C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

L98 coil and ignition module

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 01:18 PM
harrisr
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L98 coil and ignition module

What is the story on aftermarket replacement ignition coils mounted on the distributor cap and also the module inside the distributor? Had the job of replaceing both on a c3 which was easy and cheap. C4 has a different module after 1986 . Are MSD or Hypertech OK?
Old 09-16-2011, 01:29 PM
powerpigz-51
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I replaced mine with a Jegs icm and a Hypertech coil. The car runs better, but my digital tach will not rev over 2k. I have a small analog tach that works.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:34 PM
stoydido
Instructor

Originally Posted by harrisr
What is the story on aftermarket replacement ignition coils mounted on the distributor cap and also the module inside the distributor? Had the job of replaceing both on a c3 which was easy and cheap. C4 has a different module after 1986 . Are MSD or Hypertech OK?
no experience other than with stock replacement items. I advise anyone replacing to be sure coil is failed, per Haynes or fsm instructions. icm is a $20 item most places. pickup coil also. autozone or advance have them cheap. buy the major brand names and that is what you get -plus an attractive label.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:48 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

As far as I'm concerned, whatever is available at any of the Discounters is fine. Considering what the Module does, there's no performance gain to be had via the aftermarket - or if you're looking for that; you'll need to upgrade to a coil on plug system (I think this month's Car Craft or Hot Rod has a pretty good write-up). What isn't fine is using dielectric grease for the heat sink. You want the stuff that comes with the Module or it will fail within short order.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:29 PM
vettestar c4
Navigator

I replaced my entire distributor with a D.U.I. (davis unified ignition) computer advance distributor for my 1986 L98. It came with new coil, module etc.... WOW! what a difference. Easy to install, completely stock appearance and fit. Check this out as an option to individual component replacement. At the other end I used NGK iridium ix plugs. Huge overall difference in the ignition of the vehicle.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:21 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by vettestar c4
I replaced my entire distributor with a D.U.I. (davis unified ignition) computer advance distributor for my 1986 L98. It came with new coil, module etc.... WOW! what a difference. Easy to install, completely stock appearance and fit. Check this out as an option to individual component replacement. At the other end I used NGK iridium ix plugs. Huge overall difference in the ignition of the vehicle.
spend your money on this one, it actually works with a difference you can tell
Old 09-17-2011, 05:36 PM
navy_vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
spend your money on this one, it actually works with a difference you can tell
For under 300 bucks you really can't go wrong either. Looks like I know what next month's "Corvette fund" is going towards!

Get notified of new replies

To L98 coil and ignition module

Quick Reply: L98 coil and ignition module