C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Car Running Like CRAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 11:48 PM
gnf1953
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car Running Like CRAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 1986 Corvette coupe.....60k miles. I don't know if I have 2 seperate problems. The first thing that happened was the gas pedal sticking. My mechanic put a new spring and said to use hightest and fuel injector cleaner for a month. Car started to run worse. I took it to a different guy.....he changed the plugs, wires and did some tests....told me I was only running on 6 cyl and to use hightest and a good fuel injector cleaner for a couple of tank fulls. He told me # 6 and # 8 plugs are not working. Plus...I'm using gas like crazy too. I'm going nuts here.......HELP !!!!! PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you. gnf1953@***.net
Old 04-13-2011, 12:00 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

ohm your injectors...hot and cold. See if 6 & 8 are significantly less than 16ohms. All should read in that area.

Also, your injector coils might be stuck (all/partially) open on those cylinders. Injector cleaning may not cure that.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:09 AM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

sounds like more hillbilly mechanics...

when you have dead cylinders, you FIND OUT WHY. You do NOT tell the customer to go home and use the mecmahic in a bottle "cause he ain;t as lazy as I am"....

what a hoot.
ANyone with a craftman box is now a technitian..

Test them 2 injectors and see what ya got. Probaly leaking all your fuel into the cylinder washing off all the lube oil and getting into the pan as well where the excess gas is ruining that oil as well.

Pull those 2 plugs and see if they are wet. If so, park the car until someone can tear the broken injectors OUT and throw them away.
Order new fuel inj from Jon at FIC and spend $200 to fix this, do it yourself, and forget the brainsurgeons that obviousl;y do not want to work on the car.

Last edited by leesvet; 04-13-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:46 AM
gkrynick22
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leesvet
sounds like more hillbilly mechanics...

when you have dead cylinders, you FIND OUT WHY. You do NOT tell the customer to go home and use the mecmahic in a bottle "cause he ain;t as lazy as I am"....

what a hoot.
ANyone with a craftman box is now a technition..

Test them 2 injectors and see what ya got. Probaly leaking all you fuel into the cylinder washing off all the lube oil and getting into the pan as well where the excess gas is ruining that oil as well.

Pull those 2 plugs and see if they are wet. If so, park the car until someone can tear the broken injectors OUT and throw them away.
Order new fuel inj from Jon at FIC and spend $200 to fix this, do it yourself, and forget the brainsurgeons that obviousl;y do not want to work on the car.
Don't mean to hijack but, what does FIC stand for. I plan on doing injectors this winter.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:09 AM
eaglevision993
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fuel Injector Connection, I also got my new Bosch III from them.
They are sure worth the money.
Replacing them yourself is not that complicated but needs patience and time on hand for those never done this before.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:05 AM
gkrynick22
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eaglevision993
Fuel Injector Connection, I also got my new Bosch III from them.
They are sure worth the money.
Replacing them yourself is not that complicated but needs patience and time on hand for those never done this before.
Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Car Running Like CRAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Car Running Like CRAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!