C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1994 cooling fan switch install need help

Old 09-28-2011, 06:45 AM
donkeydawn11
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1994 cooling fan switch install need help

I would like to reduce the cooling temps on my c4

I purchased a temp switch a little while ago but havent been able to get it to wk due to the instructions it came with. I didn't put it in the plug whole like the directions stated because I couldnt find anything that would fit the plug to take it out. I took out my temp sensor and placed it in that location.

The directions indicates for 1994 that one of the relays have 4 wires and the other has 5 it further tells you to splice the dark green wire from the new harness to the dark green wire at the primary relay then splice the dark blue wire from the new fan switch to the secondary relay with the dark blue wire. then it states there will be no wires spliced to the 5 wire relay.

I must be missing something could u please clarify what wires go to what both my relays have only 4 wires

Please what ever help you can provide and any photos please my temps are 225 and would like to see then lowered for next summer
The following users liked this post:
Bobvonryan (05-08-2016)
Old 09-28-2011, 09:08 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by donkeydawn11
it tells you to splice the dark green wire from the new harness to the dark green wire at the primary relay
then splice the dark blue wire from the new fan switch to the secondary relay with the dark blue wire.
Who's kit?
Sounds like crappy instructions.

I would wire up the Pri fan and see how you like the temp the engine runs at with that only, before adding the Sec fan.
If Pri fan is kicking in earlier than 225 you may not need Sec fan to run?

then it states there will be no wires spliced to the 5 wire relay.
I must be missing something ..both my relays have only 4 wires
May be they are confused with later cars that have 3 fan relays

my temps are 225 and would like to see then lowered for next summer
225 is the normal setting for LT1's

Last edited by rodj; 09-28-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:58 AM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

I grounded the two fan relays together and it cools down real fast. It had an 180 aftermarket temp switch on it when I got it but the fans were on all the time so it was disconnected.

Last edited by kimmer; 09-28-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:14 AM
donkeydawn11
Instructor

Default fan wiring

Ok that sounds good if I wire the prim fan I have a green and blue wire coming from the new temp switch which wire goes to what wire on the prim relay

Also will the temp switch be ok in the place of where the temp sensor was ?
Old 09-28-2011, 10:32 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Rodj is basically correct. The 94 uses 2 relays and 95-96 uses the 3 relay system.

Hears how I did it. Here are some older pictures and the drawing for the wiring. There is no need to connect to the drivers side fan since it comes on with the A/C anyway.

Name:  P1020034.jpg
Views: 6680
Size:  45.4 KB
*** Use #473 wire

Name:  P1020037.jpg
Views: 7664
Size:  49.7 KB
*** Relay wire connection shown

Name:  P1020036.jpg
Views: 4864
Size:  47.8 KB
*** Ground wire and relay wire connection shown

Connect one wire from the switch to the dark blue wire #473. No need to cut wire, just skin back insulation and wrap around. This wire has 12 volts on it and is the return or low side of the relay coil. The other terminal of the relay coil has the 12 volts supplied from the fuse. The other wire from the switch goes to ground.

When the switch is closed, the coil of the relay will be energized and close the relay contacts starting the fan. This is the same process that the PCM does by grounding the #473 wire.

I elected to run the ground lead to a convenient point under the hood near the fan relay. I ran my wires into the car and hid it under the speaker enclosure to under the seat where all I have to do is to reach down and flip the switch on or off. Works great, been doing it for years.

Any kind of toggle switch will work and I used an encapsulated wire, 2 wires in one cable.
Best of luck.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:34 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Also will the temp switch be ok in the place of where the temp sensor was ?
If you are replacing the temp sensor in the passenger side head, yes it will be ok but the analog temp gauge will not function. You may also get a "SES" light.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:13 AM
donkeydawn11
Instructor

Default switch wiring

Thanks u so much for the pics and the fast response

Ok so the temp switch that I have coming from the spot on my passg side cylinder wall has 2 wires blue and green I take the blue wire and hook it up to the blue wire on the secondary fan relay. The other green wire goes to ground right

The switch directions you posted were for wiring a cockpit manual switch but the temp switch I have should work wired in that way correct?
Old 09-29-2011, 10:34 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Thanks u so much for the pics and the fast response

Ok so the temp switch that I have coming from the spot on my passg side cylinder wall has 2 wires blue and green I take the blue wire and hook it up to the blue wire on the secondary fan relay. The other green wire goes to ground right

The switch directions you posted were for wiring a cockpit manual switch but the temp switch I have should work wired in that way correct?
Yes, my directions are for a manual fan switch for the secondary fan.

