C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Convertor is damp, but not smoking, or leaking

Old 04-24-2002, 03:28 PM
MDC9966
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Convertor is damp, but not smoking, or leaking

Well sort of on the leaking. 130K miles, I haven't done a compression check yet, no leaks in the garage, no coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant. I do have leaking valve seals (guides) and the usual symptoms (puff of smoke on warm restart). Starts fine, haven't looked at plugs for about 3000 miles. When cold starts good, idles ok 600-700 rpm, white condensation smoke after initial warm up for about 5 minutes. Timing set at 4(btdc), anything over that causes severe pinging. I have a snapon scanner and even at 4, I see the timing retard under hard accleration even though I don't hear pinging. The IAC counts range from 8-100 depending on the conditions (start and restart on the high side and after idle search and set anywhere from 0-8).
When I got home a one night I was looking under the car and noticed the main cat looked damp, It had cooled enough to touch so I checked it out and it appeared to have a damp black oil residue on it as well as the pipe fitting going up to the air pump. The air pump was removed and capped about 3 months ago. I've also noticed the exhaust has a rich smell to it. It will nearly burn your eyes sometimes. The car never smokes except on warm restart due to valve guides. I did notice one night while idling in the garage, I could see an almost white smoke coming from the exhaust as it passed by the lights but that would mean it was lean right?, and I never can see it during the daylight.

My ideas:
Lost compression, and oil consumption being absorbed by the main cat. Not smoking because it is acting as a sponge then maybe smoking a small amount during highway driving and I don't notice it?

Something with the IAC causing the car to idle and run RICH or LEAN?

The injectors leaking during idle and that's what I'm smelling and that's why the convertor is damp?

Something with the ignition not burning all the fuel and that's why the convertor is damp?

I know this was a long post. I'm confused as to where to start. Compression check first? Injector leaking test? fix valve guides? new plugs again, with wires, cap and rotor? Throw some steps at me and that's the route I'll go.
Thanks,

[Modified by Curtis629, 2:32 PM 4/24/2002]
Old 04-26-2002, 11:04 AM
MDC9966
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: Convertor is damp, but not smoking, or leaking (Curtis629)

ttt

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Convertor is damp, but not smoking, or leaking