C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

AC Compressor Self Oiling?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 10:38 PM
raiderz
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Default AC Compressor Self Oiling?

Hello

1986 Coupe AC Compressor is throwing a bit of oil and is pasted on the hood directly above the pulley area.

Air still blows pretty cold and clutch can be turned by hand so its not seizing up...yet

Some threads i have searched point to the seals on the clutch shaft being shot

There seems to be conflicting reports on a few threads here that this is "normal behavior" That these compressors are "self oiling"

Anyone care to chime in here with some knowledge or opinions.

I think i'll be looking for an AC Pulley shield if someone has one for sale--lemme know

Thanks
Old 04-20-2011, 10:42 PM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by raiderz
Hello

1986 Coupe AC Compressor is throwing a bit of oil and is pasted on the hood directly above the pulley area.

Air still blows pretty cold and clutch can be turned by hand so its not seizing up...yet

Some threads i have searched point to the seals on the clutch shaft being shot

There seems to be conflicting reports on a few threads here that this is "normal behavior" That these compressors are "self oiling"

Anyone care to chime in here with some knowledge or opinions.

I think i'll be looking for an AC Pulley shield if someone has one for sale--lemme know

Thanks
It Should NOT throw any oil out the A/C compressor seal.

You can replace the compressor shaft seal yourself if you have the correct service tools.
Autozone and others used to rent out the clutch puller, and shaft seal removal & installation tools.
Kent Moore made them for GM garages & Snap On sold the correct A/C service tools too.

Brian
Old 04-21-2011, 10:11 AM
raiderz
Pro

Thanks for the info Brian. I probably wont be going with the purchase of the rebuild kit and tools required. I will likely in time pick up a new or reman compressor. Have to do the 134a conversion someday anyways.
Right now its not a whole lot of oil being tossed. I will pick up a pulley shield someplace to catch the spray.

I wonder why they sell these shields in the first place?
This must be a common issue with these compressors and the shields an acceptable fix??

My local shop who will do the 134a conversion will not even do the seal repair--suggests to get a replacement compressor
Old 04-21-2011, 07:26 PM
redrose
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default leak (small) is normal

elastomeric seal on steel rotating shaft = some leakage of both oil and refrigerant...at depleted level of either refrig or oil (refrig carries oil to the compressor), the compressor will grind to a halt...do the 134a dance now to assure sufficient oil and refrig to carry the oil.

your 86 (and my 86 also) has a type R4 compressor...mine put an oil film on the hood just a few months after delivery...R4 was also used on caprice/camo/firebird/s-10 and other models, EVERY one that i have checked (dozens, back day, until 'normal' oil mess was accepted) with 'finger slide' on the pulley rear face was oiled...good news is that the R4 is perhaps the 'hardest to kill' a/c compressor ever (per every a/c pro that i have talked with).

Last edited by redrose; 04-22-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:17 PM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the info Brian. I probably wont be going with the purchase of the rebuild kit and tools required. I will likely in time pick up a new or reman compressor. Have to do the 134a conversion someday anyways.
Right now its not a whole lot of oil being tossed. I will pick up a pulley shield someplace to catch the spray.

I wonder why they sell these shields in the first place?
This must be a common issue with these compressors and the shields an acceptable fix??

My local shop who will do the 134a conversion will not even do the seal repair--suggests to get a replacement compressor
I checked your profile, you have a 1986 Vette, I have an 87.

You have the same style A/C compressor as I do.

My car has been converted to R134a freon.
It does not throw any oil to the underside of the hood ever.
Even in July & August 100 degree F Illinois summer heat & high humidity.

Remaned a/c compressor likely the best bang for the dollar fix for you.

Brian
Old 04-22-2011, 10:20 AM
raiderz
Pro

Originally Posted by redrose
elastomeric seal on steel rotating shaft = some leakage of both oil and refrigerant...at depleted level of either refrig or oil (refrig carries oil to the compressor), the compressor will grind to a halt...do the 134a dance now to assure sufficient oil and refrig to carry the oil.

your 86 (and my 86 also) has a type R4 compressor...mine put an oil film on the hood just a few months after delivery...R4 was also used on caprice/camo/firebird/s-10 and other models, EVERY one that i have checked (dozens, back day, until 'normal' oil mess was accepted) with 'finger slide' on the pulley rear face was oiled...good news is that the R4 is perhaps the 'hardest to kill' a/c compressor ever (per every a/c pro that i have talked with).
There's those conflicting reports again regarding this issue.

