C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Cruise Control Clutch Switch Adjustment, How?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Akcelr8 N VA
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Cruise Control Clutch Switch Adjustment, How?

My '92 cruise control quit working after I replaced my Clutch master cylinder so I checked the forum and found the Brake/Clutch switch check and sure enough it was the clutch pedal cruise control switch that needs adjusting. My question is how? This article shows how to adjust the switch on the brake pedal but not on the clutch pedal.
http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_10...air/index.html

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ralph
Old 09-23-2011, 08:04 AM
Akcelr8 N VA
Racer

No one has an answer on this? Am I the first needing this adjustment? I'll do some google searches and see if I can find something and I'll post the results here. In the meanwhile, any help would be greatly appreciated

Ralph
Old 09-23-2011, 07:02 PM
Akcelr8 N VA
Racer

Old 09-23-2011, 07:08 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

need more info

Does it engage but the miles drop after you set it up?

Does it turn on at all?

Are the vacuum hoses connected? Is the diafram broken?

Is the "TV cable" connected?
Old 09-24-2011, 09:14 AM
Akcelr8 N VA
Racer

PLRX, I know the Cruise Control problem, it's the switch on the clutch pedal. When I drive and use my foot to lift up on the pedal the cruise control will engage. My question is how do you adjust the switch? Thanks for responding...

Last edited by Akcelr8 N VA; 09-24-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Hooked on Vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

If you look at the plunger end of the switch you'll see it has many rings around it like a thread on a bolt. If you physically move (pull on or push on) the switch, the rings move in or out of the switch retainer. You hear a clicking noise as the rings are moved through the switch retainer.

To adjust the switch.

Hold clutch pedal fully rearward against pedal stop and push the switch into the retainer until stopped by the clutch pedal and audible click sound stops.

Since you installed a new clutch master cylinder, when the clutch pedal is fully released and you manually try and pull upward on the pedal, there should be no play. If there is, something is not allowing the pedal to fully retract which could be causing your switch adjustment problem.

Because you do have some play when the clutch pedal is fully released, you can adjust the switch by holding the clutch pedal away from the switch. Push the switch inward till the clicking stops. Slowly release the pedal and as the pedal is pulled towards the switch it will push the switch back out of the retainer and adjust the switch to the proper position.

Last edited by Hooked on Vettes; 09-24-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:00 PM
Akcelr8 N VA
Racer

Thanks for your very clear assistance!! I adjusted the switch following your guidance and viola, I now have working cruise control. I'm sure that it was either knocked out of position (it was just barely in the retaining ring) either when I was replacing the master cylinder and removing/installing the master cylinder actuating rod, or when my wife was pumping the clutch pedal when we were bleeding the slave cylinder... probably the former. Anyway, thanks again for the help. BTW, if you don't want to climb under the dash to do this (I don't because I get vertigo when I twist myself into a pretzel) try using a mirror. I used my wife's hand-held vanity mirror, and no, I didn't ask her... better to beg for forgiveness if she caught me!!) and could do everything by leaning in front of the seat. Thanks again.

Ralph
Old 12-04-2011, 08:59 AM
BossV8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I have the same problem on my C5. My now shorter clutch pedal doesn't close the switch so the cruise control doesn't engage.

I can't find out how to make the "ring" part longer. It is, like ... 1 cm on my car.

Thanks for your help.

Get notified of new replies

To Cruise Control Clutch Switch Adjustment, How?

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Clutch Switch Adjustment, How?