C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Which scanner for 1985 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 08:59 PM
pghjeeper
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Which scanner for 1985 Vette

I want to be able to check data on my sensors so I'm not playing a guessing game with the car when it runs bad. I have ha d aproblem recently with my car. I thought it was a bad injector but now I'm thinking it may be a sensor.....maybe the IAC. My car is running a bit rich, ideling higher than normal when cold then stumbleing when you pull to a traffic light, hot before surging and then leveling out. This only seems to happen when the car is hot and only reared its head after I dereased the motor. I checked the airfilter to make sure I didn't get it wet and its fine. I plan to change the cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and clean the MAF and TB this weekend. I would also add that my oil has a faint gas smell. It also seems to be heating up a bit more than usual. The car runs great when under throttle and has no power loss.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:35 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

DO NOT buy the Auto-Xray...it doesn't support the 85 870 chip.

I found out the hard way.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:00 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

If you have a laptop, download the free WinALDL program and buy the USB cable to interface with the diagnostic terminal. Total cost apprx $60 and will give you the ability to datalog.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:10 PM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pghjeeper
I want to be able to check data on my sensors so I'm not playing a guessing game with the car when it runs bad. I have ha d aproblem recently with my car. I thought it was a bad injector but now I'm thinking it may be a sensor.....maybe the IAC. My car is running a bit rich, ideling higher than normal when cold then stumbleing when you pull to a traffic light, hot before surging and then leveling out. This only seems to happen when the car is hot and only reared its head after I dereased the motor. I checked the airfilter to make sure I didn't get it wet and its fine. I plan to change the cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and clean the MAF and TB this weekend. I would also add that my oil has a faint gas smell. It also seems to be heating up a bit more than usual. The car runs great when under throttle and has no power loss.
It's possible that the IAC (which, btw, is a valve, not a sensor) needs to be cleaned. If you have no driveability problem when cold (open loop operation) the IAC is a possibility, as it is not used then.

Until you get a scanner, you can pull codes from the ALDL connector with a paper clip, this is detailed in the "search" section of this forum.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:02 PM
odecom5
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Posting because I have this same exact problem. Recent full tune-up, new set of injectors, etc.

I get a code 33 in my car using the paperclip method.

Hope you find your answer!
Old 07-07-2011, 04:13 PM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by odecom5
Posting because I have this same exact problem. Recent full tune-up, new set of injectors, etc.

I believe there is a list of codes by year in the sticky by socalman.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:32 PM
pghjeeper
Racer

Originally Posted by odecom5

Have you found whats wrong? Or is it still occuring?
Old 07-07-2011, 06:47 PM
odecom5
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pghjeeper
Have you found whats wrong? Or is it still occuring?
Still occurring... in fact, just went out to do the IAC and TPS adjustment, and it seems to have created more problems. Just started a new thread about it here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...post1578073711

Old 07-09-2011, 06:08 PM
pghjeeper
Racer

Changed out the cap, rotor, plugs, wires clenaed the TB, MAF and IAC with new gaskets. Also added a 180 t stat and did a TB coolant bypass and she runs great for now. 180ish on the highway and 210-215 around town with heavy traffic.
The throttle body was so dirty I had to use TB cleaner and a plastic scraper just to clean it. The IAC has slight corrosion on the tip so i lightly wire brushed it. The cap and rotor where horrible very carbon tracked, but they where 26 years old. The wires where a total bitch to change....whats up with all the wire looms and the wires under the distributor.
Also wanted to add the MAF had a large leaf on the intake side blocking it up....still not sure how it got in there.

Get notified of new replies

To Which scanner for 1985 Vette

Quick Reply: Which scanner for 1985 Vette