C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Code P1441 - '96 LT4

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 01:59 PM
techvette
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Code P1441 - '96 LT4

I am having a problem with the check engine light coming on and code P1441 being thrown periodically for the last month or so.

I replaced the gas cap, it was off for a few days and came back. I replaced the emissions solenoid (cube-shaped solenoid on the P/S of the intake manifold w/ a connector and two vacuum lines).

The light remained off for 10 days and over 1000 miles. It is my daily driver and I also took a 700 road trip within that time.

Now it's back on. Any suggestions on what the next link in the chain to check would be? The vacuum lines that are easy to see look fine to me.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:10 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,741 Likes on 1,049 Posts

It's typically one of two things...The purge solenoid is bad or the charcoal is breaking up inside the canister, clogging the solenoid.

Sounds like you changed the purge solenoid and things were fine for awhile. That would indicate the charcoal is breaking up in the EVAP canister and it's clogged the new solenoid.

For clarity, here's the part I'm talking about....

ACDELCO Part # 214565
VALVE,Evaporative Emission Canister PURGE SOLENOID 2 PORT VAC-2 BLADE TERMINAL

Located on the right side of the intake manifold.

Simple test: Remove the two vacuum hoses. Remove the electrical connector. Blow air thru either port on the solenoid. If the air passes freely, the solenoid is bad.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:42 PM
techvette
Burning Brakes

Would a new solenoid fail if it was to get clogged?
Old 09-06-2011, 03:43 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by techvette
Would a new solenoid fail if it was to get clogged?
It's possible. Did you perform the simple test I mentioned above?
Old 09-06-2011, 08:34 AM
techvette
Burning Brakes

I did on the old one when it got replaced. Haven't had a chance to pull the new one off and try it yet. Will do so as soon as I get a chance.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:42 PM
techvette
Burning Brakes

New solenoid works fine. Next up will be replacing this evaporative purge valve switch (or something like that) pictured. I am having a bit of trouble finding it available, though. Anyone got a part number?

I know, I know...Dirty engine bay...It's a daily driver and I have been super busy with work. It will get cleaned before it's time to store it for winter.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:08 PM
techvette
Burning Brakes

So last fall I replaced the solenoid and the purge valve pictured above. I took the car out of storage and put it back on the road a few weeks ago. The CEL is back, same code. I removed the lines that connect to the charcoal canister and blew compressed air (at low pressure) through them (and the lines going in to the canister). The light is back again.

What's next? I am thinking the purge valve right next to the canister in the rear quarter panel (Delphi # CV10041). If that doesn't work I will replace the canister.

Any other ideas? Those are the last two parts of the system I have not replaced yet!

Also, how do you get the clamp loose that holds the charcoal canister? I tried to remove it to inspect it and couldn't get the darn clamp to let go! It is plastic and I don't want to break it...Any hints from those who have removed theirs?
Old 05-07-2012, 09:17 PM
techvette
Burning Brakes

Delphi valve arrived today. Hopefully this will take care of that annoying CEL, once installed.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:08 PM
Phat98
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Delphi valve arrived today. Hopefully this will take care of that annoying CEL, once installed.
Well, what's the verdict?
Old 05-15-2012, 08:49 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Phat98
Well, what's the verdict?
Old 05-15-2012, 09:58 PM
Elrick
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm wondering how you got the clamp off the canister, if you are talking about the one above the right rear wheel well. I removed the plastic skirt to clean and all the vacuum lines on mine are so brittle they are falling apart, I didn't want to snap that clamp either.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:07 AM
techvette
Burning Brakes

Dag nabbit! I replaced the purge valve and the light came back on the following day. At this point I am thinking it's the canister or some very small vacuum leak in the system. I am dropping it off with the mechanic next week. Perhaps some high-dollar diagnostic equipment can shed some light on this annoying little issue.

Originally Posted by Elrick
I'm wondering how you got the clamp off the canister, if you are talking about the one above the right rear wheel well. I removed the plastic skirt to clean and all the vacuum lines on mine are so brittle they are falling apart, I didn't want to snap that clamp either.
Here is a link to a thread with some close-ups of the canister / clamp. Removal should make more sense once you have a look.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...-big-pics.html
Old 05-23-2012, 10:16 PM
techvette
Burning Brakes

Hooked the system up to a smoke machine today. Lots of it coming out of the charcoal canister. I guess it's time to replace it if I can find one...
Old 06-04-2012, 08:53 PM
techvette
Burning Brakes

You gotta be freakin' kidding me! I replaced the canister to the tune of $80 over the weekend and the smoke machine "diagnosis" cost me $50. Guess what friendly little light is back on?

I have now replaced EVERY component of the evap system. The smoke was apparently coming out of the vent on top of the canister. I guess it's time to replace every rubber line in the system and see if that does the trick. I am already $250 into this! Aargghh!!!
Old 06-05-2012, 11:22 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

You gotta be freakin' kidding me! I replaced the canister to the tune of $80 over the weekend and the smoke machine "diagnosis" cost me $50. Guess what friendly little light is back on?

I have now replaced EVERY component of the evap system. The smoke was apparently coming out of the vent on top of the canister. I guess it's time to replace every rubber line in the system and see if that does the trick. I am already $250 into this! Aargghh!!!
The guy running the smoke machine is a dumb A**. Vent solenoids are NORMALLY OPEN. They have to be commanded shut by the ECM. Unless he/she did this you would get a FALSE leak at the canister vent solenoid.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:00 PM
techvette
Burning Brakes

I figured it out: The purge solenoid that I replaced last fall has failed. Getting a new one for free since there is a one year warranty on the part. Replacing it when it comes in tomorrow. It COULD have failed prematurely from loose carbon coming from the old canister. At least the new canister will ensure that scenario should not happen (again).

Me: 1, CEL: 0
Old 12-03-2022, 11:44 PM
Franklin Hu
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same p1441 problem that would cause the light to turn on every couple of weeks and then I'd have to reset it. This code simply means that the evap purge valve isn't working, it is stuck in the open position. The valve was filled with charcoal so I replaced it. You can tell by tapping it and stuff starts coming out. It worked for a while, but then got jammed up again. So, then I cleaned the purge value, but this time I put a big clear garden tractor fuel filter in the line that comes from the evap canister. Just look for the big line that is coming out of the purge valve and heading towards the back of the engine. I used:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...er/pri0/702323

Now that is filling up with charcoal, but it isn't killing my purge valve anymore. It is a simple fix to cut the line and directly insert the filter. No more p1441. But then the O2 sensor code came up ... that is a story for another time!

Get notified of new replies

To Code P1441 - '96 LT4

Quick Reply: Code P1441 - '96 LT4