C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How Should I Have My New Engine Balanced?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 03:12 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Default How Should I Have My New Engine Balanced?

I bought new rods and pistons for my engine build and I am having the rotating assembly balanced with my factory crank. How should I have it done? I know the DM flywheel is externally balanced and the balancer is internal, right? Since I am low on cash I am forced to use the heavy DM flywheel and factory balancer for now, but if I have it balanced for those how will it effect my clutch/flywheel options down the road? Is it possible to have it internal balanced and neutral balance the FW (remove weight)?
Old 04-12-2011, 03:24 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Oh I meant for this to go in C4 tech. Could a mod move it for me please?
Old 04-13-2011, 01:21 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Anyone? I will be dropping the parts off this weekend and would like to know what to tell the machinist who will be doing the balancing.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:20 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

I've always had pistons and rings, rods and rod bearings, crankshaft, and flywheel balanced as an unit. I don't think that the flywheel being a dual mass would make a difference.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:33 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

on a side note, on my 96, I'm using a SPEC aftermarket flywheel which is externally balanced, but it appears that the balance is accomplished by a bolted in (not cast in) weight; other wise the flywheel appeared to be a (modified) neutral balanced unit. In other threads I've read of people having a new flywheel "match balanced" to the original flywheel, although I haven't had any experience with this procedure.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mtwoolford
I've always had pistons and rings, rods and rod bearings, crankshaft, and flywheel balanced as an unit. I don't think that the flywheel being a dual mass would make a difference.
Yes he is doing it all together. I guess my question is, is it possible to take some weight out of the DM to neutral balance it?
Old 04-14-2011, 01:48 PM
93VettePilot
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It probably would be cheaper if you are doing a stock rebuild to just buy a crate engine from one of the local auto parts shops. 100,000 and 3yr warranty.

If you must use the dual mass flywheel then tell the balancer to balance the rotating assembly to factory specs.

I tried to have my dual mass flywheel zero balanced and it failed about 3 weeks after I installed it. So I went to a single mass with a sprung clutch disk.

Last edited by 93VettePilot; 04-14-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:12 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

if you're going racing get a single mass. the oem Lt1 camaro flywheel is a cheap way to accomplish this if you can't swing a fidanza just make sure you machine it down, what's the number? .080 or .100? can't remember exactly so double check. also, it's ALWAYS a good idea to have an engine balanced when you're doing a build! not only is engine life increased but it will drive a whole lot smoother
Old 04-14-2011, 04:31 PM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

I take it this is a 350? The front of the crank is internal balance, the rear of the crank is external balance. It is that way for all 1 piece seal engines. If you have a cast crank, you will probably have to stay external balance on the flywheel. Cast cranks generally don't have enough weight in the counterweights to internal balance. You would probably have to add mallory metal to the crank to internal balance. If you have a 4340 crank, the metal is more dense, and internal balance is alot easier.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:47 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

some aftermarket one piece rear seal cranks are neutral balanced, but of course they were designed this way from the get go....would it be possible or economically feasible to have your stock crank so modified (if that is your question) ? ... probably not.

For the same money or less money, you could chuck the dual mass flywheel...regardless of whether or not it can be resurfaced, it isn't going to last forever...and get any of a number of single mass flywheels. Aluminum (12 to 14 pounds), stock weight cast iron , light weight billet steel (21 or 22 pounds) or heavy weight billet steel units; they are available in externally balanced units which would match up with your stock style rotating assembly with no or a minimum of balancing. Thw main deciding factor would be your driving style and personal preference.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:02 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by mtwoolford
In other threads I've read of people having a new flywheel "match balanced" to the original flywheel, although I haven't had any experience with this procedure.
If Kubs wants to (re)use the DMF, match balancing is what I'd do. DMFs, flexplates, and standard (RMW) FW's are supposed to have the same weight offset. If they didn't, you'd need a different (engine) balance -- from the factory -- on automatic setups vs manuals. That's not the case. (Remember TPIs were used WITHOUT DMFs in F-bodies.)