I don't have a ton of mechanical knowledge or know how but i would think any kind of oil leak is a problem.....but after reading many threads about these compressors---i'm not sure a little seepage is that harmful---mine is very little at all right now.

I'm going to keep the original compressor for now---do the 134a conversion in early summer, and i'm going to put on one of those compressor pulley shields to block the little bit of spray and dress up the engine a bit.

Anyone out these have a pulley shields to sell?

Thanks for the input guys...anymore opinions on this subject are more than welcome---would like to hear all your thoughts and experiences about this "self oiling compressor" thing.

Thanks
Old 04-22-2011, 10:46 AM
redrose
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone out these have a pulley shields to sell?
i actually have one of those shields, someplace in the barn, 'might' be able to find it...'might' sell to a buyer who will accept 'marginal' performance...the shield only covered the area immediately above the pulley, keeps the oil off the hood with limited success as the compressor pulley 'slings' the oil off from the pulley at 360*, turbulent air flow underhood still messes..
Old 04-22-2011, 11:20 AM
raiderz
Pro

Originally Posted by redrose
i actually have one of those shields, someplace in the barn, 'might' be able to find it...'might' sell to a buyer who will accept 'marginal' performance...the shield only covered the area immediately above the pulley, keeps the oil off the hood with limited success as the compressor pulley 'slings' the oil off from the pulley at 360*, turbulent air flow underhood still messes..
Ok thanks...let me know if you find it. Im willing to give the shield a shot---even if it catches a bit of the spray...better than nothing at this point

Ray
Old 04-22-2011, 11:20 AM
383LPE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just fyi, I am a cert HVAC tech and alot of the R12 replacement gases are quite good. If you can use one of them and get 40' out of your vent you are in much better shape than changing to 134a due to the differences in the condensing coil designs needed for R134a to perform properly. (134a needs a bigger coil to disipate the heat properly.) If your vent temps rise considerably, you should top the system off to keep proper lubrication of the compressor.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:15 PM
raiderz
Pro

Originally Posted by 383LPE
just fyi, I am a cert HVAC tech and alot of the R12 replacement gases are quite good. If you can use one of them and get 40' out of your vent you are in much better shape than changing to 134a.
So what's the procedure?
Evacuate the system and refill with something like FREEZE12 using all the original parts and fittings or just top up the R12 system with Freeze12? Can you mix refrigerants?
Old 09-19-2015, 01:13 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

Update; even with the new seal, still slinging some oil. It holds vacuum. Frustrating. I have read that some consider the new seal type to be inferior. The shaft looked perfectly fine to me. I may go back to the old style seal. Of course that means recovering the refrigerant again. Ugh.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:15 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

So what's the procedure?
Evacuate the system and refill with something like FREEZE12 using all the original parts and fittings or just top up the R12 system with Freeze12? Can you mix refrigerants?
You can mix Freeze 12 with R12 but not R134a with R12.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:16 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DinoBob
Update; even with the new seal, still slinging some oil. It holds vacuum. Frustrating. I have read that some consider the new seal type to be inferior. The shaft looked perfectly fine to me. I may go back to the old style seal. Of course that means recovering the refrigerant again. Ugh.
Oh. The system is ice cold and quiet. Even more annoying somehow.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:33 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

oil leak is a problem.
Appearance only, until there is insufficient oil for the compressor, which, in time, fails.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:49 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Mine has thrown oil on the hood and belt tensioner from day one.

I'm planning a conversion to a Denso compressor and R-134a.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:59 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
Mine has thrown oil on the hood and belt tensioner from day one.

I'm planning a conversion to a Denso compressor and R-134a.
Cliff, are you the original owner of that car?

Get notified of new replies

To AC Compressor Self Oiling?

Quick Reply: AC Compressor Self Oiling?