C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 oil coming out of the dip stick

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 11:36 AM
FRANCEG
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 oil coming out of the dip stick

I recently purchased a c4 1991 and i have oil coming out of the dipstick i checked the pcv value and its not sucking but is functioning properly I think i may have blow by is there any remedies i could do to fix it without tearing the engine apart.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:24 PM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by FRANCEG
I recently purchased a c4 1991 and i have oil coming out of the dipstick i checked the pcv value and its not sucking but is functioning properly I think i may have blow by is there any remedies i could do to fix it without tearing the engine apart.
You can do a leak down test, but if it is blowing past the rings what choice do you have.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:53 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 875 Posts

Welcome to The Corvette Forum FRANCEG!
This is the RIGHT place to be if you have questions about your C4 Corvette!!

You might try a slightly heavier Oil to keep the burning down. It should not hurt an old L98 engine. The other option is to get a dipstick with an oil ring to keep the oil from exiting the dipstick port.

Has the car got a lot of miles on it or has it been sitting for a period? If it is from sitting around I would try a thin oil like Marvel Mystery Oil in the engine oil to try and free up the moving parts. Sometimes an engine needs to have some miles put on it to help free up and keep free the rocker arms and other assorted moving parts.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:01 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by FRANCEG
is there any remedies i could do to fix it without tearing the engine apart.
Take your pick....

In reality, you need to run a compression test or a leak down test to confirm blow by and the severity of the problem before taking any action.

Old 08-06-2020, 10:50 PM
Krusty84
Drifting

Received 367 Likes on 280 Posts

You need to verify the oil level and verify that you have the right dipstick first.

Have you changed the oil yourself and only added 5 qts?

If over filled you can create a foam layer that rises up fairly high and even with normal blowby and crankcase pressure you can blow oil out of the dipstick tube and other sealing areas.

I have seen quite a few car owners over fill and push oil out of the dipstick or drop oil out off the front or rear main seal. I got the level correct and the issues stopped.

If your verify the level is correct and have verified that your pcv valve is actually good or replaced it. Then likely massive blowby if your dipstick fits snug.

Also, is it coming out o the top of the dipstick or the lower part where it mates with block?

Last edited by Krusty84; 08-06-2020 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:33 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Indeed, change oil and filter and fill with the proper amount of fresh oil.
Wouldn't hurt to clean/replace the PCV valve.

If it still pushed oil out the dip stick tube time for compression/leak-down testing.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:09 AM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Cracked piston !!! Time for a rebuild !!!!!!! Did vehicle have or had a blower ???????

Get notified of new replies

To C4 oil coming out of the dip stick

Quick Reply: C4 oil coming out of the dip stick