C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Pro Street 89 Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 11:12 PM
SpeedRacer61
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro Street 89 Build

I have been motivated by several other builds on the forum! Our new project is to build a Pro Street / Drag 89 C4. The goals are to back half the car, 750 to 1000 hp small block, front coilovers, try to make it a bit unique and to do it on a limited budget. Not looking to sacrifice quality, safety or performance, but this is going to be a true garage build. These builds are never cheap but we plan on using good quality used parts, buy, sell and trade parts and anything else to control cost.

Starting with the base car. We found this 89 C4 that fit our needs perfectly. Good body, good paint, engine and trans with 50,000 miles, good wheels and tires and good suspension. The only problem was that, for whatever reason the previous owner had butchered the wiring in the car. Wires were cut in the ignition system, headlights, etc which made this car unattractive for buyers looking for a good driver but perfect for me! Purchase price was $3300 and I am pretty sure I have the engine and trans sold. I am hoping by the time I sell off the parts I dont need I will have less than $1500 in the body.

If anyone is needing a rear end or other parts I wont use in this type of build just let me know.

Here is a pic of the base car as it sits right now. Actually it still runs and drives fine so I have kept it together as I gather parts for the build. I will show what I have gotten in future installments.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:29 PM
SpeedRacer61
Advanced

If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, or parts they think I might be interested in, give me a yell! I have already talked to several forum member and gotten some great info and help.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:42 AM
Lemme
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

As a budding drag racer trying to get my 2 c4s to go down the track faster I am jumping on board for the ride too.

First questions?

1. How exactly will you "back half the car"? (http://autoweldchassis.com/Instruct.ivnu)
2. Why change the suspension on the front?

Last edited by Lemme; 07-22-2011 at 01:44 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:23 AM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Or you can go on racing junk and buy a pro street for less than it will cost you to build. I see them for 8K and up for a great starter.

Unless you just care about doing a project and money is not the issue.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:45 AM
Lemme
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by pologreen1
Or you can go on racing junk and buy a pro street for less than it will cost you to build. I see them for 8K and up for a great starter.

Unless you just care about doing a project and money is not the issue.
If you are really lazy and don't want to spend money then just watch the video. Works for me.

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2011/...om-down-under/
Old 07-22-2011, 07:49 AM
cadmaniac
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

You can sell the seats, and all the interior parts and come out ok, but it's going to take time and work. There is a guy with a red corvette who is backhalving his red vette, similar year. Doing a fantastic job, by the way...Read the whole thing.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...s-project.html

These guys are correct, it going to take time, skills and money........and patience. If you could fine one partly done, or find a bolt in solid rearend from Rod and Carrols racecraft, that could save you a lot of headaches.

http://www.rodandracecraft.com/products_corvettec4.htm

You'd better have some great welding and fabrication skills before attempting this. Not saying you don't, just saying. 9 second quarter mile times in a less that superior chassis isn't smart.

I've built several cars over the years, thay always cost more money, take more time, and there is always just a couple of more things to do....

Here's a short list.

Sell your parts
Engine
Transmission/shifter
Differential
Chassis upgrade (backhalf or roll cage)
Fuel system
seats
gauges
wheels
tires
brakes....and whatever it takes to stop it.
cooling system
hood modifications and paint
2-3 years of you spare time, and all your money!

It's a big project.
Good luck!!!

Last edited by cadmaniac; 07-22-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:52 AM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have tossed the same idea around before as well. Good Luck!
Old 07-22-2011, 12:57 PM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

See my build thread if you need ideas:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...cs-inside.html
Old 07-22-2011, 01:26 PM
SpeedRacer61
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lemme
As a budding drag racer trying to get my 2 c4s to go down the track faster I am jumping on board for the ride too.

First questions?

1. How exactly will you "back half the car"? (http://autoweldchassis.com/Instruct.ivnu)
2. Why change the suspension on the front?
I will back half it exactly as it shows in the link you provided. It will be a complete 4 link rear frame upgrade capable of handling 16" tires.
I am not looking to change the front suspension too much. I do want to get rid of the mono spring and go with a coil over in able to get a better ride height and adjustment. I may also go with an adjustable upper a arm and sectioned lower to bring the tire a little further into the wheel well.