IIRC, the offset is about 30g. If/when you swap to a new FW, just have your shop check to see if the FW offsets are the same.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:31 AM
93VettePilot
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
if you're going racing get a single mass. the oem Lt1 camaro flywheel is a cheap way to accomplish this if you can't swing a fidanza just make sure you machine it down, what's the number? .080 or .100? can't remember exactly so double check. also, it's ALWAYS a good idea to have an engine balanced when you're doing a build! not only is engine life increased but it will drive a whole lot smoother
It is .090 (Alot) which costed me around $80. I love my new camaro flywheel and camaro clutch disk. It is a joy to drive around town and still has the holding power to manage the power of my 383 with AFR heads yet didn't cost near what some of the SPEC setups cost. I got the camaro oem valeo clutch disk off ebay for $100. Then you can get the corvette pressure plate and throwout bearing for about $200 from any of the auto parts chains with a lifetime warranty.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:28 AM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now is the time to pick up that Al flywheel, which for your use would be perfect. And balance it, don't worry about that heavy DM flywheel. Tpi (Jim) provided some nice tips about it but either way I'd toss the flywheel as if you don't upgrade now, you may want to in the future and now is the best time to do it and make sure it is balanced for a more standard flywheel.

Also, take a look at ATIs balancers. If you want to go lightweight it needs to be an internally balanced balancer, so in my mind, this would also be a must.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:35 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tpi 421 vette
I take it this is a 350? The front of the crank is internal balance, the rear of the crank is external balance. It is that way for all 1 piece seal engines. If you have a cast crank, you will probably have to stay external balance on the flywheel. Cast cranks generally don't have enough weight in the counterweights to internal balance. You would probably have to add mallory metal to the crank to internal balance. If you have a 4340 crank, the metal is more dense, and internal balance is alot easier.
That is good info. I guess I will just have it done externally then.

Originally Posted by USAsOnlyWay
Now is the time to pick up that Al flywheel, which for your use would be perfect. And balance it, don't worry about that heavy DM flywheel. Tpi (Jim) provided some nice tips about it but either way I'd toss the flywheel as if you don't upgrade now, you may want to in the future and now is the best time to do it and make sure it is balanced for a more standard flywheel.

Also, take a look at ATIs balancers. If you want to go lightweight it needs to be an internally balanced balancer, so in my mind, this would also be a must.
I would love to pick up a lightweight FW but as it is I am scrapping the bottom of my pockets just to get it running. Things that I dont "need" right now Im not buying.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:51 AM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mike.....,

I had my new 4340 crank neutral balanced but I wish I would have left it the way it came. Like TPI 421 said above, it took a lot of weight.

Last edited by mrc24x; 04-21-2011 at 08:16 PM. Reason: derrrr
Old 04-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Another thought, if I have it balanced externally with the DM flywheel, then later I am able to use an aluminum flywheel, I would just need one with a weight bolted to the back correct? I would not have to have the engine balanced again? If I dont use the DM can I still use the solid disc OEM clutch?
Old 04-15-2011, 12:03 PM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default If I can a question to all the Flywheel Gurus

As I understand it the Steel flywheels spin with more inertia and the Alum spin up faster. So for a smoother transition the steel would be better. If you were racing the Alum would be better. Am I right here?

Get notified of new replies

To How Should I Have My New Engine Balanced?

Old 04-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 87bob
As I understand it the Steel flywheels spin with more inertia and the Alum spin up faster. So for a smoother transition the steel would be better. If you were racing the Alum would be better. Am I right here?
You are correct. Drag racers like the heavier flywheels to help with the launch. My car is road raced where the lighter weight AL would be better.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:15 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,741 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubs
Another thought, if I have it balanced externally with the DM flywheel, then later I am able to use an aluminum flywheel, I would just need one with a weight bolted to the back correct? I would not have to have the engine balanced again? If I dont use the DM can I still use the solid disc OEM clutch?
Yes, you would just bolt the weight in place. It won't be 100% perfect (you'd have to tear it down and rebalance the rotating assembly again for that) , but it'll be fine
Old 04-15-2011, 02:52 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by 93VettePilot
It is .090 (Alot) which costed me around $80. I love my new camaro flywheel and camaro clutch disk. It is a joy to drive around town and still has the holding power to manage the power of my 383 with AFR heads yet didn't cost near what some of the SPEC setups cost. I got the camaro oem valeo clutch disk off ebay for $100. Then you can get the corvette pressure plate and throwout bearing for about $200 from any of the auto parts chains with a lifetime warranty.
i ran that EXACT clutch and it held alright until i started drag racing on nitto 555R's with 360rwhp out of a 357ci miniram engine that clutch only lasted about 4 weekends with the stickier tires and i was able to slip it at launch if i didn't let it out quick.

i later upgraded to one of those XTD ceramic/copper ebay clutches one of the guys i autocross hondas with told me was alright. it sucked! thickness was off and it would make 2nd gear grid due to exactly this.

if you smoke that clutch racing it's totally worth the $$ to spend the money on a quality brand like exedy, centerforce, ram etc..

Quick Reply: How Should I Have My New Engine Balanced?