C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 convertible key stuck

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 04:15 PM
needhamboy
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default C4 convertible key stuck

My ignition key gets stuck and I can't remove it because it will not return to the remove key position everyother time I start and stop my car. Any suggestions? key switch or shifter in park problem?
Old 09-27-2011, 04:27 PM
navy_vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Auto?

Have you tried hitting the shifter a couple of times? Sounds stupid, but the safety module in there is a known issue. I don't know if it controls the key release, but it makes sense. Also, I would guess that it's a physical connection since it works when the battery is disconnected.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:44 PM
1963SS
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry Navy, it doesn't work backwards. It's just a solenoid that sometimes sticks and won't let your car go into gear. Mine was doing that and I figured out how to fix it. It doesn't stick any more. It's now a TCC solenoid. See pic

Old 09-27-2011, 05:49 PM
navy_vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1963SS
Sorry Navy, it doesn't work backwards. It's just a solenoid that sometimes sticks and won't let your car go into gear. Mine was doing that and I figured out how to fix it. It doesn't stick any more. It's now a TCC solenoid. See pic
Something new every day I guess. I'll keep this in mind. It seems like it would be something that will eventually go wrong.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:05 PM
needhamboy
Instructor

Thanks Navy, It didn't sound so stupid when I hit the shifter once and the button on top of the shifter popped up and the key move to the lower position and came out. The problem seems to be my shifter button not coming all the way to the out position. Sometimes it pops up all the way when i shift to park and then the key moves to remove position. When I shift to park and the button doesn't come all the way up, the key will not go to remove positon and is therefore stuck in the ignition. The problem is the button on top of the shifter is getting stuck in the somewhat down position. What is the fix for this? I hate to depend on slaming the shifter to pop the button to get the key out. I can't take my beautiful new to me 1996 convertible anywhere I have to leave it because I might not be able to get the key out!!!!!
Old 09-27-2011, 11:11 PM
needhamboy
Instructor

Navy,What are the safety module issues you spoke of in the shifter assembly ? Can I replace this module?
Old 09-27-2011, 11:14 PM
needhamboy
Instructor

1966SS, what is a TCC solenoid that you spoke about concerning my key removal problem?
Old 09-28-2011, 06:52 AM
needhamboy
Instructor

Shifter button sticking problem....Other sources suggest the solenoid is no longer available so I have to replace the entire shifter assembly?????? Dealer said it will cost around $300 for parts and $200 labor. Sounds expensive for a small solenoid sticking issue. I should be able to take this apart and replace the solenoid myself. Anybody have a solution?
Old 09-28-2011, 08:38 AM
1963SS
Drifting

Hi and sorry about the TCC solenoid remark. That was a joke. I put the solenoid on my torque converter to take a pic of it. The TCC solenoid is the torque converter clutch located inside the transmission.

What I did to fix mine was remove the center console and just pop the solenoid off the two studs that it sits on. I got rid of it completely. It just keeps the car in park until you turn the key on an is a safety feature I've never needed. I know when to put my car in gear.

If you decide to go into the center console to find the problem just pop off the center cap that you push on to get it in gear. Then you'll need a small pair of snap ring pliers (Straight tip) to remove the snap ring and the shifter **** will slide right off. You will see the solenoid that I put in the above pic between the shifter and your right knee. It just pops off two ball studs. Good luck.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:47 PM
needhamboy
Instructor

1963ss, Thanks for the plan. I'm not sure I want to modify the shifter by taking the solenoid out. Still looking for a replacement! Maybe I'll get tired of looking and remove. Not just yet. Thanks for replying.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:21 AM
needhamboy
Instructor

Shifter assembly removal....after I remove the shifter **** cap, snap ring and ****, how do I get the vinyl boot off to remove the shifter assembly? The assembly is looks like it's held in place by 4 bolts which appear to be under the boot outer plate.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:23 AM
1963SS
Drifting

After you get the screws in the rear removed, the front has two tabs that slide into holes on the piece that holds the radio. Remove the 2 rear screws, pull console toward the rear of the car and lift up. As it's removed carefully reach under and remove any wires that may have you held up.

Oh wait, just reread your post. If you're trying to get the boot off it won't work. You have to remove the console piece that the boot attaches to. Then the boot and console will just slide over the top of the shifter.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:55 AM
needhamboy
Instructor

1963SS, Thanks for the help.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:32 AM
Fatbloke-Dim
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My ' 93 is the same . Drove me round the bloody twist it did !! Just jiggle the shifter back and forth 'till it clicks , or as you probably found out by now , the button pops up on the shifter .
Too easy ,eh ?

Last edited by Fatbloke-Dim; 10-01-2011 at 02:33 PM. Reason: bad spelling . Dunce's hat will be worn !!
Old 10-01-2011, 09:05 AM
needhamboy
Instructor

Fatbloke-dim, Yes, however, I have located a used shifter assembly on ebay which includes a solenoid. I'm only replacing the solenoid. Let's hope it works. Stay tuned. I also purchase a new lighter socket which I hope to install when I remove the console. Stay tuned.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:49 AM
needhamboy
Instructor

Regarding key stuck, I took my center console apart Saturday. I removed the solenoid and tested it buy pushing the brake pedal and it works perfectly fine. The shifter button is slow in coming out and needs prompting by slapping it as suggested. I sprayed the entire shifting mechanism with WD-40 and worked it back and forth, I then reinstalled the solenoid. Now everything works great. No slapping required. I would suggest and anyone with a stuck shifter button, simply remove the shifter button and spray WD-40 into the post while leaving the **** in place. Work the shifter back and forth and it might just free up the mechanism that holds the button down (that is if the solenoid is still good). Good Luck. Thanks for all the help. I just saved $500 by doing it myself.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:53 AM
needhamboy
Instructor

1963SS, Thanks for your help.One other note about removing the center console. Besides the two screws in the back, there is also one screw under the front cup holder. Remove the rubber cup seat and you will see the screw.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 convertible key stuck

Old 10-03-2011, 10:56 AM
1963SS
Drifting

I knew you'd find that screw. That was a test. You passed. Or.....I had a brain fart. You decide. Congratulations on the money savings. Now go out and buy something for the car for $500 and tell the wifey it's OK. You've already saved that much.

Drove me round the bloody twist it did !!
Let me guess........you're from over there, aren't you. I speak a modified version of English called "Appalachian American" and I don't know what the heck that even means. "Drove me around the bloody twist it did !!" Could you please translate. I can understand the guy from Panama better than the Limey.

Last edited by 1963SS; 10-03-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:39 AM
Fatbloke-Dim
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Two nations , seperated by a common language !! Ain't that the truth .
All it means is it drove me nuts . Round the bend . Too easy , Bro ! At least that feeling is common to all and understood too well with modern ' Vette ownership . Such is life .
Old 10-04-2011, 10:11 AM
needhamboy
Instructor

Key stuck-----Now that my shifter works and I know how to dismantle the center console, how do I get the cigarette lighter out of the plastic center console once I have the piece in my hands. I have disconnected the wires and have the plastic assembly in my shop but can't figure out how to separate it from the plastic console. I have a new lighter assembly coming from Ecklers.

Quick Reply: C4 convertible key stuck