C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

J55 Brake Kit pad fittment - Racers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 03:32 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default J55 Brake Kit pad fittment - Racers?

Racers or autocrossers, we need a little help here.

For those of you using the J55 front brake kit, what Hawk Blue part number pad are you using?

If using some other aggressive bite pad, what is it (brand and p/n) , and perhaps I can cross-reference.

Thank you,
Ed LoPresti
Old 04-06-2011, 10:26 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

I use Performance Friction pads on mine...

Don't know what the number is on them though.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:54 AM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

Ed,

PFC 01s for the front and 97s for the rear. Works good for me.

Regards,
Steve
Old 04-06-2011, 12:41 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Carbotech XP10 up front, XP8 in the rear. I've used both. I like the feel and performance of the Carbotechs better.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:15 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Default Thank you.

Thank you, Gentlemen, for the input so far. At this point, I am looking particularly for fittment information for the J55 caliper/rotor combo, and not so much compound designations.

It appears so far that the later C4 "stock" calipers, and the J55s, can use the exact same pad. I am puzzling on why that is so, since the rotors are different diameters. Is it just that on the 13" rotor, tha pad contacts less of the swept surface?

For those of you using the Performance Friction, or the Carbotech pads, if you are in fact racing with them, can you tell me if these transfer any LESS heat from the rotor into the caliper, as opposed to a more common racing pad like the Hawks?

I appreciate your thoughts on this.
Ed
Old 04-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by RacePro Engineering
Racers or autocrossers, we need a little help here.

For those of you using the J55 front brake kit, what Hawk Blue part number pad are you using?

If using some other aggressive bite pad, what is it (brand and p/n) , and perhaps I can cross-reference.

Thank you,
Ed LoPresti
Ed, what tires are you on? We have some great stuff for the J55.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 04-06-2011, 03:35 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

Thank you, Gentlemen, for the input so far. At this point, I am looking particularly for fittment information for the J55 caliper/rotor combo, and not so much compound designations.

It appears so far that the later C4 "stock" calipers, and the J55s, can use the exact same pad. I am puzzling on why that is so, since the rotors are different diameters. Is it just that on the 13" rotor, tha pad contacts less of the swept surface?
You are correct-it's the same pad. IMHO the main benefit is the extra leverage from the larger rotor.

Regards,
Steve
Old 04-06-2011, 10:52 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Steve,

I am certain you are correct - better leverage, AND a more efficient heat-sink.

Since you verified the sizing issue, I'll sleep better tonight. Thanks for your help!

Ed
Old 04-06-2011, 11:08 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by carbotech adam
Ed, what tires are you on? We have some great stuff for the J55.
Hi Adam,

We will be using Goodyear medium-compound, bias-ply slicks for most of our testing. (high torque stuff!)

I will be very interested to hear what you have for the J55 setup, especially if the "Carbo" portion of CarboTech refers to kevlar, or other aramid fiber impregnation in the pads.

If you like, please telephone us at 607 [-] 535 [-] 4237 (NY) to discuss.

Best regards,
Ed
Old 04-07-2011, 12:22 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

i second the carbotech 10/8 combo, if you use hawk the ht10 is a superior pad to the blue. blues are old school
Old 04-07-2011, 12:54 AM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by racebum
i second the carbotech 10/8 combo, if you use hawk the ht10 is a superior pad to the blue. blues are old school
We appreciate your opinion, and would like to know a little more about exactly WHY you believe the CarboTech to be superior to the Hawk Blues.

We are seeking actual information here; so if, in fact, Hawk Blues are "old school", precisely what makes the CarboTech so innovative?

