C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Dyno'd my 86, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 08:36 AM
blakngold4life
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Dyno'd my 86, what do you think?

I went ahead and put my car on the dyno at Carlisle just to see what it had. I wasn't expecting anything radical, but thought for sure I would be over 200hp and 300ft/lbs. Found out I was running very rich, how do I fix this? Any comments on the numbers or what I can do to improve them are welcome. Also, if you can tell a difference in the curve on mine with an modified TPI versus a stock TPI let me know, as I don't really know what to compare it to. All I've done so far is ported edelbrock runners, ported plenum and base, open air lid with k&n filter and underdrive pulleys. It also still has the stock cast iron heads.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:15 AM
dynocar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Due to possibly the tq converter clutch engaging at 3400 RPM your peak tq number spiked and is reading higher then it should, probably actually around 280 tq. Yes you are running way to rich that could be corrected with a custom chip, you could pick up approx 10-20 TQ and HP it you could get WOT A/F around 12.8. The dyno is using the proper SAE correction and smoothing factor so your numbers could be approx 5-10% lower then some of the dyno numbers posted that do not. Your numbers are typical for a stock 86 so if you were to lean it out you will probably be where you want to be.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:23 AM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

The rich probably needs to be fixed with some sort of tune assuming injectors are in good working condition.

The curve - not that I've spent a lot of time looking at dyno results, I think it's interesting that with ported intake you peaked at 4100rpm, seems low.

I did the Carlisle dyno thing back when I had stock upper end, stock bottom with a cam and aftermarket exhaust (stock manifolds) and hit 230 to the rear wheels I believe closer to 4500 rpm.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:28 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ibl
Old 08-29-2011, 09:39 AM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by rebelheart
Ibl
Old 08-29-2011, 09:39 AM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

About normal, I think, except for the rich condition.
A freer flowing exhaust is about the best help for an otherwise mostly stock TPI.
I bet that would wake it up some. It did mine.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:11 AM
blakngold4life
Pro

Is the only way to correct the richness a tune? If so does anyone have recommendations in Va, I know its getting harder and harder to find people to tune OBD1. I've also seen adjustable fuel pressure regulators, would that be an option? I plan on doing heads/cam in a few years and would prefer not to spend the money to get it tuned twice. The curve peaking so low is what I think is the weirdest, I know the intake has been opened up more than stock but I did that with the intention to increase the RPM's, not sure what went wrong there.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:22 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Decrease the fuel pressure with an adjustable pressure regulator. Decrease it approx 10%. It'll help at wot.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:47 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Whoa! Did the 86 have less HP than the 88 (I can't remember)?

I had an 88 auto theat I put on the dyno with 100+K miles and IIRC it was 214 rwhp and 300+ tq. If the rated HP is the same you have a sick puppy. Do a compression and leak down test first. Your STOCK tune should be real close on AF ratio - remember it had to pass emissions when it was built. If its running rich you have an air leak thats causing the O2 sensors to tell the computer to send more fuel.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:11 PM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

looks like you had quite a hic-up, shift or full lockup @ 3400 any codes or black smoke out the tail pipes with this A/F ratio?
Old 08-29-2011, 12:28 PM
blakngold4life
Pro

Originally Posted by engle1147
looks like you had quite a hic-up, shift or full lockup @ 3400 any codes or black smoke out the tail pipes with this A/F ratio?
I believe the guy running it said that was the converter lockup (its an automatic), no codes or smoke
Old 08-29-2011, 03:29 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start with fixing the A/F ratio a Mustang vs Dynojet dyno can be a 50+ hp difference so don't get too worked up over the numbers yet.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:38 PM
navy_vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blakngold4life
I believe the guy running it said that was the converter lockup (its an automatic), no codes or smoke
Lockout bypass switch. I have my sitting on the back side of my ashtray since I never use it. It just keeps the lockout engaged.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:50 PM
MK 82
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Used to have an 86 myself. Best think you can do is headers with true duals and heads. The cast iron heads are boat anchors.

Custom chip will fix rich condition.

Eddie
Old 08-29-2011, 06:39 PM
dynocar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the only way to correct the richness a tune? If so does anyone have recommendations in Va, I know its getting harder and harder to find people to tune OBD1. I've also seen adjustable fuel pressure regulators, would that be an option? I plan on doing heads/cam in a few years and would prefer not to spend the money to get it tuned twice. The curve peaking so low is what I think is the weirdest, I know the intake has been opened up more than stock but I did that with the intention to increase the RPM's, not sure what went wrong there.
Yes, the only way is with a tune, DO NOT use an adj fuel pressure regulator to lean your engine out. It will temporarily lean the engine out but as the ECM re-learns in closed loop by the integrator and block learn multiplier, it will add more fuel to compensate, even at open loop, WOT. Plus, the decreased fuel pressure will not provide as good of an injector spray pattern that could affect fuel atomization.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:53 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

^None of that is true^ If it were true, then why doesn't it correct the overly rich condition that currently exists? According to your theory, the thing must be "self tunning". It's not.

Is the only way to correct the richness a tune?
No. You can do something as simple as lowering your fuel pressure. I know, because I've done it.

When you need to tune in the ECM or chip, is when you have localized spots in the RPM range that are out of whack. Making a "global" change such as injector size or fuel pressure may fix the issue in one of the localized spots...but hurt it elsewhere. If you'll notice, your A/F ratio went FAT, the second you mashed the gas, and stayed virtually flat, the entire time. That means there isn't a "curve" that needs localized tuning (ECM/Chip); the WHOLE THING is fat. You can fix that easily (and for FREE) by lowering your fuel pressure.

And the "reduced atomization" you'll see from lowering FP won't mean squat.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 08-29-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:41 PM
blakngold4life
Pro

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
^None of that is true^ If it were true, then why doesn't it correct the overly rich condition that currently exists? According to your theory, the thing must be "self tunning". It's not.

No. You can do something as simple as lowering your fuel pressure. I know, because I've done it.

When you need to tune in the ECM or chip, is when you have localized spots in the RPM range that are out of whack. Making a "global" change such as injector size or fuel pressure may fix the issue in one of the localized spots...but hurt it elsewhere. If you'll notice, your A/F ratio went FAT, the second you mashed the gas, and stayed virtually flat, the entire time. That means there isn't a "curve" that needs localized tuning (ECM/Chip); the WHOLE THING is fat. You can fix that easily (and for FREE) by lowering your fuel pressure.

And the "reduced atomization" you'll see from lowering FP won't mean squat.
Thanks for this info and explanation. I really wasn't liking the idea of paying around $200 for a tune just to need one again after I do more, plus that would push my getting headers back further. I guess the next thing is to get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, or is there a way around that as well?

Get notified of new replies

To Dyno'd my 86, what do you think?

Old 08-29-2011, 07:47 PM
biggrizzly
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist

How much did they charge to do the pulls at Carlisle? I heard them all day on Friday and thought about it.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:49 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

My bone stock 88 dynoed 211rwhp/321rwtq if memory is correct years ago. That was a dynojet fyi.......

This may give you an idea where you are at....
Old 08-29-2011, 08:05 PM
blakngold4life
Pro

Originally Posted by biggrizzly
How much did they charge to do the pulls at Carlisle? I heard them all day on Friday and thought about it.
It was $80 for two pulls, I know there are better prices than that out there but it was worth the experience. To all those saying their 87's-91's have more power. I know this is true as horsepower increased each year, thus I specified I have an auto and cast iron heads, the lowest powered tpi cars. Thanks for all the replies, and continue enlightening me on what I can do to.

Quick Reply: Dyno'd my 86, what do you think?