C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

white cloud of smoke!! help pls!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 04:47 PM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default white cloud of smoke!! help pls!!

hi everyone, i have a 91 l98 with a mild cam, 24 lb buschIII, edelbrock performer heads, and edelbrock hi flow base plate and runners( which were weast of money), and 58 bbk mm, hooker long tubes, one cat, and magnaflow cat back, yesterday i was trying to mess with the coputer tune using ostrich2, for some reason it looks like i didnt load the file corectley into the ostrich, and when i started the car , it was backfiring for couple or three times and then withen a min a white cloud of smoke started coming out of the mufflers, i turned it off right away and put the oem chip back into place and started the car again and its the same smoke and its getting worst, i drove it around town (watching for cops) and i couldnt see nothing behind me from the white smoke!! beside it had no power and felt like one or two cylinders were not firing!!
Old 06-25-2011, 05:01 PM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

i thought i blowed my engine, but i talked to my uncle who is a mechanic and works at a local shop, and he thinks its only timing slipping issue, i know that i have a double timing chain, and its only been like 15k since was installed in the car with the other mods, besides if that would be possible, wouldn't it bend the valves and crack the pistones? right now it fires but it takes me to step on the gas and idles roughley and backfires too when i stepped on it, so i shut it off after a min,,, any ideas?
Old 06-25-2011, 05:24 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

It's nearly impossible that your timing chain slipped. How does the oil look?
Old 06-25-2011, 08:44 PM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

Originally Posted by STL94LT1
It's nearly impossible that your timing chain slipped. How does the oil look?
I already checked the oil and it looks clean
Old 06-25-2011, 08:57 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Your uncle is a mechanic and he says a slipped timing chain will cause white smoke??? There is only two things that will cause white exhaust smoke, cold weather and water in the combustion area.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:04 PM
joe paco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Midnight 85
Your uncle is a mechanic and he says a slipped timing chain will cause white smoke??? There is only two things that will cause white exhaust smoke, cold weather and water in the combustion area.

ever start your vette after a long sleep and see the "white" oil smoke. He says white rather than black fuel smoke.

cause: oil in the combustion chamber.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:35 PM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Don't know if the '91 still uses 'em but I had a '62 Impala with a blown transmission vacuum modulator and the trans fluid being sucked into the intake caused an immense cloud of white smoke.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:08 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Head Gasket? Also white(light blue) smoke= oil and black smoke = fuel.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:05 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by joe paco
ever start your vette after a long sleep and see the "white" oil smoke. He says white rather than black fuel smoke.

cause: oil in the combustion chamber.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:26 AM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Sounds like Head gasket. preignition of backfiring or detonation whatever white smoke can mean the cylinder pressure caused a head gasket to leak coolant. Hopefully you dont have any mechanical damage like piston ring/lands or the piston itself.

If the timing was off and the air/fuel ignites while the piston is trying to come upwards... think about it. The pressure has to go somewhere. so many possibilities !

Last edited by 5abivt; 06-26-2011 at 01:29 AM.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:53 AM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

Your uncle is a mechanic and he says a slipped timing chain will cause white smoke??? .
I think it should be black in that case and not white!!
Old 06-26-2011, 04:18 AM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

Originally Posted by 5abivt
Sounds like Head gasket. preignition of backfiring or detonation whatever white smoke can mean the cylinder pressure caused a head gasket to leak coolant. Hopefully you dont have any mechanical damage like piston ring/lands or the piston itself.

