C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Driving me insane!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 09:11 AM
Crowhater
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Driving me insane!!!!!!!!!

Guys I need help finding a problem. I have a crazy miss that comes and goes for no reason and we cant find it. We have checked the fuel pressure when the miss happens and everything is fine. We have hooked up the computer and it tells us it is the module. I just changed the module yesterday for the third time and I still have the miss. This thing is driving me INSANE, I lost to a Mustang at the track because of this and I wanted to put the car in the wall I was so mad. It only happens when you launch, and what is even worse is on the way home from the track I launch on the street and NOTHING it was gone. I still changed the module out yesterday and checked everything, well last night I staged and suprise it was back! It is like my car has stage fright! So I got it on video for you guys to see first hand!

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid172.phot obucket.com%2Falbums%2Fw30%2Fcrowhater%2 F20110319_091509.mp4">

At the start of the night it only missed a little and I was able to run 8.6 1/8 but after 4 passes this is what I was dealing with

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid172.phot obucket.com%2Falbums%2Fw30%2Fcrowhater%2 F20110319_093048.mp4">
Old 03-20-2011, 09:31 AM
drmrman
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

What mods are done? I feel like I have experienced that similar problem from my car from a roll and then punch the throttle... (I believe its a rich fuel mixture)

Since I NEVER get any codes Im under the assumption that its the tune that is on the car. Sending my chip out asap to get it re-flashed and Ill see if it cures the problem. My issue IS NOT as consistant as yours (only happens from time to time) But I will see how she runs when I get it back!
Old 03-20-2011, 09:34 AM
Crowhater
Drifting

Originally Posted by drmrman
What mods are done? I feel like I have experienced that similar problem from my car from a roll and then punch the throttle... (I believe its a rich fuel mixture)

Since I NEVER get any codes Im under the assumption that its the tune that is on the car. Sending my chip out asap to get it re-flashed and Ill see if it cures the problem. My issue IS NOT as consistant as yours (only happens from time to time) But I will see how she runs when I get it back!
If you check out my profile it will tell you everything that has been done to the car.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:41 AM
drmrman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Crowhater
If you check out my profile it will tell you everything that has been done to the car.
Chip from PCM for less? Mine too... I got mine done when I only had a cat back and an intake. Im curious to see if its the tune... Like I said with all the bolton mods it sounds like when you hit it, its dumping fuel... to compensate for the boltons (most are relative to air flow) and its causing a miss. Thats my assumption. I cant say thats the full problem but thats what I am experiencing!
Old 03-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Crowhater
Drifting

Chip from PCM for less? Mine too... I got mine done when I only had a cat back and an intake. Im curious to see if its the tune... Like I said with all the bolton mods it sounds like when you hit it, its dumping fuel... to compensate for the boltons (most are relative to air flow) and its causing a miss. Thats my assumption. I cant say thats the full problem but thats what I am experiencing!
I have tried two chips the PCM and a custom chip.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:21 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Bump
Old 03-20-2011, 02:18 PM
TWISTERUP
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw you had checked fuel pressure---however if the fuel pres. gauge hose is long enough-- try taping the gauge to the windshield-- drive it and see what you have when the problem occurs.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:23 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Originally Posted by TWISTERUP
I saw you had checked fuel pressure---however if the fuel pres. gauge hose is long enough-- try taping the gauge to the windshield-- drive it and see what you have when the problem occurs.
Thats what we did and my fuel pressure did not change or jump around.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:26 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Did you have enough fuel in the tank during the launches when you had the miss? My car used to cough if I ran under a half tank at the track.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Originally Posted by 383vett
Did you have enough fuel in the tank during the launches when you had the miss? My car used to cough if I ran under a half tank at the track.

I had over half a tank of fuel, but I had a full tank last night and it did it.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:10 PM
drmrman
Melting Slicks

I have tried two chips the PCM and a custom chip.
How many miles on the opti?
Old 03-20-2011, 05:13 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

How many miles on the opti?
This is a ZZ4 crate engine with factory HEI
Old 03-20-2011, 05:47 PM
drmrman
Melting Slicks

This is a ZZ4 crate engine with factory HEI
Okay well then you got me beat...
Old 03-20-2011, 06:37 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

We just went through everything and it is still doing it. Now we are going to take the ECM off my friends F body car and try it on my car.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:17 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

We just went through everything and it is still doing it. Now we are going to take the ECM off my friends F body car and try it on my car.
Sure sounds like an ignition miss to me. Cap rotor plugs wires sort of thing. Unless it is just the recording it sure sounded like it had a skip for the entire run to be honest. It is pretty hard to make an engine skip from a load dump like launching the car with too much fuel. It might get lazy and nose over but seldom miss fire.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:44 AM
Crowhater
Drifting

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
Sure sounds like an ignition miss to me. Cap rotor plugs wires sort of thing. Unless it is just the recording it sure sounded like it had a skip for the entire run to be honest. It is pretty hard to make an engine skip from a load dump like launching the car with too much fuel. It might get lazy and nose over but seldom miss fire.
It is a new cap, new rotor, new plugs, new module, and new wires.

Last night we changed the TPS ( throttle positioning sensor ) and the problem went away. then I put the old one back on and the problem was still gone.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:48 AM
Crowhater
Drifting

Does anyone have any suggestion as to what could be causing this?? Could it be in the wiring? If so what is the most common place to find these type of issues?

Get notified of new replies

To Driving me insane!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-21-2011, 11:57 AM
tehcarguy
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too am having a problem with a random miss. Seems like I have replaced everything on the car..
Old 03-21-2011, 12:14 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Originally Posted by tehcarguy
I too am having a problem with a random miss. Seems like I have replaced everything on the car..
I only have a miss when I do a hard launch and it is not all the time.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:05 PM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
I would also think ignition issue also.....if the cap, rotor, electrical connections, ICM, plugs and spark wires are good and the HEI coil is still getting "hot" as described in the thread below change the coil out now.....http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...-question.html

Quick Reply: Driving me insane!!!!!!!!!