C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

EGR Solenoid - Vacuum line

Old 03-13-2011, 08:26 PM
aklx3
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR Solenoid - Vacuum line

I went through my 89 today and replaced a ton of parts... New injectors, plugs, wires, thermostat, fan switch, and a few minor other things.

I am familiar enough mechanically to do most repairs, but know absolutely nothing about the EGR systems on any vehicle. When changing the thermostat and with the plenum off, I noticed that what I found out was the EGR Solenoid has an opening apparently for a hose on the back side running under the plenum. No hose came off of it and I can't seem to find a hose "laying" around that would go there. I purchased the car from a guy that apparently had ZERO idea what he was doing and I spent the day correcting all of the apparent mistakes he made hoping to get this thing running better, but no luck.

Does anyone have any better vaccum diagrams that include this particular solenoid on the L98, or better yet has this same motor that wouldn't mind looking for this hose and maybe helping out??? I am waiting on a service manual that I ordered, but the guy screwed the shipping up and I have not received it yet, so I'm working off a chiltons manual (and they suck horribly).
Old 03-13-2011, 08:50 PM
69-90 Vette
Cruising

I have a '90 and it's a small diameter hard plastic line that meets a connector right behind the thermostat housing under the throttle linkage. From there it tees into a vacuum line in the front near the charcoal canister.
Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2011, 08:56 PM
69-90 Vette
Cruising

Here's another picture showing the line.
Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2011, 09:18 PM
aklx3
Heel & Toe

The first is a little hard to decipher, but the second is great! Mine has the driver side lines attached to them that tee off to the canister, but the line running across your intake manifold is apparently missing. Where does it go? Also, the back of the solenoid looks like there should be a line attached to it. In the photo (mine is identical) there is a small nipple with two "hooks" on either side like a rubber line should push on and be held in place there. Any ideas on that one, or is there nothing that goes there?
Old 03-13-2011, 09:28 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

The plastic square with the 2 hookups is your egr solenoid, as you can see on the pic one side of the solenoid goes to the egr valve and the other side goes to the line to the canister. Nothing goes on the solenoid where the 2 metel clips are, its just a air breather..On the 89 you should also have a vaccuam diagram on the radiator cover. drivers side top..WW

Last edited by WW7; 03-13-2011 at 09:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
weightlossstar (06-09-2023)
Old 03-13-2011, 09:40 PM
69-90 Vette
Cruising

The line running across the manifold in the second picture is the one the goes to the back side of the EGR. In the first picture, it is the line that I am touching. It does a 180 into that rubber block with the electrical connector on top.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:12 PM
aklx3
Heel & Toe

I appreciate the help guys, I will look in the morning, it's a little dark in the garage now, and frankly after 8+ hours bent over today, I'm not quite up to messing with it right now...
Old 03-14-2011, 08:14 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

From what you're describing, the nipple on the back of the solenoid is a vent - there isn't any line attached to it. From the Factory, there was a small piece of foam (filter) over it, but that rarely lasted through the warranty. The drawing/diagram shows how the lines run.

Get notified of new replies

To EGR Solenoid - Vacuum line

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EGR Solenoid - Vacuum line