Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C4 Tech/Performance
L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine Sponsored by
J&D Corvette

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 10-15-2011, 03:46 PM   #1
pikez35

stang0303 stang0303
Send a message via AIM to pikez35 Send a message via Yahoo to pikez35
Default Camshaft Identification

Is there anyway to identify a camshaft without having to remove the cam? I have a 93 LT1 with forged pistons and a cam I'm having a rich running condition which i think is due to stock ecu with the modifications i have. Would like to prevent to have to pull the cam but if thats the only option i'll guess I might have to any suggestions. If i have to pull the cam any good videos or how to's? I talked to the guy over at Corvette Connection and he suggested putting a stock cam back in saying that the LT1's and TPI's are sensitive to cams and getting them to run right is a challenge.
pikez35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
1963SS
Over 500HP Club
Support Corvetteforum!

With a dial indicator and a degree wheel you could tell the lift of your cam and the duration. That would probably be enough to get a base tune and correct your richness. You could get a cable for your Vette to hook it up to a laptop and data log what your engines doing. You could then e-mail this file to a tuner and he can burn you a chip that will work well. Another datalog and another program and you're real close.

The logging is a simple process and when you're finished you've still got the cable. You can use it to troubleshoot any future problems and it will come in handy.

That sounds like a lot less trouble than pulling your cam. Even if you pull the cam and if it's custom, there might be no numbers on it. I've seen it happen.
1963SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #3
jaa1992
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
James Anderson
Send a message via MSN to jaa1992

I'd just datalog it and see where its off and have one of the mail order tuners send me a new chip. Could take a couple of tries, but it will be much better than what you have.
jaa1992 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
pikez35

stang0303 stang0303

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963SS View Post
With a dial indicator and a degree wheel you could tell the lift of your cam and the duration. That would probably be enough to get a base tune and correct your richness. You could get a cable for your Vette to hook it up to a laptop and data log what your engines doing. You could then e-mail this file to a tuner and he can burn you a chip that will work well. Another datalog and another program and you're real close.

The logging is a simple process and when you're finished you've still got the cable. You can use it to troubleshoot any future problems and it will come in handy.

That sounds like a lot less trouble than pulling your cam. Even if you pull the cam and if it's custom, there might be no numbers on it. I've seen it happen.
Thanks, where could i get the stuff that you say i need. I was thinking of just taking it to West Bend Dyno about 2 hrs away and have them run and tune it. Would most tuners be able to tune it like you say here or is it still better just to get the stuff and do it myself with the mail in?
Old 10-15-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
1963SS
Over 500HP Club
Support Corvetteforum!

A tuner could fix it correctly the first try, probably. But if you intend to keep it, it will act up and the datalogger is a real neat troubleshooting aid. If you let someone use your car you will know how hard they pushed the pedal, how fast they went and when it happened. I got my son good one day. even for intermittent problems they're hard to beat. They show every sensor, what it told your ECM and when it told it. You'll know what gear you were in and if the transmission was slow to shift, you'll know why. They're just a really neat tool.

The cable can be purchased at "AKM Cables" for one. They're top notch and it'll be a OBD1 to USB cable. E-mail him and he'll tell you what you need. The datalogging program I like is TTS Datamaster. It's free for 20 logs. Each log lasts a long time. There are other free logging programs out there also. I don't know what tuners charge but I've got one I'll recommend. I've been tuned by most all of them and this guy's really thorough. I'll PM you his name because I don't know about forums, sponsors and such so a PM will be easier.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #6
pikez35

stang0303 stang0303

Quote:
A tuner could fix it correctly the first try, probably. But if you intend to keep it, it will act up and the datalogger is a real neat troubleshooting aid. If you let someone use your car you will know how hard they pushed the pedal, how fast they went and when it happened. I got my son good one day. even for intermittent problems they're hard to beat. They show every sensor, what it told your ECM and when it told it. You'll know what gear you were in and if the transmission was slow to shift, you'll know why. They're just a really neat tool.

The cable can be purchased at "AKM Cables" for one. They're top notch and it'll be a OBD1 to USB cable. E-mail him and he'll tell you what you need. The datalogging program I like is TTS Datamaster. It's free for 20 logs. Each log lasts a long time. There are other free logging programs out there also. I don't know what tuners charge but I've got one I'll recommend. I've been tuned by most all of them and this guy's really thorough. I'll PM you his name because I don't know about forums, sponsors and such so a PM will be easier.
Awesome! Thanks for all the info and help!
Old 10-15-2011, 06:08 PM   #7
STL94LT1
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to STL94LT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikez35 View Post
I talked to the guy over at Corvette Connection and he suggested putting a stock cam back in saying that the LT1's and TPI's are sensitive to cams and getting them to run right is a challenge.
Note to self: Don't call Corvette Connection asking for advice!!
2006 Cobalt LS (DD)
STL94LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:18 PM   #8
1963SS
Over 500HP Club
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Note to self: Don't call Corvette Connection asking for advice!!
Me neither. That's about the dumbest thing I've EVER heard. Bunch of retards.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:56 PM   #9
rodj
CF Senior Member

Quote:
That's about the dumbest thing I've EVER heard.
But it allows you to charge extra be cause these cars are " hard to do "
rodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:55 PM   #10
pikez35

stang0303 stang0303

yeah won't be doing that again. haha
Old 10-15-2011, 09:55 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page Camshaft Identification

Tags