C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Intake Manifold Gasket failed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 09:07 AM
jwatt288
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Manifold Gasket failed?

I have a 1990 / L98 Coupe
After the engine has been running for a while there is smoke coming from underneath the car. Smells like oil. I suspect dripping on the exhaust pipe.
After running and the car is in the garage, there is a smell of coolant, but I do not see any leaks. I do not seem to lose any coolant. Small amount of steam/very ligh smoke coming from distributor area.The car always runs at 160 due to a previous owner installing a performance chip.
I don't know it is related, but I have small drips of transmission fluid on the garage floor.
My guess is that the intake manifold seal/gasket is bad and needs to be replaced. My only concern is the real problem intake seal, main seal, etc.
Does this sound like I am on the right track and how can I be reasonably sure which is the problem?
Thanks for your help!!
Old 09-06-2011, 10:12 AM
stoydido
Instructor

Originally Posted by jwatt288
I have a 1990 / L98 Coupe
After the engine has been running for a while there is smoke coming from underneath the car. Smells like oil. I suspect dripping on the exhaust pipe.
After running and the car is in the garage, there is a smell of coolant, but I do not see any leaks. I do not seem to lose any coolant. Small amount of steam/very ligh smoke coming from distributor area.The car always runs at 160 due to a previous owner installing a performance chip.
I don't know it is related, but I have small drips of transmission fluid on the garage floor.
My guess is that the intake manifold seal/gasket is bad and needs to be replaced. My only concern is the real problem intake seal, main seal, etc.
Does this sound like I am on the right track and how can I be reasonably sure which is the problem?
Thanks for your help!!
oils and coolant odors sounds like intake gaskets. I have heard that you can retorgue intake bolts to spec -or close- 35 ft lbs, and can solve the coolant leakage. if yours are not nociceably loose that prob won't work. esp center bolts. these are sealing gaskets and don't blow out.

valve gaskets, oil senders -2- and the tee, also dist gasket can all leak. if it is burning you can trace it pretty easy before making a major repair.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:18 AM
jwatt288
2nd Gear

Default Oil / Coolant leak

Originally Posted by stoydido
oils and coolant odors sounds like intake gaskets. I have heard that you can retorgue intake bolts to spec -or close- 35 ft lbs, and can solve the coolant leakage. if yours are not nociceably loose that prob won't work. esp center bolts. these are sealing gaskets and don't blow out.

valve gaskets, oil senders -2- and the tee, also dist gasket can all leak. if it is burning you can trace it pretty easy before making a major repair.
Thanks for your response! Anyone else have asimilar experience?

Thanks to all!!
Old 09-06-2011, 12:19 PM
myfunz
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I have an '89 with a small leak at a manifold bolt by the drivers side fire wall. It pools on top of the intake manifold, to tight for a wrench.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:17 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

I don't know if it still existed in the '90 cars, but on my '86 there is a small tube and hose that goes from the heater bypass valve over to the back of the intake manifold near the distributor (passenger side). On my car the hose developed a pinhole leak that would only happen when the car was hot.

Get notified of new replies

To Intake Manifold Gasket failed?

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold Gasket failed?