C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1993 LT1- Battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 10:35 PM
shootglock34
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 LT1- Battery

I am a new vette owner and I love it. I have had a problem with the battery going dead with extended storage. I know I need to change the battery, then if it continues I will look for a short. The volts are good. I am wondering if this is common with all the electronics, or a problem? Also wondering if there is a "best" battery for vette's?

Thank you,
Old 03-25-2011, 11:14 PM
CROOZ1N
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm gonna say Optima Red top or Odyssey
Old 03-26-2011, 08:46 AM
78pacer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you know you need to swap it out...then do it. That'll prolly solve any issues. BTW, for extended storage periods, either get a battery tender or disconnect the ground cable. I bought another AC-Delco battery for mine this season. The last one lasted 10+ yrs.
Good luck, welcome to the Forum and the insanity of Corvette ownership!
Mike
Old 03-26-2011, 10:33 AM
shootglock34
3rd Gear

Thank you for the responses. I bought the Vette in August used, and of course with maybe not the best information from the seller. I drove it nearly daily for a month and a half and never had an issue with the battery. It went dead after sitting for just a couple weeks. I had to pretty much jump it everytime I drove after that. I will change the battery first as that seems the cheapest and fastest check. The previous owner stated the battery was only 2-3 years old. He however left it sitting always, put 6,000 miles on it in 6-7 years of owning it.

Thanks again, hopefully that will fix it and there is no gremlin draw.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:47 AM
proracr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any battery will go dead with the passage of time when it isn't recharged. When a lead acid battery sits idle without being recharged the lead plates get covered with a sulphate coating which leads to the demise of the battery eventually. Even though the battery was "only 2-3 years old" when you bought the car, much of the battery damage had already been done because the previous owner let the car sit idle much of the time, apparently without having a battery tender on it.

Your best course of action may be to replace the battery, but I would try buying a battery tender first and use it on the current battery. If you don't use the car on a regular basis, you will need the battery tender anyway. I did some research recently and discovered a good battery tender which also de-sulphate's the battery thereby reversing some of the suphate problem. Here's a link for it: http://www.batterymart.com/p-battery...r.html#tabship

Hope this helps!
Old 03-26-2011, 10:54 AM
TWISTERUP
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by proracr
Any battery will go dead with the passage of time when it isn't recharged. When a lead acid battery sits idle without being recharged the lead plates get covered with a sulphate coating which leads to the demise of the battery eventually. Even though the battery was "only 2-3 years old" when you bought the car, much of the battery damage had already been done because the previous owner let the car sit idle much of the time, apparently without having a battery tender on it.

Your best course of action may be to replace the battery, but I would try buying a battery tender first and use it on the current battery. If you don't use the car on a regular basis, you will need the battery tender anyway. I did some research recently and discovered a good battery tender which also de-sulphate's the battery thereby reversing some of the suphate problem. Here's a link for it: http://www.batterymart.com/p-battery...r.html#tabship

Hope this helps!
Discharging and recharging a battery over and over again makes for a short battery life.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:27 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

It would certainly be worth having a load test performed on the battery. That will tell the condition of the battery. Also check the alternator output. If the alternator is not providing enough current to the battery, it will not stay charged. Also check for key-off current drains.

When I had my '92, it would sit all winter and still start up after sitting for months. It had the original SC Delco battery until 2003.

I have have good luck with Interstate batteries. Optima's are good but once they discharge, the recharging process is different. It takes a long time and a special charger to properly recharge an Optima.

Also, Optima's have top posts in addition to the side terminals and the diagonal frame to firewall brace comes very close to the positive post on the Optima. IIRC, the Optima case is not exactly the right size for the C4 battery tray.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:46 PM
shootglock34
3rd Gear

Thanks everyone. C4 I spoke to the previous owner and he said he wasn't sure but thought one of the door switches needed replaced. He said he never got around to doing it, but if you open and close the passenger dorr, after the driver door everything shuts down correctly. If you get out and just shut the drivers door, it will drain the battery??? Not sure if that makes sense to anyone, but I will get a tender, I will test this battery, and most likely I will replace this and star from scratch. I do appreciate all the wisdom here, thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To 1993 LT1- Battery

Quick Reply: 1993 LT1- Battery