C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

L98 Iron Heads - Head Gasket and Valve Spring Part Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 02:02 PM
Lucky Kid
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L98 Iron Heads - Head Gasket and Valve Spring Part Numbers

Hello All,
I just got the call from the machine shop and they need a gasket set for the valve seals. I can find a bunch of information on the aluminum heads to go with the Felpro 1010 or the 1003 gaskets. But, what should I get with the iron heads?

I would prefer a kit if possible.

Also what type and where should I get valve springs for a stock cam and stock rockers? I may put in 1.6 rollers later. People mention the ZZ4 springs but what part number should I be getting? and will they work with the iron head?

I feel like an idiot in the dark here. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank You,
Lucky Kid
Old 05-23-2011, 05:53 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

most machine shops have a gasket set that they like to use with the surface they put on the heads, I'd go with that, if you're thinking bout doin 1.6 rockers, nows a good time, you'll have many different opinions bout which ones. I went the complete compocam setup from ecklers cause I didnt have to think about it, they already did the work. all i had to do was install it correctly and be happy camper, nows a good time to upgrade to the better injectors also. I'm one of those that figures if you're gonna do that much work, you may as well do all the related parts also, saves doing it later. hope this helps
Old 05-23-2011, 06:45 PM
Lucky Kid
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
most machine shops have a gasket set that they like to use with the surface they put on the heads, I'd go with that, if you're thinking bout doin 1.6 rockers, nows a good time, you'll have many different opinions bout which ones. I went the complete compocam setup from ecklers cause I didnt have to think about it, they already did the work. all i had to do was install it correctly and be happy camper, nows a good time to upgrade to the better injectors also. I'm one of those that figures if you're gonna do that much work, you may as well do all the related parts also, saves doing it later. hope this helps
Thanks for the input. I'll give him a call tomorrow and see what he reccomends.

Any ideas on the springs I should get, if any?

I just ordered the injectors today from FIC.

Thanks,
Roy
Old 05-24-2011, 01:47 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

again , theres alot of folks ahead of you on these upgrades , so you'll find lots of info on this site, and, you'll have a bunch of opinions on this and it depends what you're going to do with it, but for a stock street setup I'm a believer in compcams. What I liked bout the ecklers setup was that it included everything, push rods, locks, nuts, fulcrums, I went with the roller tip 1.6's cause I didnt want the extra issues with full rollers, went with the springs they sell for the same reason, just wanted to bolt things on and run it with out it being tempramental. The price for their compcam kit was less than i could get it from compcams in seperate pieces. hope this helps.

Last edited by oldalaskaman; 05-24-2011 at 02:56 AM.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:15 AM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Make two phone calls, one to CompCams and one to Summitt Racing. Compare what their tech guys say.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:27 AM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Were the iron headed '86s still running a flat tappet cam? Would this affect spring selection?
Old 05-24-2011, 08:37 AM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

Tou can use the 7733 PT2 with iron or alluminum heads. A set of old Z28 springs will work with a stock cam. I think you can get them from GM for cheap. No point in spending big $$$ when you dont need to.

Get notified of new replies

To L98 Iron Heads - Head Gasket and Valve Spring Part Numbers

Quick Reply: L98 Iron Heads - Head Gasket and Valve Spring Part Numbers