C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Lifter noise,but all rockers tight.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002, 09:58 AM
nobodyunknown
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifter noise,but all rockers tight.

I've a tap tap tap.It just started one day not hotrodding it or anything.
It sounds exactly like a lifter,but I pullled both valve covers started engine & there all tight.I cant move any left or right.I cant tell any difference in the sound of the tapping while moving them.
I cant tell where the tapping is coming from It sounds equally loud from the left, righ,t front, or bottom sides.
Im thinking its a cam bearing?
Anyway it may be time for out with the old in with the new.
Thanks for any tips or suggestions.
Old 04-16-2002, 10:17 AM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Lifter noise,but all rockers tight. (nobodyunknown)

I'd try oil change w/ 5W-30 (synthetic of course) and a good filter like a K&N 1st. Maybe some gunk got loose and is obstructing some flow to lifter(s). I had a tap-tap crop up not long ago, changed oil (Mobil 1 5W-30) and put on a K&N oil filter. The tap went away. Recently had front main seal replaced and when that was done the shop did oil change w/ Mobil 1 10W-30 and the standard-issue Delco DuraGuard (NOT UltraGuard) filter. Now I have some lifter noise again, although still not as pronounced as before.
Old 04-16-2002, 10:25 AM
nobodyunknown
Drifting

Thanks Lone Ranger.
I just changed the oil.The tapping has been going on for about 3 weeks now.Before & after the oil chainge.I always use Mobil one.But this time I didnt because I have a feeling the engine will be coming out soon.
I failed to say that I dont know how many miles are on the current rebuild.The prvious owner told me it had been rebuilt but he didnt know when.
Its half crank speed.
I wonder if a lifter doesnt pumpup or has a pressure holding problem if I would not feel the looseness Im talking about.
Thanks again.
Old 04-16-2002, 08:46 PM
vettemech85
Advanced

I just found a bent push rod in my TA, sounded just like a bad lifter. I pulled them all out and rolled them across a table. One made a half roll and stopped, like a pool cue at a bar. It was very hard to see the bend with my eye. Maybe?

Get notified of new replies

To Lifter noise,but all rockers tight.

Quick Reply: Lifter noise,but all rockers tight.