C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

front engine oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 10:43 PM
ouimetteracing
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front engine oil leak

I have an oil leak that is driving me crazy. We put the engine in the car 400 miles ago. It started out having a little leak in the front of the motor, which it never really did on the dyno. It looked like it would be the oil pan gasket So I went out and got a new Felpro gasket. The correct one and all. Installed it the proper way with the correct torque specs, sequence, and a little bit of silicone in the corners as recommended in the felpro instructions. After this repair the dang thing leaked worse than ever including leaking in the rear. So I went back under the car, not trusting my torque wrench and knowing that these gaskets have little metal spacers to prevent from really over tightening, I gave all the bolts a little twist by hand hoping not to have to take the pan back off. This sealed up the rear leak. However the front still leaked jus as bad. I then ran a line of silicone around the outside of the pan after cleanin it very good. Hoping to at least limit the leak a little. Again this did not help.

The oil is coming from the front but you really cant tell where from, however it is spraying everywhere slinging off the crank pulley. I dont understand why it just started getting so much worse after replaceing the oil pan but it is really acting like the front main isnt seated properly. so that is what I am going to try next Im guessing. The only thing leading me in this direction is the fact that it is spraying all over the hood, and everything, slinging.

I suppose my question is what all is the best way to get the harmonic balancer hub off to allow access to the front main seal. Can I get a puller from autozone in there to the the ati super damper off? and any other tips to getting it done right? This is driving me crazy and I really want it fixed.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:49 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,742 Likes on 1,050 Posts

I don't believe the Super Damper will come off with the engine in the car
Old 04-10-2011, 10:54 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Even a bad crankshaft seal should sling oil that badly. There is a bolt up front on the passenger side that seals off an oil galley. Is that one there?
Old 04-10-2011, 11:40 PM
ouimetteracing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 383vett
Even a bad crankshaft seal should sling oil that badly. There is a bolt up front on the passenger side that seals off an oil galley. Is that one there?
Which one is it that actually seals off an oil galley? top or bottom? I dont remember there being anything in there when it was on the dyno but who knows. It very well may have been. As of right now there is a bolt in the bottom hole which is what we grounded the msd box to and the top hole is empty. It is not a large enough leak to be able to see anything while idling but after a 10 minute trip after getting on it you can deffinetly see oil. I went ahead and put a bolt in both of these holes and will drive it tomorrow to see if I can see a difference.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:07 PM
Marv02
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went though the same mine end beening the front intake gasket keeped on poping out changed it 3 times the 3rd time I did not use the rubber gasket on the china plate I just use high end RTV let dry over night before I started it up no more front end oil leaks.

But I still have a leak in the rear out of the auto trany inspection cover out the drain hole Ha Ha Figures I have still get that one to stop leaking oil, I also put a new rear main seal and oil pan gasket in and still leaks.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:12 PM
mmracecars
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

put a bolt in the top hole,thats the one leads the where the mech fuel pump area.
mike
Old 04-12-2011, 12:35 PM
ouimetteracing
Intermediate

Sweet. Thanks guys looks like it has stopped leaking. Looks like it was the top bolt hole. I dont recall there being a bolt or anything in there on the dyno but who knows, it must have gotten taken out.

Thanks again
Brian

Get notified of new replies

To front engine oil leak

Quick Reply: front engine oil leak