C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Fuel Pump Replacement 1990 C4

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 12:03 AM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Fuel Pump Replacement 1990 C4

Team,
believe I have a fuel pump going bad. Searched the fourms and didn't see anything on removal and replacement of the fuel pump. Looking at the Haynes manual other than risking body work paint, it doesn't look like that hard of a job, just a lot of small parts to pull. To be honest I am not the worlds most talented mechanick, and my tool sets are limited.
Anyone have any experience doing this job? Is it do it yourself friendly? Are there any significant risks (besides working with flamable liquid) like wires, hoeses, replacement gaskets they don't show, etc.?

If anyone has a link to a discussion or images on the R&R that I missed posting it would be appreciated.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:20 AM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Its a very simple task replacing the in tank fuel pump on a C4.

Has to be one of the most pleasurable EFI cars ever to change a fuel pump on.

FSM is a good guideline.

Hayes is OK too.

Start by removing the 4 T-15 torx screws holding the rear gas door to the body tub.

Then remove the Black hard rubber rain water filler piece.

Then have full access to the 9 screws/ small bolts holding down the fuel pump sending unit to the top of the gas tank.

Once this far,
changing out the fuel pump is very simple.

Any questions,
keep asking then & I will answer & others will too.

Brian
Old 09-16-2011, 12:34 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Honestly this one is not that hard to do, and alright for a beginner to try. Looks harder than it is with such a small working area.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:17 AM
yedister
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by grantar2
Team,
believe I have a fuel pump going bad. Searched the fourms and didn't see anything on removal and replacement of the fuel pump. Looking at the Haynes manual other than risking body work paint, it doesn't look like that hard of a job, just a lot of small parts to pull. To be honest I am not the worlds most talented mechanick, and my tool sets are limited.
Anyone have any experience doing this job? Is it do it yourself friendly? Are there any significant risks (besides working with flamable liquid) like wires, hoeses, replacement gaskets they don't show, etc.?

If anyone has a link to a discussion or images on the R&R that I missed posting it would be appreciated.
Here you go

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...cs-inside.html

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=152702
Old 09-16-2011, 11:44 AM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Walbro upgrade kit with adapters would be complete and easy for a beginner. Racetronix has the kit. Click on vendor in add column to the left.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:48 PM
Racetronix
Supporting Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BADDUCK
The Walbro upgrade kit with adapters would be complete and easy for a beginner. Racetronix has the kit. Click on vendor in add column to the left.
C43 Fuel Pump Assembly - Performance
FPA-009H - 1984-1985 C4 Corvette Fuel Pump Assembly - Performance 255LPH

C469 Fuel Pump Assembly - Performance
FPA-011H - 1986-1989 C4 Corvette Fuel Pump Assembly - Performance 255LPH ...

C44 Fuel Pump Assembly - Performance
FPA-010H - 1990-1996 C4 Corvette Fuel Pump Assembly - Performance 255LPH ...

Old 09-16-2011, 02:27 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

thanks team, yedister really appreciate the links. Was a little worried about the Racetronix pump after one post that I had read on it, although they seemed to respond well. Do like that it comes with a new gasket and bolts, but the big sales point was the included filter. Went ahead and ordered one. Hope it either arrives early enough next week that I can install / have installed before my autocross next weekend, or the existing pump continues to work.

Now on to the starter.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:31 AM
jsinga
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you really have a fuel pump porblem don't leave home without your phone and AAA card!
When mine went out it didn't last 2 miles after the first sputter...

The vette is one of the few cars the tank doesn't have to come out to change the fuel pump. I bet the wiring upgrade with the Racetronix kit will take a lot longer than the fuel pump.

Js
Old 09-17-2011, 01:03 PM
Racetronix
Supporting Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jsinga
The vette is one of the few cars the tank doesn't have to come out to change the fuel pump.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:51 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jsinga
If you really have a fuel pump porblem don't leave home without your phone and AAA card!
When mine went out it didn't last 2 miles after the first sputter...

The vette is one of the few cars the tank doesn't have to come out to change the fuel pump. I bet the wiring upgrade with the Racetronix kit will take a lot longer than the fuel pump.

Js
Mine has a situation a couple of times now were it won't start despite the starter (which is a problem hot) cranking. Rolling the car back so it is nose down seems to help, in all 4 cases it was like vapor lock. Injectors are recent so they aren't the problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Pump Replacement 1990 C4

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Replacement 1990 C4