C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

92 LT1 stalling issue?

Old 03-21-2011, 04:44 PM
midweekwarrior
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 LT1 stalling issue?

hey so on the way to savannah this past weekend i ran over a 18 wheeler tire at about 77mph (ouchies).

Long story short, there was no damage as i could tell but today (monday another ouchies) my car cut it self off as i was accelerating form a dead stop and lost oil pressure.

Any ideas or troubleshooting tips would be much needed =)

PS, my 1972 stingray is almost done, needed a new daily driver...
Old 03-21-2011, 06:31 PM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 202 Likes on 116 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Hard to believe you hit a tire that size and didn't sustain any damage. I assume you have full oil in the crankcase? If not, I'd look for puncture damage to the oil cooler or the oil pan. If you've got oil in it, but no pressure, then I've got no suggestions.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:52 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by 92ragtop
Hard to believe you hit a tire that size and didn't sustain any damage. I assume you have full oil in the crankcase? If not, I'd look for puncture damage to the oil cooler or the oil pan. If you've got oil in it, but no pressure, then I've got no suggestions.

THEN
I would say start looking at the sensors and wiring. Look at some of the electrical and check as much as you can

Offhand if you really lost oil pressure, that might be a reason why the engine stopped because you could have lost power to the fuel pump from the pressure switch….Just a thought

If you are really worried about oil pressure get mechanical gauge for test. (what a pain)

If the oil pan is squashed, it may affect the oil pick up.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:31 AM
midweekwarrior
Advanced

i got engine codes 16 and 32 offa my system =/. It has oil, no damage to the oil pan etc... It still drives, just gotta get it going.

after looking at the codes im thinking it's some wiring lose in the front that connects the distrbutor. . maybe that opti w/e wire.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:12 AM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

there is a wire to the digital oil sensor on the underside of the engine above the oil filter.. make sure it didnt get ripped out/damaged..
Old 03-22-2011, 08:58 AM
78pacer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow...an 18 wheeler tire. Damn. I got a real bad visual on this one. How far down the road did you push it, and how did you get it dislodged?
Mike
Old 03-22-2011, 11:26 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by midweekwarrior
i got engine codes 16 and 32 offa my system =/. It has oil, no damage to the oil pan etc... It still drives, just gotta get it going.

after looking at the codes im thinking it's some wiring lose in the front that connects the distrbutor. . maybe that opti w/e wire.
OK, you have the dreaded opti codes! Check the harness and connections from the opti to the connector on the passenger side.
One end or the other could be loose, or not making good contact.
Also check the connections on the ICM and coil (front side of passenger head.

Good luck, hope it is that simple!
Old 03-22-2011, 10:19 PM
midweekwarrior
Advanced

yeah, opti spark it is.. from my deductions. I checked the wiring voltages, and got my 12 hot and 5. (my friend has a LT-1 caaammmmaaarrrrooo - we call it loud varoom)

I figured out how to stall it on que as well.
>Dead stop and hard accel, i got a short miss and then car died.

Anyone got any other ideas?
Getting a new opti. I'll post some pictures or something as i tear into it.

Thankfully, the car drove all the way to savannah and back with only one stall after the tire incident. No pushing either, or tire to take out, i managed to luck out.

Get notified of new replies

To 92 LT1 stalling issue?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 92 LT1 stalling issue?