C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

92 dies / cranks but no start

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 01:24 PM
ricott
Racer

Received 262 Likes on 76 Posts

Default 92 dies / cranks but no start

I'm a multi-generational corvette owner - a 58 that we are currently restomodding with an aftermarket chassis and an LS1/4l60 - a stock 71 350/auto - and a 1992 corvette that one of my college sons is now driving. Most of my time is spent on the forums for the earlier models, but now I have an issue with the 1992 that I would appreciate some help.

My son called and said the car would crank and run, but driving down the road it will shut off like the key has been turned off. He could put the car in nuetral (an auto) while the car was still rolling, turn the key to the crank position, and the car will immediately start and he could continue driving. Sometimes the car would continue with no problems, others it might die in within another minute or two.

I drove to his college (150 miles one way) and swapped cars with him earlier today. I drove the corvette home, and it died several times alone the return 150 mile trip. At home I had the car idling, and it died. I put a fuel gage on the car and restarted. I was running 40 + PSI. While looking at something else, the car died again - it had 40 PSI on the gage and it held constant. I replaced the Optispark, Plugs, and Plug wires last year when I replaced the Waterpump. Car run absolutely great when it runs! Now for the questions:

1. On a 92, does the VATS controll the fuel pump relay and the ECM Injector pulse?
2. Is the VATS module stand alone, or part of the Body Control Module?
3. If the VATS is stand alone, where is it located?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Ricky

Last edited by ricott; 08-06-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Did you have any codes? When I first started reading this thread I immediately thought about the optispark as mine was a rusty mess at the 40K mile. It didn't stop running, it was getting ready to leave on the side of the road. Take a look at the coil. I replaced mine with a MSD one. Look for a bad contact or ground. Then I'd look for a faulty relay. Do you have a factory service manual? It has a good section detailing problem areas and codes.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:35 PM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is NOT vats, but does sounds exactly like a bad ICM (located on front of passenger side head). VATS disables the starter and injector pulse only while trying to start the car and will never shut down a running engine. Also, if VATS doesn't recognize the 'pellet' on the key the security light will come on and stay on. I woould take the ICM (ignition control module) to an auto parts store and have it heat cycled and tested. The coil is also a possibility.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:01 PM
ricott
Racer

Received 262 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I wiill look to see the status of the security light, but I do not think it was on other than flashing when you first enter the car. VATS was my first thought - if it did not control the fuel pump/starter - both worked when the car was turning over today but would not start.

My second son has a 93 LT1/T56 Camaro at another college about 60 miles away. I have swapped parts before from one car to the other when I had problems in order to isolate the bad part. Last year I used this method to isolate that my son's Camaro had a bad coil when his car would not start. I think I will pick his car up tomorrow afternoon and do the parts switch under the hood. I will update after I have done this. Thanks again.

Ricky
Old 08-06-2011, 07:11 PM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

yup sounds like the ignition module don't forget to use heat sink paste..not the dielectric they say to use..I would change the coil also..
Old 08-07-2011, 07:56 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

When you replace the ICM also check the connector that plugs into it.

Also check the harness from the opti to the ECM connector on the intake.
The wiring may chekc OK, but play with the connectors to make them "tighter"

Get notified of new replies

To 92 dies / cranks but no start

Quick Reply: 92 dies / cranks but no start