C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

change fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 06:45 PM
ridewot
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default change fuel filter

hi have a 93 c4 anyone every change the fuel filter doesn't look like fun
Old 04-06-2011, 07:07 PM
littlesk8cracker
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

not a fun job but deffinantly do-able. just need to play around with the wrenches till you find a position they work. alot easier with the exhaust out if you had any future projects coming up that require exhaust removal?
Old 04-06-2011, 07:08 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

simple, once you know the tricks.

Make sure to release fuel pressure and disconnect battery before you do this. Also, do it with car/engine cold. Best time is to let it sit over night in garage or whatever and do next day.

1st Loosen the fuel lines behind the fuel filter that attach them to the car. This will help with some slack. Also, loosen the fuel line that goes forward of the fuel filter to the fuel rail.

2nd Loosen the rear most fitting on the fuel filter with a crowsfoot wrench then unbolt the bracket holding the filter.

3rd Carefully from the engine compartment pull the filter and line assembly up through until you got free access to it. Then using a regular line wrench, take it off.

To install reverse procedure. Hook up battery and prime system by cycling key a few times. Then check for leaks, if not, fire it up. Done.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:20 PM
ridewot
Cruising

thanks for the help will try it tomorrow
Old 04-06-2011, 09:19 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Rubie

Make sure to release fuel pressure and disconnect battery before you do this. Also, do it with car/engine cold. Best time is to let it sit over night in garage or whatever and do next day.

1st Loosen the fuel lines behind the fuel filter that attach them to the car. This will help with some slack. Also, loosen the fuel line that goes forward of the fuel filter to the fuel rail.

2nd Loosen the rear most fitting on the fuel filter with a crowsfoot wrench then unbolt the bracket holding the filter.

3rd Carefully from the engine compartment pull the filter and line assembly up through until you got free access to it. Then using a regular line wrench, take it off.

To install reverse procedure. Hook up battery and prime system by cycling key a few times. Then check for leaks, if not, fire it up. Done.
This is the way I would do it today when I have to change it again. Removing the fuel line and filter together is the way to go I believe now. There are several ways to approach this but this is my future plan.

I could not get the top nut of the filter loose when I first got the car and tried couple times. Tries all kinds of wrenches but could not get enough power or leverage to turn it. I ended up changing the filter when I changed the starter shortly thereafter. With the starter out it's a piece of cake to do. I bought the tool for the fuel line separation so I am all set to go for the next time.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:57 PM
ridewot
Cruising

Originally Posted by 93Rubie

thanks for the info it worked great i did it today and was easy to do thanks much
Old 04-20-2011, 10:22 AM
mrvideosawyer
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as the clearence issue from the top to get a wrech on the fuel line I ground out a slot in a 16 point wrench to fit over fuel line (instead of the normal 8 point fuel line wrench) which gave me more adjustment to break loose the fuel line from filter - the whole fuel filter replacement took about 2 hours - but that was the first time I had done it and had read horror stories about twisting fuel line. Oh I also removed the inner fender well to have a better access - jim
Old 04-20-2011, 11:30 AM
ridewot
Cruising

Originally Posted by mrvideosawyer
As far as the clearence issue from the top to get a wrech on the fuel line I ground out a slot in a 16 point wrench to fit over fuel line (instead of the normal 8 point fuel line wrench) which gave me more adjustment to break loose the fuel line from filter - the whole fuel filter replacement took about 2 hours - but that was the first time I had done it and had read horror stories about twisting fuel line. Oh I also removed the inner fender well to have a better access - jim
it took me 30 minutes to change it do it the way 93rubie said its a piece of cake :

Last edited by ridewot; 04-20-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:40 PM
mrvideosawyer
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default You must be a prodigy mechanic -

WTF- I guess I must be an old man (I would never start a message using that)

Anyway I am glad it only took you a half of an hour - it took me that long to jack up car and crawl underneath (proves that I am an old man) I guess the reason I am replying is that I really don't think I should have been flamed like that on a public forum.

Jim
Old 04-20-2011, 02:52 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

WTF- I guess I must be an old man (I would never start a message using that)

Anyway I am glad it only took you a half of an hour - it took me that long to jack up car and crawl underneath (proves that I am an old man) I guess the reason I am replying is that I really don't think I should have been flamed like that on a public forum.

Jim
Jim, you did it right. Better to be careful, when you're not sure and have never done it before. Next time, will be faster, because now you know. It took me two months of weekends to overhaul the top end on our blue 87', but I was extra careful and cleaned everything, replacing what was needed, labeling, marking and photographing everything. Yeah, it took me a long time, but guess what? It started on the first try and passed California smog!
Old 04-20-2011, 03:10 PM
69mako
Race Director

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Thats the way I did...took me 1.5 hours and 2 New Castles

Get notified of new replies

To change fuel filter

Quick Reply: change fuel filter