C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Fuel Line disconnect pic

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 06:02 PM
Spiller
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Line disconnect pic

Would like to replace my old fuel filter. Anyone know what size fuel disconnect tool do I need ?

Old 09-06-2011, 06:41 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I believe your fuel filter is below by the passenger side fender panel. No need to disconnect the line you had indicated. Sears, Autozone, etc. or has the disconnect tool you are looking for.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:02 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The filter is attached to the passenger side frame rail near the bellhousing. No reason to disconnect either line.

To release pressure, you can remove the fuel pump fuse and start the engine. Let it idle until it dies or release the pressure at the Schrader valve on the fuel rail using a fuel pressure gauge. It helps to have a nearly empty gas tank or raise the front of the car as high as possible to reduce any leakage once you remove the old filter.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:45 PM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
The filter is attached to the passenger side frame rail near the bellhousing. No reason to disconnect either line.
Except it's near impossible to undo the nut at the front of the fuel filter in the confined space (at least it was for me). Hence the reason to disconnect the line at the intake location & remove the filter & line from the car to do the filter swap.

To the OP, the disconnect tools are usually sold in a pack of 6. I use a set similar to these. I'm not use what size I used for the fuel line.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:20 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Did GM change the way the fuel filter is attached to the fuel lines? On my car I need flare nut wrenches to get it off.

Take the gas cap off to relieve pressure in the tank. When you disconnect the filter, gas will be siphoned out of the tank.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:36 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

to answer the OP's original question -

Originally Posted by Spiller
Would like to replace my old fuel filter. Anyone know what size fuel disconnect tool do I need ?

- on the LT1, the supply line disconnect is a 3/8" and the return line is 5/16". sometimes when you ask "what time is it?", people will tell you how to build a clock -

Originally Posted by RUU
Except it's near impossible to undo the nut at the front of the fuel filter in the confined space (at least it was for me). Hence the reason to disconnect the line at the intake location & remove the filter & line from the car to do the filter swap.

To the OP, the disconnect tools are usually sold in a pack of 6. I use a set similar to these. I'm not use what size I used for the fuel line.
- when i replaced the filter on my 96, i was able to get to the fuel filter inlet fitting without much trouble, but i had to disconnect the fuel line at the fuel rail, and drop the filter down and back enough to get to the downstream side fittings. on an LT1, i can't see any way to replace the filter without disconnecting the fuel line at the rail. on an L98 car, you can access both sides of the filter from under the car. this is the set i bought - reasonable price and worked like a champ -

Last edited by Joe C; 09-07-2011 at 06:02 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:25 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

now that the OP's question has been answered, here's something that's a little OT, and somewhat humorous. a friend of mine took has 95 in to a local chevy dealer to have the fuel filter replaced. they quoted him about $75 (parts and labor) - not a bad price if you don't want to fool with it. i'm not sure of the thought process of the mechanic, but when they couldn't break loose the filter's fittings, they proceeded to drop the RH exhaust pipe/cat assembly (WTF - ) well, when they attempted to do that, they broke one of the studs on the exhaust manifold . they ended up drilling out and re-tapping for a new stud. what started out to be a one hour job ended up taking all day. when my friend went to pick up his car, they cried and whined about all the problems, and had to charge him more. they settled for $125 -
Old 09-07-2011, 10:54 PM
Spiller
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
to answer the OP's original question -

- on the LT1, the supply line disconnect is a 3/8" and the return line is 5/16". sometimes when you ask "what time is it?", people will tell you how to build a clock -
Thank you sir I was anticipating the same problem you had vary hard to get access to the top nut figured it would be alot easier to just take off the bottom nut then, then disconnect the line to the fuel rail then pull or drop the fuel filter out.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Line disconnect pic

Quick Reply: Fuel Line disconnect pic