If the timing was off and the air/fuel ignites while the piston is trying to come upwards... think about it. The pressure has to go somewhere. so many possibilities !
my o2 sensor is on the driver side header colector and right next to it is my wide band sensor too which been reading very rich like 10.5:1 since this started even when i was driving it in the freeway to see if i could clean up the engine and the exasut in case the cause was only the bad tune, so i thought that if there is oil burning ( either from bad gasket or bad piston or ring) it will be covering the spark plug and thats why it was so rich because a coverd with oil spark plug= no spark, so i pulled the plugs on the driver side and i couldnt find any oil on them, only carbon, lots of carbon, i cleaned them well and put them back, drove it around , it seemed to start leaning a bit on the wide band for like a min and then it richened again, while the cloud was getting bigger and bigger behind me and i could feel that at least couple of cylenders were not firing!!
Old 06-26-2011, 04:22 AM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

Originally Posted by 5abivt

yah i agree but dont you think that bad tune and couple backfires are not enough to damage the engine when it run only for a min like that?
Old 06-26-2011, 04:25 AM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

tomorrow im gonna pull the right side plugs and check for oil in them too, and my uncle will stop by to check the timing too and we will see ....
Old 06-26-2011, 09:22 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

If you are running rich it will put out black smoke, if you are burning water it will put out white smoke. Before you start it again, pull all the plugs, keep track of which cylinder they came from and look for any that are unusually clean. If you find clean plugs then have someone watch the holes they came out of and crank the engine. If you have a bad head gasket you will have water coming out of the injured cylinders.
If you are describing this correctly you will find the problem. If however the timing has slipped somehow then the computer could be trying to compensate for false readings and make it run rich, BUT, I repeat the smoke is going to be BLACK or dark colored,, not white.
Joe B. also mentioned something that will cause white smoke but there is no modulator on your car.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:01 AM
tlong
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Simple pressure test or coolant test for combustion gasses will tell the tale. White smoke is a head gasket probably and is easy to diagnose.

It will kill the O2 sensors fast, and hydro-lock the cylinder possibly yielding a bent rod or ruptured piston. Sorry but Unc is barking up the wrong tree.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:57 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by tlong
Simple pressure test or coolant test for combustion gasses will tell the tale. White smoke is a head gasket probably and is easy to diagnose.

It will kill the O2 sensors fast, and hydro-lock the cylinder possibly yielding a bent rod or ruptured piston. Sorry but Unc is barking up the wrong tree.

Get notified of new replies

To white cloud of smoke!! help pls!!

Old 06-26-2011, 09:21 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You did not say if this stuff was all new and this was the first start sense. If so there are several things that could cause your problems. I agree with most it sounds like cooleant. Go over everything you have done. I am not one to go to worse case sereno but head gaskets are possible but if you add back firing into the equation I would not rule out cracked head or cyl wall. Back firing in a cyl can cause strange things to happen good luck let us know what you find
Old 06-27-2011, 04:01 AM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

If you are running rich it will put out black smoke, if you are burning water it will put out white smoke. Before you start it again, pull all the plugs, keep track of which cylinder they came from and look for any that are unusually clean. If you find clean plugs then have someone watch the holes they came out of and crank the engine. If you have a bad head gasket you will have water coming out of the injured cylinders.
If you are describing this correctly you will find the problem. If however the timing has slipped somehow then the computer could be trying to compensate for false readings and make it run rich, BUT, I repeat the smoke is going to be BLACK or dark colored,, not white.
Joe B. also mentioned something that will cause white smoke but there is no modulator on your car.
well i can smell the gas too from the smoke which is not white white, its kind of blueish white, if it would be a gasket and its burning water, i think the coolant would be like bubbling or boiling but its not, i took off the led of the coolant tank( the black one ) and i kept it running tell it reached 170 degrees(i have 160 thermostat in it) and the coolant was normal, the timing was corect by the way, tomorrow i will pull out the plugs and check for oil in them, and we will see

Last edited by Ricky 91 vette; 06-27-2011 at 04:02 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-27-2011, 04:07 AM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

by the way, thanks for everyone for all the support and the ideas, i know a good corvette's mechanic, but he is really expensive, and if i know for sure its a gasket, i can pull out the heads and clean them up and put them back again, so that's why im here trying to fix it myself with ur help here

Quick Reply: white cloud of smoke!! help pls!!