C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

[Code 34] Just appeared on Sunday

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002, 09:52 PM
Scoob
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default [Code 34] Just appeared on Sunday

I was out and about running errands on Saturday. After about the third stop when I went to start my '89 it turned over, ran for a second and died. Weird. I tried again to start it and it turned over normally but this time stayed running. Whatever. No troubles the rest of the day.

Sunday I went out again and it turned over fine but again died after a second. I turned the key again and all was fine. I went out for my errands and returned home with no further events.

Later in the day went out and again it turned over fine but died after a second or so. I turned the key again, it ran for a second, and died. Third time I turned the key, it turned over fine, but this time I gave it the slightest touch of the accelerator to keep the revs up. As the revs came back down it seemed as though it would die again but didn't. This time the SES light appeared. Uh oh. But I was in a hurry so I took another car.

After the dying episodes, once it was running it ran fine. No rough idle, no misses, no problems with acceleration.

Tonight I finally went out to see what code was set when the SES light came on. Code 34, the more vague of the MAF codes. I won't have much time this week to look at it but I'm on vacation next week. I'll start with the air duct to make sure it's not somehow cracked or loose. I did check the MAF connection tonight and it seemed fine. Naturally when I started it tonight it started up like a champ with no problems. About 3 minutes later I turned it over again with no problems.

I'll also remove the duct and make sure the TB is clean.

Any other recommendations as to what I should look for? I do have the proper GM service manual and quickly looked over the Code 34 pages. But like I said, it seems that 34 is the more vague code of the MAF codes.

TIA
Old 04-17-2002, 07:37 AM
Scoob
Team Owner

Default Re: [Code 34] Just appeared on Sunday (Scoob)

TTT
Old 04-17-2002, 08:52 AM
chucks88
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: [Code 34] Just appeared on Sunday (Scoob)

I just went through this ordeal except mine got progressively worse. Same code 34 as you.

So, I replaced the two MAF relays. That didn't help. Then while the car was running rough I disconnected the connection to the MAF and it ran fine. Appears to have been my MAF sensor. Purchased a modified one from here on the mall for $159. It she be here today or tomorrow.

You can also rap/tap on the bottom of the MAF sensor while the car is running rough to see if the idle changes. If it does, as mine did, its' another indicated it is the MAF sensor.

Other possibilities- fuel pump, fuel filter

Good Luck'

Chuck
Old 04-17-2002, 04:18 PM
repo
Team Owner

Location: "when lightning strikes twice, the funerals insane, the funerals insane"
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
St Jude Donor '14-'15

Default Re: [Code 34] Just appeared on Sunday (chucks88)

code 34means =====Buy C5 :smash: :p:
Old 04-17-2002, 06:48 PM
Scoob
Team Owner

Default Re: [Code 34] Just appeared on Sunday (repomania)

code 34means =====Buy C5 :smash: :p:
:lol: Not ready to throw in the towel yet. But I've been eyeballing the C5s lately. They're finally starting to grow on me. Might have to bypass the ZR1 and go to C5.

Get notified of new replies

To [Code 34] Just appeared on Sunday

Quick Reply: [Code 34] Just appeared on Sunday