Last edited by SpeedRacer61; 07-22-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:33 PM
SpeedRacer61
Advanced

Originally Posted by cadmaniac
You can sell the seats, and all the interior parts and come out ok, but it's going to take time and work. There is a guy with a red corvette who is backhalving his red vette, similar year. Doing a fantastic job, by the way...Read the whole thing.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...s-project.html

These guys are correct, it going to take time, skills and money........and patience. If you could fine one partly done, or find a bolt in solid rearend from Rod and Carrols racecraft, that could save you a lot of headaches.

http://www.rodandracecraft.com/products_corvettec4.htm

You'd better have some great welding and fabrication skills before attempting this. Not saying you don't, just saying. 9 second quarter mile times in a less that superior chassis isn't smart.

I've built several cars over the years, thay always cost more money, take more time, and there is always just a couple of more things to do....

Here's a short list.

Sell your parts
Engine
Transmission/shifter
Differential
Chassis upgrade (backhalf or roll cage)
Fuel system
seats
gauges
wheels
tires
brakes....and whatever it takes to stop it.
cooling system
hood modifications and paint
2-3 years of you spare time, and all your money!

It's a big project.
Good luck!!!
Yep I am very aware of all you said. I have already read Tachouts (red vette) blog and talked to him on the phone about his build.

Even though we are trying to be somewhat budget aware I do know we arent doing everything as cheaply as we could be. I could have bought a started project or gone with a bolt in rear, but we like the pride of doing the build, and I want to run bigger tires than a bolt in will handle.

I do have a decent amount of building and fabrication experience. I have either built or helped build 2 tube chassis cars, 2 rear engine dragsters and 1 altered. Most were in a better supplied area than my garage but the altered was totally built in my garage (you can see it in my pictures).

I totally agree with the taking more time and money part. I usually think of what it may cost and then at least double it! lol
Old 07-22-2011, 01:35 PM
SpeedRacer61
Advanced

Originally Posted by RUKWKR
See my build thread if you need ideas:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...cs-inside.html
All ready done my friend! I have already read all your thread and printed it out for reference! I only hope my will be as nice as yours! I am the one that contacted you about a month ago about the pictures of you front a arms. Thanks for the info and help!
Old 07-22-2011, 05:01 PM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedRacer61
All ready done my friend! I have already read all your thread and printed it out for reference! I only hope my will be as nice as yours! I am the one that contacted you about a month ago about the pictures of you front a arms. Thanks for the info and help!
Ah yeah, I remember your forum name now!

Good luck!

Also, since you are so close you are welcome to take a look at the car anytime.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:08 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
St. Jude Donor '10

Old 07-22-2011, 10:11 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

is this an auto or stick car?
Old 07-23-2011, 12:11 AM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Subscribed,

Good Luck with your New project Pro Street C4 Build.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:12 AM
cadmaniac
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Well, it sounds like you are very motivated. I'm excited to watch this build. The car is going to be awesome, and it sounds like you have the skills to git-er-done...

I'm looking forward to following this !!!!

Old 07-23-2011, 10:19 AM
SpeedRacer61
Advanced

Originally Posted by cadmaniac
Well, it sounds like you are very motivated. I'm excited to watch this build. The car is going to be awesome, and it sounds like you have the skills to git-er-done...

I'm looking forward to following this !!!!

I appreciate it, of course it will probably be a long, slooowww, project. Between time and kids in college (money) I wont be in any hurry! lol

Get notified of new replies

To Pro Street 89 Build

Old 07-23-2011, 10:19 AM
SpeedRacer61
Advanced

Originally Posted by 88BlackZ-51
is this an auto or stick car?
Its an automatic
Old 07-23-2011, 10:20 AM
SpeedRacer61
Advanced

Originally Posted by RUKWKR
Ah yeah, I remember your forum name now!

Good luck!

Also, since you are so close you are welcome to take a look at the car anytime.
I just now looked to see where you are located. DAMN! I was just in Bowling Green about a month ago for the Hot Rod Reunion!

Last edited by SpeedRacer61; 07-24-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:02 PM
tachout
Racer

I will follow your build closely. Mine is coming a long slowly. Working on the Convertible now, but will be working on the coupe off and on too. Looking forward to seeing your back half and cage come together. That was a ton of fun on mine. Looking foward to getting into the drivetrain on mine text

Tachout
(Red Vette)

Quick Reply: Pro Street 89 Build