C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Bose Speakers makes Loud Pop w/ Kenwood

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Supernatural
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose Speakers makes Loud Pop w/ Kenwood

I have a Kenwood 6.5" indash DVD player that I am using with the factory Bose speakers/amps. It has from day one made a LOUD Pop everytime you turn the system off. It does not matter what mode it is in (DVD-CD/MP3/Radio) when you turn it off it still pops.

Has anyone else ran into this problem after installing an aftermarket headunit with the bose speakers/amps? If so how did you correct it?
Old 03-08-2011, 12:21 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Suddenly turning on or off (off in your case), 12v on the Bose amplifier inputs will cause a loud pop in the speakers. The built in radio turns off the Bose amplifier power relays when you turn the radio off and this prevents loud pops. Your aftermarket CD player doesn't do this, so the amplifiers are on and when the CD player gets turned off, it puts a large 12v to 0 v pulse on the input of the Bose amplifers which makes a loud pop.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:30 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

mine does it also, how do you fix it?
Old 03-08-2011, 06:03 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

To be frank I think you would be far better off just ditching the Blose setup altogether - speakers, wiring and amp. If you are so inclined, you can put in a far superior aftermarket amp that is compatible with the Kenwood or just drive the Kenwood with the head unit, which is what I did. I used Infinity Kappa speakers. But I do see how it would be nice to have some more power sitting behind them. I just would think it would be best not to use the 20+ year old Blose technology.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:06 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

thats excelent advise, and that looks great, many thanks.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:57 AM
Supernatural
Instructor

I had the bose speaker and amps rebuilt by the Corvette Doctor last year when I put the new headunit in. The speakers sound great for what I need and I do not want to redo/take a part and run new wiring for speakers.

Is there a way to switch off the amps before headunit or foll it some how (install a relay or a capacitor in-line with the amp power wire).
Old 03-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Keystring
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One way you may be able to do it is wire up a relay to your antenna power wire from the back of the radio.

When you turn the radio on, it supplies power to the antenna relay to raise it.

The same would apply with a separate relay to the Bose power amps.

When you turn the radio off, power is removed from the relay an it shuts down the amps.

You may have to increase the size of the power antenna fuse for the extra relay, but it shouldn't have to be increased by much.

Or possibly even better yet. Wire up the antenna power wire from the radio directly to the Bose relays.

Last edited by Keystring; 03-08-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:06 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Turn off the radio before you turn off the head unit.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:08 PM
Supernatural
Instructor

I have already tried turning off the source before turning off the unit itself. The Kenwood has a Standby Button. The Pop volume is about half if I go to Standby before turning the unit off, but it is still there. I have the same Kenwood DVD player that Red Flame has in his post.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:52 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Supernatural
I have already tried turning off the source before turning off the unit itself. The Kenwood has a Standby Button. The Pop volume is about half if I go to Standby before turning the unit off, but it is still there. I have the same Kenwood DVD player that Red Flame has in his post.
It isn't clear to me what your setup is. You have to turn the power off to the amplifiers that drive the speakers, that involves turning off the radio, then you can turn off anything you have connected to the radio so as to make use of the radio's audio amplifiers that drive the speakers.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:51 PM
mbowers13
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Dude, that pop ain't going nowhere till you ditch the rest along with it.

I put in a Pioneer double din about a year ago (left the Bose equip) and it's done it every since. It has to do with how those amps/speakers get signal from head unit.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Either get used to it, or replace the rest.

Get notified of new replies

To Bose Speakers makes Loud Pop w/ Kenwood

Quick Reply: Bose Speakers makes Loud Pop w/ Kenwood