C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Fuel Pressure Regulator Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 09:52 PM
97VetteDan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pressure Regulator Replacement

What is the procedure for removing the Fuel Pressure Regulator on a 1990 Corvette?

Last edited by 97VetteDan; 02-22-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:31 PM
skyzzics
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-22-2011, 10:43 PM
Square
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have not done a specific FPR replacement, but I have pulled the fuel rail to swap injectors and I have installed an adjustable FPR before.

With that said, I would think you will need to pull the plenum, but not the runners to get to the FPR to replace it. You will need to loosen at least one runner to get the plenum to come free.

You will want an intake gasket set(including throttle body gasket), some teflon tape (to wrap the brake booster vacuum line threads), a long T-40 Torx ratchet bit (Snap-on makes one, but I couldn't find one at Sears), along with the regular tools.

if you have not disassembled an L98 intake before, you can check out my intake swap photo doc here:

http://members.***.net/effergyvette/...e_install.html
Old 02-23-2011, 08:42 AM
megtom2
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Square
I have not done a specific FPR replacement, but I have pulled the fuel rail to swap injectors and I have installed an adjustable FPR before.

With that said, I would think you will need to pull the plenum, but not the runners to get to the FPR to replace it. You will need to loosen at least one runner to get the plenum to come free.

You will want an intake gasket set(including throttle body gasket), some teflon tape (to wrap the brake booster vacuum line threads), a long T-40 Torx ratchet bit (Snap-on makes one, but I couldn't find one at Sears), along with the regular tools.

if you have not disassembled an L98 intake before, you can check out my intake swap photo doc here:

Good grief. After reading all of your experience I don't feel so bad about some of my experiences going into the intake on my 89 Formula and 86 Corvette. Great write up.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:22 PM
mikebassman
Advanced

I am relacing my injectors which has turned into a lot of might as well do this project . I have spent the last 3 evenings polishing jut one runner but man it looks good .so its a while before I put the new injectors in . Should I relace the diaphram on the fuel pressure regulator ? Its not broke (so why fix it ?) but car has about 90,000 mikes and I did ruin the injectors with lucas oil so maybe the diaphram is next ? looks like most auto parts stores have them for around $40 so what do you guys think ?
Old 02-23-2011, 03:08 PM
megtom2
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikebassman
I am relacing my injectors which has turned into a lot of might as well do this project . I have spent the last 3 evenings polishing jut one runner but man it looks good .so its a while before I put the new injectors in . Should I relace the diaphram on the fuel pressure regulator ? Its not broke (so why fix it ?) but car has about 90,000 mikes and I did ruin the injectors with lucas oil so maybe the diaphram is next ? looks like most auto parts stores have them for around $40 so what do you guys think ?
I went into the regulator when I did the injectors on my 89 Formula. Wish I hadn't because those old safety torx screws turned to dust. I looked all over and found replacement allen head screws at a hobby shop but had to cut them a little shorter. It still has a small leak. No drip but you can see fuel on the black cap. New diaphragm but still leaks. I lucked into a closeout entire regulator on Amazon. Rock auto has the entire unit for $125. You have to go into the fuel rails (which I didn't on either vehicle when changing injectors) but new orings all through the rail may not be a bad idea.
Here is the link to the rock auto one.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...-217380-311796

Last edited by megtom2; 02-23-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:36 AM
Brooks Roberts
2nd Gear

Your link to this experience is broken or it has timed out could you resend it to my email address rkevinsdad@yahoo.com so i can start on my 86
Old 10-02-2016, 12:55 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Originally Posted by mikebassman
It isn't broke but it is rubber so why not replace it while you are there? Sooner or later it will break. I have a HSR so no biggie. You have a standard L98 and it can be a couple of hours if you haven't done it before.

If you can, I'd return them and get reman ones. Much cheaper.

How did you ruin the injectors with lucas oil? Surely you didn't try put it in the fuel rail??
Old 10-02-2016, 08:42 PM
colter
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 58 Posts

You'll have to get a C4 parts manual to look up the screw size. You can find it in a PDF format. But get new allen head screws before hand. I had problems of the screw heads on OEM screws stripping out.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:28 AM
Brooks Roberts
2nd Gear

This link is broke

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Pressure Regulator Replacement

Quick Reply: Fuel Pressure Regulator Replacement