Thanks,
Ed
Old 04-07-2011, 03:12 AM
racebum
Race Director

fade resistant to around 1700deg, non corrosive dust and easier on rotors. the hawk ht10 is a great pad too, it's just both are better than the blues which cost similar. racing is all about maximum bang for the buck. it's not that blues are bad, it's just why consider them when if you stay hawk the ht10 is better and the carbotechs are less corrosive. if you really want to spend a lot and have a high hp car with really sticky tires the hawk dtc60-70 is probably the most aggressive pad you can put in a j55 caliper. ALL of these are going to vaporize your rubber piston booties by the way

there's TONS of track info on here, honda tech, my350z, and the bmw forums.

in fact there are a ton of threads right here in the road racing section like

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...s-dtc-60s.html

not sure why you needed me to spoon feed you

here's another direct blue / ht10 comparison

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread...highlight=hawk

if you wanted to get scientific look up the friction co efficient of them all and the torque/heat charts

Last edited by racebum; 04-07-2011 at 03:18 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:32 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

We truly appreciate well-considered and carefully thought opinion. Something like this offers real examples and has tangible substance.

fade resistant to around 1700deg, non corrosive dust and easier on rotors. the hawk ht10 is a great pad too, it's just both are better than the blues which cost similar. racing is all about maximum bang for the buck. it's not that blues are bad, it's just why consider them when if you stay hawk the ht10 is better and the carbotechs are less corrosive. if you really want to spend a lot and have a high hp car with really sticky tires the hawk dtc60-70 is probably the most aggressive pad you can put in a j55 caliper. ALL of these are going to vaporize your rubber piston booties by the way
And then there is this:

not sure why you needed me to spoon feed you :toetap:
I did not think I was asking to be spoon-fed anything, and I certainly was not requesting condescending comments. Your first post on this thread really did not say much - at least 1 or 2 facts would have helped.

I was curious as to why you felt the CarboTechs were so much better that the Hawk Blues. Now I know.

Ed
Old 04-07-2011, 04:08 PM
racebum
Race Director

sorry about that, you're right, i was a bit snotty with that one line
Old 04-07-2011, 04:17 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

No problem. I did enjoy reading on those links you provided.

One of the items I wanted to check with Adam was actual transfer of heat through the pad from the rotor to the caliper (and therefore to the fluid.) When we were campaigning our old 911, we found a fairly inexpensive pad, impregnated with kevlar, that tended to isolate the heat from the rotor, which also helped to reduce fade. We have been unable to find something similar since.

Ed
Old 04-08-2011, 09:19 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

No problem. I did enjoy reading on those links you provided.

One of the items I wanted to check with Adam was actual transfer of heat through the pad from the rotor to the caliper (and therefore to the fluid.) When we were campaigning our old 911, we found a fairly inexpensive pad, impregnated with kevlar, that tended to isolate the heat from the rotor, which also helped to reduce fade. We have been unable to find something similar since.

Ed
Ed, it was great to talk with you last night, we our working on a braking solution for you.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:27 AM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

Received 215 Likes on 142 Posts

I appreciate your thoughts on this.
Ed
In 1995, ALL C4s received the J55 package - it was no longer an option. The 12 inch front rotors were no longer available.

Get notified of new replies

To J55 Brake Kit pad fittment - Racers?

Old 04-08-2011, 11:05 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

so what pads do you guys think would work for the best for the street, and a few laps around a road course? J55's.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:30 PM
racebum
Race Director

there's really no pad that does the street and road course. the closest you'll really get is a hawk hp+ carbotech ax8 or axxis ultimate {if they are even made for the c4} all 3 of those have a great cold bite and can withstand a decent amount of heat given what they are.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:04 AM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by carbotech adam
Ed, it was great to talk with you last night, we our working on a braking solution for you.
Hi Adam,

I very much enjoyed our conversation, and hearing about your product offerings. We are sincerely impressed with your knowledge, and with the depth of your inquires. I have gone from skeptical (at best), to being anxious to try something "new". I am particularly intrigued by the thermal isolation from the calipers, which we find difficult to achieve with other commercially available products.

I am certain we shall be speaking more in the near future.

Ed

Quick Reply: J55 Brake Kit pad fittment - Racers?