C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

AC compressor

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 12:40 PM
ChrisWhewell
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default AC compressor

On my 93, the AC quit blowing cold, so I added R134-a (system was professionally converted years ago) with dye, and its leaking where the two big pipes interface with the compressor.

Any ideas as to a good source / supplier for the seals (red & blue) that are present at the interface with the compressor ?

While I'm at it, what else should I replace while system is open ? Is there an orifice tube that gets clogged with metal shavings over time ?

thanks !!!!
Old 05-14-2011, 01:19 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

They'll leak like that if someone put in the wrong stuff - sealing washers vs o-rings. If the Manifold is recessed, it takes o-rings; and most stuff did up until R134 or 1994. If it's not recessed, then it uses sealing washers. The only color difference is with o-rings with blue or green usually indicating compatibility with both R12 and R134. Sealing washers are simply black.

Sure, since it's apart, pull the orifice and see if there's any junk in it. If so, remove the line and spray Brake Cleaner through it until it runs clear.

Put in a new Accumulator and dump/add 3 or 4 ozs of compressor oil in it.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:23 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

PS - Missed that you wanted a source. I use a Dealer or NAPA and both may come out with Sealing Washers, so be sure to be firm about what you want (even if they insist that it takes Sealing Washers). Otherwise: www.ackits.com and you can post on their Board if you get stuck with something that no-one can figure out.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:24 PM
ChrisWhewell
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks a bunch. The refrigerator is working again, better than ever.

Get notified of new replies

To AC compressor

Quick Reply: AC compressor