If you grind to much you could cause the tilt mechanism to be a little loose.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:22 PM
br-549
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your help. I thought I had something jammed up behind the pawls that prevented them from engaging. I reused the original pawls and all is working to plan. The original pawls had 2 fewer lock positions than those from the sedan. Now, we just need to get the car running after sitting for 3 years! I am going to become a Corvette expert in no time.

Regards,

B-
Old 07-08-2015, 03:18 PM
Head2Head
1st Gear

Default Just replaced the knuckle and may have skipped a step.

Can anyone enlighten me on what this rod does? The plastic bean shaped piece also looks wedged in there too.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:10 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Head2Head
Can anyone enlighten me on what this rod does?
IIRC, that rod actuates the hi/low beam switch.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:56 PM
ProjectC4
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think there's 2 rods - the rearmost rod in the picture for the high beam switch and the foremost squarish piece going to a rod the ignition switch rod maybe? The ignition switch is down low on the column like the high beam switch is.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:36 AM
corvette1987coupe
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Working on a '92 Tilt Column, taking it apart.

Gear Jammer, great write-up!

I am currently hung up on the disassembly of the tilt column on my girlfriend's '92 coupe. One pin had already fallen completely out, the reason for starting this project.
After pulling the second pin, now the tilt housing part closest to the steering wheel is being pushed apart by the green spring on the bottom side, but is still being held the main shaft housing.
I can't see what else is still holding it together. Is there a bolt or two I have missed?
At this point I can not pull the shaft out from the main housing.
Any ideas what I need to do next to get it apart?

Thank you for the help.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:38 PM
Gear Jammer
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Based on your description, sounds like you need to remove the large nut from the steering shaft. Either that or the tilt locking pawls are holding the two halves together. I don't recall anything holding the halves together other than the pins.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:28 PM
corvette1987coupe
Racer

Originally Posted by Gear Jammer
Based on your description, sounds like you need to remove the large nut from the steering shaft. Either that or the tilt locking pawls are holding the two halves together. I don't recall anything holding the halves together other than the pins.
I am sure I have removed the large nut on the steering shaft. It must be the tilt locking pawls. Would they visible so that I may try to release them?
Old 07-18-2015, 10:07 PM
Gear Jammer
Racer

If I remember correctly, you will have to reinstall the tilt release lever. Then while while pulling on the lever (as if you were adjusting the tilt) work on the upper housing to disengage it from the lower housing.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:18 PM
corvette1987coupe
Racer

Gear Jammer,
I got apart and installed a new inner knuckle. The part that comes with the new steel pins.
Now I need an idea for the best way to compress the unit together, since it has the green spring on the bottom side, when reinstalling the steel pins.
Thank you for the help.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:37 PM
Gear Jammer
Racer

If I remember correctly, you assemble the two knuckle halves and insert the pins *prior* to installing the big spring. There should be a cup that you remove in order to remove/install the spring in the upper knuckle.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:30 AM
dm575
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I remember correctly, you assemble the two knuckle halves and insert the pins *prior* to installing the big spring. There should be a cup that you remove in order to remove/install the spring in the upper knuckle.
Thats how I recall doing it
Old 08-10-2015, 06:19 AM
corvette1987coupe
Racer

OK, great. I will give that a try.

It looks like I may need to pry the cup up and out, then pull the spring out with it?
Then to install later, push the spring in and stake it down with the cup at the top of the hole.
Does that sound correct?

Thank you very much for all the help.

Last edited by corvette1987coupe; 08-11-2015 at 05:15 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:28 PM
Gear Jammer
Racer

Originally Posted by corvette1987coupe
OK, great. I will give that a try.

It looks like I may need to pry the cup up and out, then pull the spring out with it?
The to install later push the spring in and stake it down with the cup at the top of the hole.
Does that sound correct?

Thank you very much for all the help.
On my 91 the cup is screwed into the knuckle about a quarter turn, sorta like a light bulb. The cup should be slotted so you can use a screwdriver to rotate the cup when it is under pressure from the spring.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:57 PM
Robban_C
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That cup has a square hole so the best screw driver is a Philips screw driver. Pick a size that gives a good grip in the cup.
Press the cup down and turn clockwise one quarter of a turn and you´re done.

I have just done this on my -90 Vette though I didn´t find this thread until after the work was done.
I used another method. I "glued" the inner part of left pivot pin with Loctite 638 to the lower part of the steering column. Some grease on the outer part of the pin made sure that I didn´t glue it all together.
No slop in the right pivot pin and the job was done in the car, without removing the steering column.

I´m pretty sure this also fixed a tendency to "change lanes" on its own but I have only driven the car once after this fix. Anyone that can confirm this?
At least it felt stable at 220 km/h today. :-)
Old 09-23-2015, 10:45 PM
ocallarm
Intermediate

I'm in Michigan and paid a local shop to do this job on my 1994. They purchased NOS part from a Chevy dealer in South Carolina. It cost me over $1150 including labor and the Corvette tax. Who uses a steering wheel to pry their wide behind out of a car? Right?
Old 09-24-2015, 06:44 PM
reg_255
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ocallarm
I'm in Michigan and paid a local shop to do this job on my 1994. They purchased NOS part from a Chevy dealer in South Carolina. It cost me over $1150 including labor and the Corvette tax. Who uses a steering wheel to pry their wide behind out of a car? Right?
I have about $500 in parts to rebuild my 92 column.
Lower Steering Column Tilt Knuckle -> 150.00
Upper Steering Column Tilt Housing - > 270.00
2 Shaft Retaining Spring clips – 37.00
Ignition Switch - > 20.00
Steering column center bearing – 8.00

Regards,
Roy

Get notified of new replies

To How I Fixed My Tilt Steering - A Pictorial

Old 10-02-2015, 11:56 AM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Finally installed the column but am concerned about proper turn signal cancellation due to cancelling cam orientation. I don't see an easy way to correct that as both ends of the shaft are D's and install one way, unless it is the splined rack connection.

It too ages, due to mine and a possible cracked rib. (I used to be more bullet-proof!)
Old 11-06-2015, 08:30 PM
jbeier77
1st Gear

So I gather from looking through the initial post that the column has to come out of the car at least for part of the job, right? I have the same issues on my 1992 and would like to fix it.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:44 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,009 Likes on 2,528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

On the way home from our fall road trip the switch inside died, I found a small piece of it on the floor and the whole multifunction lever just flops around loose. And since I have to dig into that, I will also address the slop in the column, others have described it perfectly, about 1 1/2" of play vertical and down to the left. The report of a shop charging $1150 convinced me I will try this myself.

QUESTION 1: I have not read past the first page but OP mentions getting parts from Corvette Steering and a search for them was unsuccessful. Are they still around by a different name, and if not, who would be a good source for the part (preferably one which does not need modification like Junior Samples had to do? (OK, poster's name is BR-549, but we all know whose phone number THAT is!)

QUESTION 2: FSM specifies a GM tool number for the wheel puller. What's the consensus on that - does my FLAPS have something which will work just as well?

Thank you! Not sure if I will start during this winter or wait till spring. I'll keep y'all posted.

Quick Reply: How I Fixed My Tilt Steering - A Pictorial