I am not familiar with the kit you have. I do not know the object of the kit but it sounds like they are putting in a temperature controlled switch in the block to control the primary and secondary fan. If that is true, what is the on and off points for the fan?

As I said, the primary fan goes on with the A/C. There's no need to control the fan with another switch assembly. If it is hot enough outside to run the A/C, then the primary fan is running. If it is cool outside, you don’t always need ice cold air. Just run the temp control up to warm up the air on low fan speed.

What is it that you want to accomplish. You bought this kit for a reason, what was the selling points?

If you go with this kit, know what the specs are and what it's going to do. I can't comment on an aftermarket kit that I have not had in my hand or seen the instructions for myself. It may have different configurations for different years and at this point I can't tell you if what you are doing is right or wrong. I would hate to see you cause a problem with the PCM. Now that would be bad day.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:03 AM
donkeydawn11
Instructor

I just got my engine rebuilt I dont like the high temps it runs in the summer time so I want to lower them down here is the kit im trying to install

Corvette Low Temperature Cooling Fan Kit, 200º, GMP, 1984-1995
•Lowers Engine Coolant Temperature

•Maximizes Engine Performance

The stock C4 Corvette cooling system runs inherently hot. GMP has the solution to this annoying problem. GMP offers a electric cooling fan switch, The switch will turn on the main fan, auxiliary fan or both at a lower temperature. Lower coolant tempeartures will maximize engine performance and reduce engine wear. Each kit comes complete with switch, harness, hardware and instruction sheet for easy installation.

P/N 40290 & 40416 switches are recommended for stock applications.

This switch (P/N 40290) turns your electric fan on at 200 degrees +/- 5 degrees and automatically turns it off at 185 +/- 5 degrees.

Last edited by donkeydawn11; 10-03-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:24 AM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

This switch (P/N 40290) turns your electric fan on at 200 degrees +/- 5 degrees and automatically turns it off at 185 +/- 5 degrees.
With the stock 180* thermostat and this fan switch once the fan is activated it may run until the car is turned off. It is virtually impossible to cool the coolant temps to 185* with the stock stat.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:22 PM
donkeydawn11
Instructor

Ok if that is the case my fans would run all the time im ok with that would you be able then to tell me how to wire it only to the secondard fan
Old 10-03-2011, 09:15 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Ok if that is the case my fans would run all the time im ok with that would you be able then to tell me how to wire it only to the secondard fan
STL94LT1 has taken the words out of my mouth. After warm up in the winter I run at 193 when moving. It will eventually climb in traffic and then I turn on my secondary fan. In the summer I run at 197 for a while but when over 90* I'm 200- 210 and hotter in traffic if I don’t hit my secondary fan.

As said, with a normal 180 stat and stock radiator 185 is a pipe dream.

You would connect to wire 473 (blue) to control the secondary fan and bring that point to ground to start the fan. That would be either for a manual switch or a automatic switch system.

The problems with having the fans run all the time is that they run-all-the-time. It will cut down the life of your fans, how much…..who knows. I like the manual set up on the vette given the temperature situation. Other cars I don’t care because no temp problem.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:04 PM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pcolt94
Rodj is basically correct. The 94 uses 2 relays and 95-96 uses the 3 relay system.

Hears how I did it. Here are some older pictures and the drawing for the wiring. There is no need to connect to the drivers side fan since it comes on with the A/C anyway.

*** Use #473 wire

*** Relay wire connection shown

*** Ground wire and relay wire connection shown

Connect one wire from the switch to the dark blue wire #473. No need to cut wire, just skin back insulation and wrap around. This wire has 12 volts on it and is the return or low side of the relay coil. The other terminal of the relay coil has the 12 volts supplied from the fuse. The other wire from the switch goes to ground.

When the switch is closed, the coil of the relay will be energized and close the relay contacts starting the fan. This is the same process that the PCM does by grounding the #473 wire.

I elected to run the ground lead to a convenient point under the hood near the fan relay. I ran my wires into the car and hid it under the speaker enclosure to under the seat where all I have to do is to reach down and flip the switch on or off. Works great, been doing it for years.

Any kind of toggle switch will work and I used an encapsulated wire, 2 wires in one cable.
Best of luck.
Is the 93 and 94 model yrs the same.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:04 PM
corvetero
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Luweegy
Is the 93 and 94 model yrs the same.
I think so, I mean you have two relays in both them.

Get notified of new replies

To 1994 cooling fan switch install need help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1994 cooling fan switch install need help