C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

VATS problem, please help

Old 05-26-2015, 02:09 PM
Decat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VATS problem, please help

So I had problems with my Vats not allowing startup just like many of us. So I took the ECU out and had PCMforLESS tune it for the new mods and turn all Vats off. I got it back and everything seemed to be fine for the first few weeks, and then it started randomly not starting again because of the steady on security light. Called PCMforLESS and they confirmed that all Vats is turned off on my ECU now, he said that it might be a bad ground now?

It rained a lot here yesterday in Houston, and now the Vette will not start due to the steady on Security light from Vats. Can someone please provide a link to the ground points so I can eliminate that as a potential cause for this problem? Also any other ideas would be appreciated. I thought turning off the Vats would fix this problem, I cannot believe I am still having problems with this.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:20 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Decat
So I had problems with my Vats not allowing startup just like many of us. So I took the ECU out and had PCMforLESS tune it for the new mods and turn all Vats off. I got it back and everything seemed to be fine for the first few weeks, and then it started randomly not starting again because of the steady on security light. Called PCMforLESS and they confirmed that all Vats is turned off on my ECU now, he said that it might be a bad ground now?

It rained a lot here yesterday in Houston, and now the Vette will not start due to the steady on Security light from Vats. Can someone please provide a link to the ground points so I can eliminate that as a potential cause for this problem? Also any other ideas would be appreciated. I thought turning off the Vats would fix this problem, I cannot believe I am still having problems with this.
Try your other key and look at the ground in front of the driver door under the carpet. also try unlocking your door with the key
Old 05-26-2015, 03:12 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Not sure on your 94, but my 86 security light has nothing to do with VATS, just the forced entry alarm.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:19 PM
Decat
Advanced

If the security light is steady on Vats has taken over and will not let the engine start. This is what is happening to my Vetter about 50% of the time. Having the PCM reprogrammed to ignore Vats I am very confused as to why I am still not able to start the car. As of now the Vette is stranding on my driveway until I hear some useful info here.

So the ground under the driver's carpet? Do I need to remove the seat? Is it on the firewall or under where your feet are or on the side where the speaker is? Where are the other potential grounds? This is really frustrating I thought having the PCM reprogrammed would get rid of this problem.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:36 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

If the security light is steady on Vats has taken over and will not let the engine start. This is what is happening to my Vetter about 50% of the time. Having the PCM reprogrammed to ignore Vats I am very confused as to why I am still not able to start the car.
Because the majority of "VATS" is in the BCM, not the ECM. If your key's resistance isn't getting to the BCM due to contacts or wires in the tumbler, then the car won't crank. It may run if you roll start it though.

Diagnose the actual problem and fix it. I'd start my checking my resistance though the key, at the two pin connector at the bottom of the column. Should be a purple wire w/a white trace (IIRC) and maybe a black wire? Been a while.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:41 PM
Hooked on Vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

If the security light is steady on Vats has taken over and will not let the engine start. This is what is happening to my Vetter about 50% of the time. Having the PCM reprogrammed to ignore Vats I am very confused as to why I am still not able to start the car. As of now the Vette is stranding on my driveway until I hear some useful info here.

So the ground under the driver's carpet? Do I need to remove the seat? Is it on the firewall or under where your feet are or on the side where the speaker is? Where are the other potential grounds? This is really frustrating I thought having the PCM reprogrammed would get rid of this problem.
You need to enable the Starter Theft Deterrent relay.
It's located under the driver side dash.
Remove the carpeted panel you will then see a metal panel which needs to be removed.

Along the front edge of the dash will be a bunch or relays.
The starter enable relay will have a the following wires at the relay socket. Large gauge Yellow wire a Large gauge Purple wire, small gauge Yellow wire and a small gauge Yellow/Black wire.

You need to ground the small gauge Yellow/Black wire.
This will manually enable the starter relay. Normally the CCM grounds this wire.

If after grounding the Yellow/Black wire the starter doesn't engage
the relay could be bad so swap it with another one. All the relays in that area are all the same.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:59 PM
Decat
Advanced

Thanks so much HookedOnVettes, I have actually taken that out to look at it before, but never knew what to do with it. I will try this tomorrow, thanks so much!
Old 05-26-2015, 07:52 PM
Decat
Advanced

Alright I took the yellow and black wire out of the relay connector and ran it straight to a nut on the metal bracket on the steering column, then I reinstalled the really into the harness without the yellow and black wire attached. Is that correct or do I need to just splice into the yellow and black wire and then run that spliced wire to a ground?

I will try splicing in later tonight because removing the yellow black wire and grounding it did not work, or I need to get another relay?
Old 05-26-2015, 08:06 PM
Decat
Advanced

That fixed it. Just spliced into that Yellow/Black wire and ran the spliced wire to a nut on the steering column mount.

THANK YOU!!!!!
Old 05-26-2015, 08:12 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

That likely means that your CCM isn't reading your key. Why don't you fix that?
Old 05-27-2015, 05:04 AM
Decat
Advanced

Because a "fix" still doesn't guarantee that I don't get stranded by the problematic, inconsistent and sensitive Vats. This over rides the Vats so I don't have to worry about to troublesome Vats system again. I have had all kinds of problems with the Vats ever since I got the C4, I am so happy to have that problem fixed.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:19 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Because a "fix" still doesn't guarantee that I don't get stranded by the problematic, inconsistent and sensitive Vats. This over rides the Vats so I don't have to worry about to troublesome Vats system again. I have had all kinds of problems with the Vats ever since I got the C4, I am so happy to have that problem fixed.
Good job
Old 05-29-2015, 10:05 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

the problematic, inconsistent and sensitive troublesome Vats system I have had all kinds of problems with the Vats
Interesting. My car has over 150k miles and I've never had a problem with it. I certainly wouldn't call it problematic, inconsistent and sensitive troublesome ....but that's just me, I guess.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:03 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Interesting. My car has over 150k miles and I've never had a problem with it. I certainly wouldn't call it problematic, inconsistent and sensitive troublesome ....but that's just me, I guess.
Consider yourself lucky Tom...There are 3 other guys with C4s that I get together with once in awhile, and all 3 have had Vats issues... I had such a problem with mine that I eliminated the vats completely from my car.....Once you have been left stranded a few times, you may get a completely different opinion about Vats.....WW
Old 06-11-2015, 09:22 AM
ssv1761982
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will this 'fix' work on an '86 too? Mine is unpredictable.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:29 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by ssv1761982
Will this 'fix' work on an '86 too? Mine is unpredictable.
Have you tried a new key worked for me.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:35 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,499 Likes on 3,586 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I think we all had this problem, I herd people say take eraser to the pellet, cleans it and makes for better contact.
What I finally did was replace the ignitions switch, there seems while back they had TSB for that, and not recall.
Once I had it done 20 years ago I never had problem with it, or the person that has my C4 has never complained of starting problem.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:47 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1bdvet
I think we all had this problem, I herd people say take eraser to the pellet, cleans it and makes for better contact.
What I finally did was replace the ignitions switch, there seems while back they had TSB for that, and not recall.
Once I had it done 20 years ago I never had problem with it, or the person that has my C4 has never complained of starting problem.
that was a good quik fix but did not last.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:54 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,499 Likes on 3,586 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
that was a good quik fix but did not last.
When I had the dealership replace ignition cylinder decades backn bever had the problem again, and the person I sold the car to 6 years ago hasn't any problems.
I guess I was lucky, what can I tell you.

Get notified of new replies

To VATS problem, please help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VATS problem, please help