C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

wont start security lockout

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 01:52 PM
mjfox
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default wont start security lockout

Need help
My 92 corvette was running I shut it off
went to restart would not turn over at all
I believe security is locking it out used the remote to open and close doors whick arms security will still not start any ideas

thanks mike
Old 06-25-2011, 02:01 PM
stoydido
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mjfox
Need help
I believe security is locking it out used the remote to open and close doors whick arms security will still not start any ideas

thanks mike
"at all" meaning, no noise, no one click or two under at the solenoid? if there is any click, the VATS is working.

try the spare key, clean the resister on them, soap and water. air bag fuse ok? abs fuse? trans in neutral for sure? they jiggling shifter, was my prob on the 91. lots of things get in the game when ecm does not get the signal it wants.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:29 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 142 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

thanks mike
You might want to list what type of remote your using.
'92 Corvette didn't have factory keyless entry.

So, is your aftermarket system messing up somehow?
Old 06-25-2011, 03:47 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Need help

thanks mike
If you've pissed off the VATS module,. you have to always allow 20 minutes to pass before trying to restart other wise you just reset the lockout. Its on a timer and early attempts will keep you locked out al day.

If after some time has passed and its still doing the same thing, its possible the module has failed OR the starter enable relay. Relays are easy...the module is a little more expensive and can only be diagnosed by a continued no start with the enable relay bypassed/replaced or jumpered.

For whatever reason these will "get an attitude" and just fail to cooperate. Mine did it this morning. Reset time is random between 4 minutes and 15. I wait 20 to be certain. I've done the inpatient "try it now" game and lost too many times to be dumb enough to sit in the grocery store parking lot for an hour sweating and pissed off because I could'nt wait another 3 or 4 more minutes...just give it 20 before even getting seated.

Mine did it several times last yr then no problem since then. Its usually got nothing to do with the key...if the contacts are there in the key switch, its ok. Keys can be wet, cold, hot or whatever, as long as both sides make contact. You can use a Q-tip in the switch with a drop of alcohol if it makes you feel better...

Most often, its just a waiting game to first see if there is a part failure, then to see which to look at. 7 out of 10 times its just a matter of waiting it out...Thats what a car thief cannot do, and why VATS virtually eliminated Corvette thefts.

Get notified of new replies

To wont start security lockout

Quick Reply: wont start security lockout