C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1995 Corvette Stalls after driving lesson

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 11:42 PM
MickPB
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1995 Corvette Stalls after driving lesson

Took my son out to learn to drive a manual transmission tonight. We were having fun but it was a challenge for him. We spent about 45-60 minutes practicing the launch and many of them failed. Neither me nor the car overheated! Once he got it managed we drove a couple miles at 45 mph in fourth gear and when he slowed to make a corner it dies. Restarted it a it stumbled a little and then we made it about a mile when it dies again (couple backfires too). Several more episodes and it would no longer start again. Put the hood up and it was pretty hot in there. Let it set for 10 minutes and it would start but didn't run good enough to get back on the road. Finally the wife stopped by with a jug of water and I poured that over the PCM. Was able to drive home. Seems to start and run OK now. I would comment that the cap, rotor, wires, and plugs are all about 4 weeks and 800-1000 miles old and I drove it in rain a couple of times. Also - No codes (other than the C12). Will give it another try tomorrow evening but any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks
Jeff

PS I did try starting it about an hour and a half after getting home. Fires right up but has a stumble off idle almost like it did when the 7 & 8 plug wires were reversed.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:39 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

ICM and/or coil - they pick the darndest times to malfunction and don't throw codes
When you replaced the opti did you replace the cable from the opti to the connector on the passenger side?
Old 03-23-2011, 01:13 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

If it were a race car, I would say the motor is loaded up and the plugs are fouled from idling and low speed driving. If that were the case, take it out and thrash it for a few minutes to clear out the boogers. If you have a street car, maybe that won't be the solution but you can have fun trying.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:08 PM
MickPB
Instructor

Looking for vacuum leaks tonight and I found a loose plug wire - Plugged it back up tight and didn't really make much difference. I checked the vacuum through the distributor and it seems fine except I notice there are two restrictors in the vacuum line before the line to the opti -- Does this sound right?
Old 03-24-2011, 10:43 PM
MickPB
Instructor

Went for a little drive tonight. I turned around and went back home after 1/4 mile and hearing a clackity clack clack from the engine compartment. The vacuum line to the opti (or the vent line is blocked now as well) so it looks like that opti is coming out. I bought the fancy smancy reverse torx socket but re-used the old screws in the rotor (with new locktite) was this maybe a mistake? I was a BWD cap and rotor kit.
Thanks
Old 03-27-2011, 12:33 AM
MickPB
Instructor

Pulled the opti today. The rotor had come apart and the distributor was a mess. Balck and white chips of plastic everywhere. Advanced warrantied it for me. I don't think I had the screws tight. Glad this happended a mile from home. The last three weekends I've been 2 hours from home in the car and lets just say the weather in KS hasn't been very nice. Ready to roll again next weekend
Old 03-27-2011, 01:00 PM
helphos
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts

Default Driving Lessons

Glad you got it fixed without a major outlay of cash!

I see I'm not the only one who wants his kids to appreciate fine machinery. I took my 19 year old to the local High School on a sunday to give him some driving lessons. He's been driving an automatic since 16, and I thought he might have fun with the 6 speed. After the driving lessons, I gave him the go-ahead to do some low speed 'drifting.' I was planning on getting new rear tires anyway, so what the heck. When we were done his face was aching from all the smiling! A great shared experience that I couldn't have bought for a million bucks!

Hope your driving lessons were as much fun!

Get notified of new replies

To 1995 Corvette Stalls after driving lesson

Quick Reply: 1995 Corvette Stalls after driving lesson