C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How Many Guys Are Runnings CenterForce Dual Friction Clutches in there ZF'S

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2002, 11:14 PM
John G 92
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Many Guys Are Runnings CenterForce Dual Friction Clutches in there ZF'S

I just like to know what you guys think of your Centerforce clutch's. And when your or who ever installed them what did you do with your Dual Mass Flywheels? Who replaced them, Who had them resurfaced, Or switched them out for Single Mass flywheels? Any Problems on the install?
Old 04-23-2002, 02:09 AM
AquaMetallic94LT1
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How Many Guys Are Runnings CenterForce Dual Friction Clutches in there ZF'S (John G 92)

I am running one on the original dual mass flywheel. I changed it before the surface was damaged by rivets. I have about 9000 miles on the assy. The clutch was heavily abused right after being installed when the car was delivered by the stupid truck driver (ATLAS VAN LINES SUCK) who backed it out with the parking brake on. Clutch is working fine fortunately.

I have had good results but I have heard of people having problems with it not releasing when its heated up by drag racing etc. Some people have had problems getting it to fit for some reason.
Old 04-23-2002, 08:03 AM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Default Re: How Many Guys Are Runnings CenterForce Dual Friction Clutches in there ZF'S (AquaMetallic94LT1)

I put one in last year. Have about 50 runs in the 1/4 on it and 4000 miles. Never had a problem with it, works great. I reused my 28,000 mile dual mass flywheel. I just scuffed it up with sand paper.
Old 04-23-2002, 08:36 AM
vettmike
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How Many Guys Are Runnings CenterForce Dual Friction Clutches in there ZF'S (John G 92)

I ran a Centerforce Dual Friction setup with a stock flywheel,
the flywheel caused the clutch to wear out, so I went to the
DRM single mass flywheel, very happy with this setup.

I have had stock dual-mass flywheels surfaced with no problems.

As the stock dual-mass flywheel starts to wear out, it will
allow the clutch to slip.
Old 04-23-2002, 12:19 PM
McKVette
Safety Car

I just bought my CenterForce dual friction....so i'll let you know :)

BTW
I am keeping the original flywheel...assuming it looks ok.

-jon
Old 04-23-2002, 12:26 PM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Default Re: How Many Guys Are Runnings CenterForce Dual Friction Clutches in there ZF'S (McKVette)

There's been problem's on the board lately about this. See these thread's :
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=284453
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=279950

I'd like to here how your stock flywheel & centerforce clutch work's out Jon.

Old 04-23-2002, 12:57 PM
JB'S LT4
Racer

Well I just had my dual mass flywheel resurfaced and I also just bought the centerforce dual friction clutch..I'll keep you posted on how it turns out.
Old 04-23-2002, 01:05 PM
McKVette
Safety Car

Default Re: How Many Guys Are Runnings CenterForce Dual Friction Clutches in there ZF'S (FrankUrbinati)

There's been problem's on the board lately about this. See these thread's :
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=284453
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=279950

I'd like to here how your stock flywheel & centerforce clutch work's out Jon.
These threads are refering to SPEC clutches? :confused:
Old 04-23-2002, 01:55 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 370 Likes on 317 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Default Re: How Many Guys Are Runnings CenterForce Dual Friction Clutches in there ZF'S (McKVette)

Some people have had problems with the weights sticking on a centerforce. The problem may have been corrected. I have 60k miles and about 2 dozen passes on my McLeod single mass and loved it. No problems at all. If I wasn't considering selling the car it would still be in. I am converting back to a stock dual mass to make the car sell easier should I decide to sell. I had to replace the rear main anyways so I was already there.
Old 04-23-2002, 04:19 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: How Many Guys Are Runnings CenterForce Dual Friction Clutches in there ZF'S (93Polo)

Bill C had a spec/Star carbon fiber whatever it was in His stage II Lpe car. I don't think He ever liked it. Lots of chatter and it smoked after only a handful of passes. LPE has since stopped using it due to multiple problems.

John, I know it's like anything else(some like it, some don't). I had a centerforce in my mustang...and it took numerous street beatings(motor was about 460 hp) and many track passes with 1.59 60's. Never a problem. The Guy I sold it to did a bunch of runs in the 11's with it too, never had trouble with it. Pedal feel is slightly heavier than stock..but it's not too bad in traffic either.

JD
Old 04-23-2002, 08:26 PM
John G 92
Pro

Default Re: How Many Guys Are Runnings CenterForce Dual Friction Clutches in there ZF'S (93Polo)

93 Polo What flywheel did you put in your car? What year what kinda car? I'm guessing it was from a Camaro. If you took the set up out of the Vette so you can sell it. Do you have the Single mass Flywheel for sale? and just wondering how much the McLeod clutch cost you and were you got it from?
Old 04-23-2002, 08:31 PM
John G 92
Pro

I hope all you other guys who also just bought a Centerforce clutch have good luck with them as myself I hope I do also. Jegs said 2 to 3 week wait till I get it. Ordered it Sunday after I went to the SLP day at E-Town it slipped one time on the way out of a toll both I like to Hammer down out of like ever toll both :smash: we don't have them in CT :) and at the track it was slipping a bit at the line. I guess it's good the original clutch is in the car with 65,000 miles on it.
Old 04-23-2002, 11:21 PM
BOWTYE8
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been running a centerforce dual friction clutch with a single mass flywheel in my ZF for about 4 years. I have over 200 HARD 1/4 passes on it. low to mid 11's last year. low 1.6's for 60's and the clutch is still running strong.
I have no complaints. If It goes anytime soon I would get another.

Dennis
Old 04-24-2002, 03:28 AM
black_89_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: How Many Guys Are Runnings CenterForce Dual Friction Clutches in there ZF'S (BOWTYE8)

I'm running the centerforce dual friction clutch with a DRM single mass flywheel. I have had zero problems with it, and I love it.
Old 04-24-2002, 06:52 AM
LPDesRoche
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

I had a centerforce dual friction set up behind my 383 in my 90. I removed the dual mass in favor of a single mass flywheel. Never had any problems what so ever. I drag raced it fairly often, never any slippage or weird problems. I would buy another if i was in need of a clutch.
Old 04-24-2002, 11:22 AM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: How Many Guys Are Runnings CenterForce Dual Friction Clutches in there ZF'S (LPDesRoche)

Hey Lee,

The Y pipes showed up!

Old 04-24-2002, 02:38 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 370 Likes on 317 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

John,

I'm really not sure on cost. It was cheaper than another dual mass though. The single mass was bought and installed in 99 by a shop that isn't in business anymore. McLeod has an aluminum and a steel flywheel for the ZF. Call up McLeod or one of their vendors and they can help you. If you go with the McLeod be sure to get the disc with a sprung hub not a stock ZF disc.
http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gt1479b...0flywheels.doc has some more info on single mass conversions.

Old 04-25-2002, 10:01 PM
John G 92
Pro

Default Re: How Many Guys Are Runnings CenterForce Dual Friction Clutches in there ZF'S (black_89_vette)

Just like to know since I already ordered my Clutch for my 92 Could I still convert to a Single Mass flywheel or would I have to order one for a early LT1 Camaro? And the single mass Flywheels you guys use. Could I know what year Camaro's they are from I could order for My LT1 92. Do the flywheels work on the L98's and the LT1's?

Get notified of new replies

To How Many Guys Are Runnings CenterForce Dual Friction Clutches in there ZF'S

Quick Reply: How Many Guys Are Runnings CenterForce Dual Friction Clutches in there ZF'S